New on remeron want to stop

Posted , 9 users are following.

New here. I was started on 15 mg and was sedated for almost 24 hours! My Dr said to cut in half and it worked great for the next night. Last night I was ready to run a marathon I took the half dose and was ridiculously high I then took the second half and it didn't help at all. I only slept 4 hours. I want to just stop the med completely now.

I see my Dr in a week (on vacation) does anyone think it's safe to just stop it after 3 days? Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Tess, put that stuff in the bin. If you need sleep help, then find something else, Remeron has ruined my life. I am 62, and after 8 years at 45mg, had to get off of it due to side effects. It took three tries and I am still suffering. I started trying to get off that crap 2.5 years ago, and have had more suffering and pain than the entire rest of my life, and I did not have an easy life. I am in bed now, lost over 40 pounds, and it doesn't look like I will recover. So look at me as what you don't want your life to become. If the doctor won't give you something else, then get another doctor. I have spent thousands of dollars on ER visits and hospital bills trying to get my life back, with no luck, thanks to mirtazapine. THROW IT IN THE TRASH! BE KIND TO YOUR BODY! David

• Posted

David, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time but if Remeron was truly evil then it would ruin EVERYONE'S lives, which is simply not happening.

Do you have any other medical conditions? Were you diagnosed with some sort of reaction to mirtazapine? Are you taking other meds? 

I hope you feel better really soon, but it is irresponsible to tell people to throw their meds in the garbage just because you're having a difficult time, esepcially since it might not even be the mirtazapine that did this to you. Please tell us more?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't think it's constructive to be an alarmist about AD drugs like this. In fact, it can do MUCH more harm than good. It's like this: peanuts are geneally harmless. Billions of people eat peanuts every single day without any problems whatseover. But hundreds of thousands, maybe a few million people, are deathly allergic to peanuts and even a tiny peanut crumb will send them to the hopsital, or worse. But that doesn't mean that all peanuts should be thrown in the trash, it just means that THOSE people should avoid peanuts.

• Posted

Hi Tess

David may not of had a good experience with mirt. That doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone. Please dont throw your medication in the bin, this action is not going to help you tess, considering how bad you felt when you went to ER a couple of days back due to untreated depression. I liked mirt it was a life saver. I am no longer on it and found tapering carefully gave me no problems when i was ready to come off it. The sedation will dissappear and you will start to feel so much better xxx

• Posted

Yes Tess, listen to Lorraine, I had a rough go, and only wish that I had never heard of the stuff, and know many others who feel the same. But in the end, regardless of how it effected me, or Lorraine, if you use it long term, it will be how it effects you that matters, and that is all that will matter. I wish you well. David
    • Posted

Hi David

I'm so sorry you have had such a bad time. How long have you been off mirt for? Have you lost so much weight since stopping? You mentioned you were in bed which suggests your not feeling well at all. What is your doc saying? Really wish you better David ?

• Posted

I have been off mirt almost 8 months, this my third attempt, due to heart rhythm side effects caused by the mirt, probably the histamine block that Remeron has, that the others don't, that helps you sleep when taking it. I am a retired Fire Chief, and retired after 31.5 years on the job. I ahve been trying to get off the mirt for 2.5 years, and yes, the weight loss has been during withdrawal, from 195 to 155. I feel like a scarecrow. No enrgy, no quality of life. I tried going back on the mirt, and felt much better, but the the heart rhythm problem started and my cardiologist took me off for good. My main leftover wd symptom is GI problems, abdominal pain and cramps, which cleared up each time that I went back on it. The docs here don't know beans about what to do to help you come off it, only to put you on it. My mother is 79, and has been on Remeron for at least 15 years, and is fine. It is just such a chance in taking it that it scares me when I see someone going on it when I know what might happen. When I was handed my first sample 15 mg Soltab, I wish that someone had jerked it out of my hand. But that is just me. Like I said, I am typing this laying in bed with GI problems that are only relieved by mirt, and that I didn't have before mirt. Good luck to you all!

• Posted

Oh David

my heart goes out to you. I only took it for six months and I tapered like a snail. I was told to go on both mirtazipine and venlafaxine. I was feeling heaps better so decided to let go of the mirt first, then work on getting off venlafaxine. I remember communicating with you before, and so sorry you are going through this. Try not to give up by thinking you won't get better, I know it's been an ordeal for you, but you won't remain this way forever ?

After all your years of hard work, you deserve and WILL have a good quality of life again. I know it feels hopeless but it's not. Your still young and life will get better for you xxx

• Posted

Interesting that you mention GI problems, and thank you for responding. My stomach started hurting early this morning and I couldn't tell whether to eat or keep it empty. I have trouble keeping weight on bc I'm also on topamax for a nerve problem in my leg.....topamax causes weight loss. I was a nurse, disabled due to surgical/anesthesia error 3 yrs ago hence the depression. With all the side effects this med has its looking more and more like it may not be the best choice for me. I'll see my regular doc next week and discuss options. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Omg david what a horrible time. This is the exact symptoms im having and only been off mirt 7.5mg for a week the abdominal pains and cramps are crippling me and ive lost 6lbs since i came off only managing a couple rich teas. I am on another ad since sat and i havent been able to go to work this week let alone move from the sofa! The reson i came off was the sedative effect wouldnt wear off at all and i was suffering nausea. I do hope you can recover
    • Posted

God bless you Lorraine, You just put tears in my eyes. God bless your precious, tender heart, David
    • Posted

Good luck to you as well. It sounds like you are in the same boat with me. My abdomen feels like someone has a rope around my waist and is pulling it from the back, just below my ribs. I had a colonoscopy june 23rd to rule out colon cancer, and have had 3 abdominal CT scans, with and without contrast. I have been to the ER several times, and thousands in hospital bills. So if I am a little down on mirtazapine, that is my reason. During the worst of my withdrawals I prayed for death. By the way from my experience, and those of friends that I have met on forums, 4 - 5 days after your last dose is about when things start, I used a heating pad on my belly for months. Kelly, the best to you, and a short withdrawal. Let me know how you do with your abdominal symptoms. David
    • Posted

Thank you david and it was bang on 4 days! Did you have any problems with diarrhea as unfortunatly that has now come on 😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.