new plan for panic attacks scared!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've been on lexapro since end of November till now.. still having panic attacks that won't stop.. it's happening like every 5 days there so severe I almost end up in the hospital.. I do take .5mgs of klonopin as well. And they are still breaking thru out of the blue no reason for them.. a while back I had a bad experience with trying to get on prozac. I was hospitalized 2x n had to get off.. I was in a real bad spot .. the doctor is now suggesting I start paxil.. n I'm extremely scared to change meds n deal with all the start up side effects.. anybody out there can please give me so advice or some positive experiences..it would be greatly appreciated.. thank u

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Paxil worked really good for me.  Of course everyone else's chemistry is different. Just have to give it a try.  Your not alone in your feelings of having anxiety switching medications, because our minds fill with "what if's"  Those are the times you need to do things you enjoy doing, and other things to keep your mind occupied to minimize the negative thinking.  Guided meditations work, they take persistance.  Give it a try.  You will find out what works, just tell yourself this is my anxiety, and I accept it.  Then go about what you were doing.  Wish you peace of mind!
    • Posted

I do .do cbt therapy n dbt therapy 3x a week.. it definitely helps but the panic comes out of left field for me.. did you have any start up side effects and how long did they last for you.?

Thank u for the response

• Posted

I tried all of those and many more for a total of 20 or more medications.  They did not work and just got me more side effects.  But my Doc was all about helping me so he did look for options.  Xanax 0.5mg twice daily did the trick but killed my mechanical functions ( if you know what I mean) so he changed to Diazepam 5mg twice daily which worked as well and have been on the same dose for nearly 7 months. Now he gave me the green light to wean off but I'm waiting on one more real health problem I have to lower my dose.   People say xanax and diazepam (valium) are addictive, but is all about how you control the dose given and keep it that way. ;-)
    • Posted

I know the antidepressants suck with side effects.. but I'm so scared to get addicted to those meds.. n I do manage them well.. but being on them long term scares the crap out of me.. thanks for the reply
    • Posted

You have to understand some people may not have balance brain chemistry and may need medication in assisting in getting seretonin balanced, and then can seek counseling as well to get a full recovery.  Everyone is different, and some cope better.  Yes, I battled with I don't want to take a medication for the rest of my life, or be on one period.  But my life is much better being on them, then not.  People have to decide that for themselves, along with recommendations from medical professionals.  I truly recommend to many to rule out physiological ailments,  get counseling, and when it fails try medications.
  • Posted

Medication will just partly solve your issues. What you'll need  is to get to the cause. You need to find a good therapist, who will get to the bottom of your anxiety, it just doesn't come out of the blue. If you keep focussing on medication, you will be dealing with anxiety the rest of your life. Medication is just aiming at fighting the symptoms, not solving the root cause.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is known to be very effective in solving anxiety. Expecially if combined with breathing exercises. You need to reconnect with yourself, and feel safe in your own body again.

Find yourself that therapist.

Anxiety is not an illness like an infection, which you can heal with medication, you need to cure the cause.

• Posted

Thank u for your reply.. I actually am in a dbt therapy group 3x a week.. have a personal therapist that also does cbt.. I've been working on it for about 5 weeks now.. but I am not having any irrational thinking or stress when these panic attacks come out of the blue.. it's frustrating one week I think I'm good back to my old self again the next I'm down in the tubes again with this panic.. not only that but as the panic attacks come they change symtoms each time.. so it's so hard to say well this is only a panic attack I'll be ok.. because there different sometimes.. where I get scared maybe it's not a panic attack.. but I've been checked for everything medical except waiting on results of maybe a Hormonal imbalance..
    • Posted

lindathepinda is right.  Think of if you were crossing the street and you noticed a car coming right at you. You fight or flight responses kick in.  But sometimes like those of us that suffer from anxiety, start body scanning, am I o.k. Oh no my heart is racing, could it be this, could it be that, all kinds of "what if's"  that feed our anxieties.  It becomes a vicious cycle, I know.  Main point, is we have programmed our brains to focus on "what if's" If you go seek counseling, they can assist you with finding out what your anxiety thinking is.  Then help you how to correct you anxiety thinking.  Until then try to get involved in doing things you enjoy doing, to keep your mind consumed.  Talk with friends and family, a conversation can help you keep your mind away from what I call "hamster wheel anxiety thoughts"  It works.  try making time to meditate,  definitely guided medications, and when you become distracted be sure to refocus on the guidance of the voice.  Wish you peace of mind!
    • Posted

Thank u so much well said agree. I am working on it with a therapist 3x a week.. smile I will try more meditation..
    • Posted

Good to read you are getting therapy, be patient, 5 weeks is not that long, give it time.

Anxiety symtpoms tend to jump around, from one body system or organ to the next, which makes it even more difficult to handle. Breathing exercises really would do you good, you can find some at the bottom right of this page. Though they might look too simple to work: don't underestimate the effect; they will relax your body and mind if you keep doing them several times a day. On the long term they will make you less susceptible to anxiety attacks since doing them structurallythey wind down your autonomic nervous system

Also guided meditations can help a great deal, as Michael points out. You can find many on youtube.

Wish you good luck, take care.

• Posted

Do you have any medical conditions?
    • Posted

None.. except right now I'm waiting for results of hormonal imbalance.. the blood work takes 3-4 weeks to come back..
    • Posted

Is that making you anxious?  The waiting, that not knowing?
    • Posted

Not really but I'm hoping it's that.. I feel like at least I have a reason to y this is happening .. n they can get me on supplements to help with it..
    • Posted

I am not sure if that covers checking you thyroid?  You may want to get that checked.  Thyroid controls all of our bodies chemistry, hormones, etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.