New on citalopram will this pass?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Took my first dose of 10mg today...and if anything i feel a whole load worse than i normally did. In shaking, feel anxious and woozy, my skin feels all tingly...did anyone else experience this and then it got better? X

1 like, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Let me say that the anxiety and all the other uncomfortable side effects will indeed pass. The worse is the first two weeks. It then gets easier from there. I am on my 5th month and I couldn’t imagine when I started that I would ever see the light. At 30 mgs I am, most definitely, in the light. I was on 10 for over 4 months with ups and downs, mostly downs..lol. Went to 20 and now enjoying life at 30. It is a wonderful medication but it is important to remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. You will be ok 👍 

• Posted

This is my third day on 30 mgs. I don’t know if it my imagination or, in fact, the increase to 30, but I felt it on the 2nd day, yesterday. It was by far, the best day I have had since starting Citalopram. Today was a rough day having a family crisis, but I handled the situation that lasted over 6 hours incredibly well, I think. So yes, 30. Seems to be my sweet spot.
  • Posted

Day 4 and i still feel absolutely rotten. Im able to sleep, but when i wake up i dry heave and have a pounding heart. Does anyone else find this? Is this definitely anxiety? Xx 
    • Posted

Do you find it's getting worse as the days go on, I find that it steadily gets worse for a week until the levels settle and then gets better, I was in a right state when i started citalapram, I preseveared and it worked really well, this time I started at a lower dose of a ssri to try and reduce the side effects, it hasn't been as bad this time. If it is too bad may be see if you can take half a dose for a week or so and increase, but you may be almost over the worse now.

• Posted

Hi. It definitely sucks in the beginning. They symptoms will pass and you will feel better as you start to level off. Once you have felt level.on the 10mg go up to 20. I felt the biggest change she I went to 30mg but it's a slow uphill battle for you at the moment. I promise it will get better. Kelp.posting on here was it makes it just about bearable in the early days x

• Posted

Im hoping 10 will be enough🙁 its just awful having this feeling, id say it hasnt got anywors than iv already been feeling and today i have had more oomph to get up and do things not sure if this is a good sign or not as i still feel rotten..as if iv a stomachbug on the way but i know its not.  Xx

• Posted

I have been on ten for 18months and feel good...in the beginning twenty was way too dramatic with side effects. Than o lower to ten and was able to tolarate that dosage better..you will feel better trust me.it. Just seems that you won't...but you will...ask your doctor for a benzo...for those yucky moments..

• Posted

fingers crossed that the 10 dose does the trick. You are doing well staying positive. I hope you continue to improve x
  • Posted

Jutlst re read it, sorry, you are at the lower dose, I started at 20mg. Still rubbish though, hope it improves soon x

• Posted

After feeling brilliant from around 8pm last night, woke up at 8:00 today feeling awful again, back to the dry heaving and feeling rubbish 😪 xx

• Posted

Another update. Iv had a very strange day today. Iv had more periods of feeling normalish, then the horibleness comes back...wondering if this is the pills taking more effect. 
    • Posted

So will the horrible waves get less and less? And as they lessen good waves will happen more and then hopefully permanently? Xx
    • Posted

Yes Chantel..don't ever think the meds aren't working because they are at any dose...

• Posted

Thankyou your helping me so much. I actually feel really good just now. Gettin some mild heart palpitations but nothing thats worrying me. Even plucking up the courage to go out to bingo im feeling that good!😊 hope this is me for the night! Xx

• Posted

Hi. You are doing really well.hanging in there. I think one of the most frustrating things is when you feel.om and for no apparent reason a wave of panic or anxiety hits you. It really knocks your self belief and makes you think It won't get better. You will definitely improve. Have you looked on the bus website??? They have some really good articles on anxiety panic and depression. I have listened to the audio in anxiety and it really makes a lot of sense. It has helped me to cope with it more when it comes along xx

• Posted

Yes palpitations are either side effects or anxiety or both..but they will soon disappeared..it took me 8 months to finally saw wow.this is working but I never gave up ..and always had hope ...bingo is so much fun...
    • Posted

Thanks joanne, the more i feel normal the more positivity i have towards the pills. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.