New on remeron want to stop

Posted , 9 users are following.

New here. I was started on 15 mg and was sedated for almost 24 hours! My Dr said to cut in half and it worked great for the next night. Last night I was ready to run a marathon I took the half dose and was ridiculously high I then took the second half and it didn't help at all. I only slept 4 hours. I want to just stop the med completely now.

I see my Dr in a week (on vacation) does anyone think it's safe to just stop it after 3 days? Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Listen to lorraine and mud. Even though im having an absolutly horrific and i mean horrific withdrawl it literally saved my life last year i was so unwell with depression and not eating. Can you phone for phone app to discuss other alternitve? I do hope you get something that suits you
    • Posted

Thank you Kelly. I've had the phone to phone convo with dr and the best advice was come into the office.....which is next week. I'm stopping it on my own since it's only been 3 days and if we both feel it's best I'll restart or go on another med

• Posted

Hi Tess

Sorry for your suffering.

Just to cover everything, I'm wondering about the Xanax and the Benzo' Dalmane - both addictive, both need a slow taper over a considerable time as you say youu have been on them "forever".

I guess you will experience wd effects if you skip a dose of thoses, just a thought.

Yes I would say "just stop" - only 3 days on Mirt - you should get off quick if you've decided its not for you, the longer you leave it the harder it will be.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thank you for the well wishes Calmer. The remeron would have taken the place of the benzo and Xanax wo any WD symptoms but I'll restart both and stay off the Mirtz until I see the Dr.

To be honest, reading some of these threads has made me more than a little scared of this med. I'm leaning more and more toward the cymbalta my regular dr wanted me in last year.

• Posted

It took me almost a full year to taper off benzos after taking them for every day for 1.5 years or so, back around 2002. Ugh. 

My second doctor put me on mirtazapine to get through ativan withdrawal, along with switching me from ativan to valium because it has a much longer half life so it's easier to quit. (Shorter half lives are much more difficult to stop, benzos with longer half lives like Xanax and Ativan are harder to quit.) My original doctor gave me ativan for panic attacks and told me to take it as needed. Which I did, with impunity. I had to take more and more to feel the effects because I didn't know it was addictive and how quickly your body builds a tolerance against it. Benzo withdrawal, I'm telling you, is hell on earth. That is true, debilitating, want-to-die, going-insane withdrawal.

After starting my benzo taper I still went through withdrawal, but with mirtazpaine I could manage it, the panic attacks stopped and I could sleep. Since then I always keep one benzo on me at all times, just in case, but I've only taken maybe 3 benzos in the last 12 years. And now I make sure I research everything I put in my body. I'm still so angry that my first doctor never warned me about benzos—I was young and I was panicking all the time after my dad died and I trusted my doctor completely so it didn't even enter my mind that it could be unsafe.

Conversely, I quit mirtazapine cold turkey and had to only deal with maybe 10 days of increased anxiety and general weirdness. Also, I didn't just come off an SSRI and I wasn't taking any other ADs or anxiety meds.

As far as reading scary stuff in this forum, remember, 99.99% of the time, people come here because they're having a hard time on whatever med they're on. They're at the end of their rope and they're desperate for relief and peace. So 99.99% of the posts you read here are going to be from people freaking out, thinking mirtazapine is ruining their lives, when, in fact, it's usually depression or anxiety symtoms coming back after they stopped taking mirtazapine, or because they stopped taking another drug before going on mirtazapine, or they're taking another drug concurrently.

In my experience, I have yet to meet anyone online or in person that had a hard time starting mirtazapine if they weren't taking or coming off of any other drug. It appears that, at least with the people I've spoken too, the problems seem to arise when another drug is or was recently in your system. I'm not saying mirtazapine problems don't exist. I'm just saying that it's generally accepted to be better tolerated than SSRIs—esepcially because there are no sexual side effects like with Paxil—and that if you have anxiety there may not be a better, more effective, faster-acting, non-addictive drug on the planet than mirtazapine.

Sorry that was so long!

• Posted

You've made some great points Mud. Sigh. I have a lot to think about not the least of which is this major depressive disorder I've been diagnosed with. You're def right about ppl coming here to mostly complain about their experiences with a drug and seek out advice from others.

It's so scary trying new drugs and even tho we know we need them those2 horrible words scare us to death.....side effects....wreaks havoc with our minds, which at least in my case is already compromised. Pile on top of that are Drs too busy to adequately monitor and treat patients and there you have it. The whole reason for this board! After my psych ER overnight stay I was told to schedule an appt w psychologist and psychiatrist - well I was put on a 30 patient waiting list. So off to my regular dr. I feel like I'm in a zoo.

Sorry for my long response. Thanks for listening everyone, it does help to know someone out there is like me-I'm not alone.

• Posted

Hi Mud

Thats an interesting angle, folks sensitised nervous system due to swapping and changing AD's, Benzo's, Z drugs ... I also believe that once a person has a sensitised nervous system due to incorrect use, upping and downing the dosages, or tapering having an adverse reaction, well they seem to be the hardest affected and need special care.

And Tess, I hear what you are saying when you say "remeron would have taken the place of the benzo and Xanax wo any WD symptoms" I doubt it would be that easy in mho, different drug.

• Posted

Well 3 days off and no signs of wd symptoms. I asked the psychiatrist several times if I no longer take the Dalmane and Xanax and was told I do not take them, just the remeron. I could take Xanax bc the dose is so low at 0.25 but no more than 1 qd.
    • Posted

Its the paragraph when you said  ridiculously high I then took the second half and it didn't help at all. I only slept 4 hours

the 'ridiculously high' part sounds like a reaction, maybe I'm wrong, not saying you were, just to be aware that taper would be needed after being on so long - just worth noting, just in case ...

• Posted

Hmmm interesting. I don't know. My daughter said maybe it was bc I had slept so much the past 2 days before that I just wasn't tired but I was feel like I was high. Great mood, talkative, not in the least sleepy.... Wanted to watch tv and talk all night. So was well rested or high? I took the Xanax bc my thoughts were racing and I insisted on staying in bed. I don't have an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.