New on citalopram will this pass?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Took my first dose of 10mg today...and if anything i feel a whole load worse than i normally did. In shaking, feel anxious and woozy, my skin feels all tingly...did anyone else experience this and then it got better? X

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Chantelle,

Yes. This is normal. I was on 20 mg of Citalopram for a year and had a lot of weird physical things like shaking, nausea, woozy, etc. happen when I started. These side effects will fade away. Usually takes 2 to 3 weeks and they will pass.

• Posted

Thats reassuring to know! I will try and put up with it, i have gotten better as the night has went on...which is normal for me my anxiety starts in the day and then come night time im at ease. I think if my side effects dont increase and can stay like this before i get better then i might just be able to cope.
    • Posted

That's a great attitude! I am sure these side effects will start to disappear in about 2 weeks and then you'll be absolutely fine.

• Posted

Yes it will pass. Take some relief in the fact that it's all normal feelings and side effects. Hang in there it will get better x

• Posted

Its reassuring to know that its normal and will passb you have been an absolute god send these past couple days! Xx
    • Posted

Thanks. I needed the same. Message me whenever you need. Peopleon here .got me through in the early days. Hope you get a good night. Remember the mornings are always the worst bit they will.improve xx
  • Posted

Felt terrible the first 4 or 5 days 
    • Posted

On my 4th day as I type this, 20mg.  I’ve registered for support in case I need it.  I was on 40mg seroxat for 6 years. Came off that 14 months ago. It was hell on earth getting off it.  It’s left me when debilitating anxiety so after failed mirtazipine and sertraline trials. I’m hoping this one helps me get anxiety free.... 
    • Posted

Because it made me hypomanic and delusional and made me feel I wanted to kill people literally. It took 5 attempts over four years to get off the crap.   It made me believe in aliens and the illuminati too at one point. Paranoia. Potent stuff. Look at me,  I’m Manny Marrison on Facebook. I’m the nicest person now I’m off it but plagued with severe anxiety a by product of the paxil,  I cannot stabilise hence the starting citalopram to combat it as it’s a much safer weaker drug. 
  • Posted

Yes it does get better, in 2 weeks on 20mg and defo getting better. What is it with morning anxiety though? It’s driving me nuts. So many in here have the same mornings, is it hormones okr something else ? 

Keep going and dig in it will get better. 

• Posted

I agree what is it with the mornings??? Like you said everyone seems to find that's either the last thing to go or the hardest to get through. It would be interesting to see some research done on this???? When my anxiety was at its worst I didn't want to sleep as i hated the thought of the feelings you get when you wake up. Thank God it does get better though

• Posted

Well i got a normal sleep last night but felt absolutely awful this morning, dizzy, shaky, dry heaving, felt like i had a pounding heart. Iv just taken my second pill so god knows how today is going to go🙁 xx

• Posted

Hope today was better
    • Posted

Hi kerry, today has been a tad better, iv still got that constant “hangover” feeling but not as strong. Hopefully thats the side effects calming down. Xx
    • Posted

I have take citalapram before, I have jystvstarted sertraline and increased my dose yesterday, it's funny as I was telling someone that I felt hungover and yukky. It's horrible isn't it. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.