New Osteoporosis diagnosis

Posted , 11 users are following.

After reading many discussions in this group, very happy to find this group, I see that I need to add vitamin k and magnesium to my vitamins already take Hydroxyapatite and d3. Very shocked to learn that a -2.5 for my left hip was not as a terrible diagnosis as they made it out to be with  Osteopenia in lumbar spine. They tried to put my on Reclast and when I refused, they  tried prolia, which I said no to that too. They ordered Aledronate 70 mg. Not sure about that. Always hear everyone complain of bone pain. Any good reviews?

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I agree with Kathleen.  Admittedly my t-score was only -2, but it  should encourage you to know that in one year I improved that number to -1.6, simply through appropriate exercise, nutrition and a few supplements.  So it can be done.  I hope to see continued improvement the next time I'm eligible for a scan.

• Posted

Do u take any particular supplements. If so pls share
    • Posted

I do happen to take a calcium supplement specially formulated to build stronger bones but this is because I lost a lot a weight which I don't seem able to regain so I think I'm not absorbing enough nutrients from my food.  So I think a normal calcium plus Vitamin D supplement is a good place to start.  Then add Vitamin K2.  if you've been taking a lot of extra calcium your calcium/magnesium balance may be out of whack so a bit of extra magnesium may not go amiss.  However we do get a lot of calcium and magnesium from a healthy diet, especially one rich in leafy green vegetables.  I read somewhere that magnesium is to plants what iron is to animals, so there you go!  It's suggested that good foods to add are prunes (for the boron) and yoghurt (as it improves calcium metabolism).  Liquid milk is NOT the best way to get your dietary calcium.  Fermented foods like yoghurt, kefir and some cheeses are better.  In fact fermented foods (think sauerkraut and its relatives, for example) are healthy choices as they help to rebalance our gut flora which may have been damaged by antibiotics, stress, poor dietary choices, etc.

• Posted

Having been diagnosed with both PMR and GCA I have been taking prednisone since last June. Started on 50mg, now down to 9 and tapering using the DSNS method successfully (so far). However a dexa scan last November after only spraining my ankle ...I've never had a break in 62 years touch wood...shows I have severe osteoporosis with a score of -4. My dr and rheumy advised I've obviously had this for many years (with no symptoms may I add) and although very fit, exercise regularly depending on how I feel with the PMR, eat a healthy balanced diet and take calcium, D3, K2, magnesium etc,  I am still in that very high  risk catagory. Very hard to accept I have to limit myself from a fall when I dance, swim, do yoga, pick up young grandchildren etc. I don't look or feel as if I have anything wrong with me, apart from needing a waking stick on a bad day with PMR. So..its Prolia for me I'm afraid and my rheumy would not accept me saying I could possibly improve this with diet and excercise. His words "well it hasn"t worked for you so far has it", then went on to explain very seriously that I have a 25% chance of dying from a break as a result of a fall, 50% chance of needing a permanent carer or a hostel, and 25% chance of a more severe decrease in mobility than I already have on a bad PMR day. I had to check dental work prior to commencing, (tooth extraction needed because  although a crown would do, the tooth may not last another 5 years on Prolia and no major dental jaw work can be done while on it ) then due to going overseas on a pre booked holiday I only had the first injection this week. Even the nurse who administered the needle said you don't see a score that bad very often...so fingers crossed I don' t get too many side effects. The prednisone have enough of those smile   I'll let you know. 

• Posted

I too had no symptoms and even when I fractured a vertebrae I refused a dexa scan because I did not think I could possibly have OP because I always ate well, exercised regularly and no family history either. I also had never been on any of the medications that can cause OP. I am certain, that if a person lacks a good diet, does not exercise, smokes or is on medication that contributes to bone thinning,  then changes any of these, it is possible to improve bone density. But, if you have always done all the correct things, I don’t see how it can change.
    • Posted

Everyone is is unique.

Although I have a-4.3 tscore in my lumbar I won’t be taking the meds any time soon. There is a lot of other issues in my back as well. I have scoliosis, arthritis, degeneration disc disease plus some other recorded. The osteoporosis is just one problem. Your PMR is probably more of a concern for you.

I do not like the sound of the guy who said those scary things to you.

Enjoy your life with your dancing and grandkids. If you can do it then you are better off than I am. I am limited but not from osteoporosis.

I wish I never had a scan. Most people I know have not and the one who has had issues with prolia and fosamax.

Do whatever keeps you happy!

• Posted

Yes, keep us updated on the side effects. The improvement of the T score will not noticed for awhile but would love to hear how it helped as well. 

I’m hoping to hear good news you deserve it!

• Posted

Having the dexa scan was always on the cards for me while being on prednisone as one of its nasty little side effects is osteoporosis , along with many others. No doubt it contributed to it but in my case didn’t cause it as I haven’t been on it long enough to have such a bad score. And for all the correct things I do,  it turns out my mother had it, (athough never had a break until she was 95 and still lived to 99 actively in a  hostel), I’m very small boned, early menopause, another long story, but as I said I can’t really improve my lifestyle either. I dont drink or smoke. I’m really quite boring. I guess I was always destined to get it. Just wish it was picked up somehow (without breaking a bone)  a lot earlier so I could have worked on it before the need for Prolia. Four days after the first injection and no side effects....fingers toes and everything else crossed that it stays like this. If you don’t hear me winging in the future you know it’s all good 💪

• Posted

Your not boring just because you don’t drink or smoke. I too wish I had known before I fractured, but it seems to be quite common for there to be no indication until a fracture is investigated. Prednisone appears to be a drug that can cause OP but it seems to reverse when you stop taking it. I don’t even have the hereditary factor. Perhaps my bone turnover is just a little faster on the breakdown and a little less efficent in the making of new bone. When we start new meds and read all the side effects, it is easy to imagine we have are experincing everything on the list. I hope everything goes well for you.
  • Posted

Because my mother had osteoporosis I requested a DEXA scan 6 1/2 years ago at the age of 69. I was diagnoseed with osteoporosis and went on a five year course of Alendronate 70 with which I had no adverse reactions, I'm pleased to say. My results were -2.5 ( the osteoporosis diagnosis), the others -2.2 and -2.4. Six and a half years on and, in November, I learnt that I should have had a follow up DEXA scan three years ago. I subsequently had this and had the results this week. All of my results have improved. All under -2.0. I know that the medication doesn't  make this difference but exercise does and I play tennis. Twice a week in winter and 3-4 in summer. At the time of my first DEXA scan I had tendonitis so couldn't play tennis for about 18 months. I also walk with my dog almost every day.  Regarding dental work. I have had no problems with my dental treatment either. What puzzles me is that a young doctor categorically told me that once diagnosed with osteoporosis nothing can change it. Surely she should advise that, if load bearing exercise is possible, it can make a positive difference. I was also rebuked for forgetting to take my daily calcium tablets. 

• Posted

The meds have made a huge difference to my scores. I started at -3.5 and -3.4 and in 2 years my scan improved to -2.9 and -2.4. I also take calcium D3 and K2. I have always exercised and my diet hasn't changed so I put my improvements down to the combination of supplements and Risedronate. No side effects and no dental issues either but, if possible I would like to stop taking the drugs after 3 years. Keep up the good work.

• Posted

Risedronate is for male osteoporosis. But like all the rest, if you have acid reflux, it’s not a good idea to take it; besides being female. That’s the case with all these medications for osteoporosis. I have had acid reflux for years.  Anyone know if a medication for osteoporosis that doesn’t inflame acid reflux?
    • Posted

I think risedronate can be used in women who are past menopause.  Certainly I hear about this drug as an alternative if AA doesn't work out.  None of the OP drugs should be taken for years on end, as they used to be before we knew better. 

• Posted

It was good to read your experience, Alison. Whether through my own ignorance, or lack of understanding of the Alendronate 70 effects, I was led to believe that the medication would stop calcium leaching from my bones, therefore the T score wouldn't worsen. I should have done more research. Since I have taken very little calcium D3 that can't have had much influence over the improvement. Whatever the reasons I am a tennis 'nut' and don't need much encouragement to continue to play at every opportunity. What is heartening is that, at 75, I'm still very active. May it long continue and for you, too. 

• Posted

I can assure you linda, I am certainly all female and risedronate has worked well for me.

• Posted

This is true to an extent njs. It stops the bone from breaking down so quickly, which is a natural process, but perhaps some of us naturally have bone that breaks down a bit too quickly. I build muscle very quickly but my husband doesn’t. And, he's the one with the testosterone.!!! So we are all different. I am 63 and I exercise daily, because I enjoy it, always have. Even after I fractured my lumbar vertebrae, I went back to running after 2 weeks. It was agony, but I kept telling myself it would improve. After diagnosis, I went to a good physio and got the exercises to help me straighten up while I healed. But, even then, I was to do the exercises 3 times a day so I did 5 sessions. Some people find it difficuilt because they find it boring but if you find something you enjoy, its not boring. So, keep up with your tennis

• Posted

I believe you. I just wish I didn’t have acid reflux which causes problems with each one of the medications out there.  I just bought vitamin K and magnesium to hmgo with my D3 and calcium.  I’m hoping that with those items we see a difference. I’ve already had 2 stress fractures in my feet from exercising. Walking (twisted my foot) and the small exercise trampoline.   I care not to have any more stress or full blown fractures. 
    • Posted

I will be discussing my new diagnosis with my doctor soon and debating the merits, or otherwise, of another 5 years on Aldronate 70. That's the recommendation of the clinic that did the scan. There are so many conflicting opinions and a few studies, none of which are conclusive. Thank you for your comments, Alison. 

• Posted

There are other OP meds you can take if you suffer from acid reflux. Strontium Renelate is taken orally, disolved in water, some of the Bisphosphonates can be give as an injection and Parathyroid hormone has also been shown to regulate the intake of calcium into bone. There are other meds, so speak to your practicioner and discuss your options, you fears and your medical problems. Best wishes
    • Posted

Isn't ranelate being discontinued?  Strontium citrate suggested by some as a suitable subsititute, and being a natural version of strontium probably healthier in the long run anyway?  Not that I plan to find out!

• Posted

I don’t know where linda is but where I am, it is still in use. I was merely pointing out that she has options and should speak with her medical team. I feel your final comment is unhelpful to people,  who are trying to find their way, in what is for most of us, a very difficuilt decision.
    • Posted

I’m sorry, I’m still here and read your post and really appreciate your feedback and assistance with other medications. That is EXACTLY what I was hoping for. To have someone help with other options!  

My acid reflux and stomach pain is really bad and adding anything new into the mix just makes it 10 times worse. 

I’ll check with my doctor and let you know how it went.

Thank you. 

• Posted

There is no need to apoligise linda. We are all on diffferent time zones. I share my experiences here, in the hope that I can give a balanced view of treatments available and lifestyle choices. I also hope to lean from others. Let me know how it goes, whatever you decide to do, you have my support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.