new plan for panic attacks scared!!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've been on lexapro since end of November till now.. still having panic attacks that won't stop.. it's happening like every 5 days there so severe I almost end up in the hospital.. I do take .5mgs of klonopin as well. And they are still breaking thru out of the blue no reason for them.. a while back I had a bad experience with trying to get on prozac. I was hospitalized 2x n had to get off.. I was in a real bad spot .. the doctor is now suggesting I start paxil.. n I'm extremely scared to change meds n deal with all the start up side effects.. anybody out there can please give me so advice or some positive experiences..it would be greatly appreciated.. thank u

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you been on the same dose since November or increased at all? Have you skipped around on the Klonopin by chance? It could also be that you are scared to give this medicine a chance to work given the side effects you had with Prozac. I am "hyper aware" of all the changes in my body when increasing the dosage. 
    • Posted

Yes I have upped the lexapro to 20mgs 4 weeks ago.. yes I have switched around with the klonopin dose.. the doctor tells me to take .5mgs 2x a day I take .5mg at night the .25mgs in the morning ..the klonopin kinda makes me loopy n drunk.. so I don't like taking .5mgs during the day
  • Posted

Okay...I would hold out for a little longer on the increase for at least a couple more weeks. You are adjusting still. I know it is hard. I am the worlds worst. I upped mine recently by 12.5mg only and had horrible side effects on the 4th day. I dropped back down like a chicken. When I went on Zoloft before it took 12 weeks for it to work for me. It's absolutely awful...I GET IT! I am trying to find out what to do about myself. Been on Zoloft for 9 years at 50 mg and went up to 75mg 5 weeks ago. Still not feeling myself. Had horrible burning / skin crawling sensations at week 2. Upped it to 87.5 on week 4 for four days and had a massive panic attack. I couldn't settle down. So...what I am doing per the dr. is using the Klonopin .25 at night every night, not skipping and hoping that I see some kind of turn in the next couple of weeks. I am also going to get another opinon from a different dr. I had bloodwork done on my hormones and they came back "normal" according to the test, but my understanding is that can be hit or miss??? I need to have my OB look at it. My thyroid is fine. Although, I was hoping it was that so I could say..."Ah Ha!" 
    • Posted

I get that burning sensation as well.. it's the worst feeling ever.. maybe I should stay on for a couple more weeks at least until my tests come back.. that should be enough of time.. right now I'm getting a severe panic attack every 5 days.. so I can deal alittle longer I think.. I'm gonna talk to my doctor Tuesday n talk about it.. I'm gonna take the .5mgs tomorrow during the day like prescribed it's a Sunday so I can be drowsy, n dizzy nothing to really do.. see how it works out.
    • Posted

Well, I am here if you need to message me. I am struggling too. From someone who had 9 good years on Zoloft, you will get through it and will feel better. My concern for myself is Zolfot poop out and what to go to next. So...I may be in for another round if they change my RX. I demand that WE will feel better soon!!!!!!! smile 
    • Posted

Thank u for all ur support.. it's so much appreciated u have no idea.. no one that doesn't go thru this doesn't understand how scary this is..
    • Posted

For kids is monsters and no one believes them because is all in their minds , for us is anxiety which is our monster and no one believes us as well. ;-) jeje
  • Posted

I can relat to you. I have had bad experince with medication to. I have had anxieties and panic attacks and yes they are scary. Mine has made me end up in the E.R. at times and they put me on a heart monitor because my heart rate is over 100 around 115 to a 120. All the E.R DO is give me a shot of ativan to help with my anxieties.

I was on Paxil and it gave me insomnia and i was still restless on it. 

At the end of December i did not like how things were going so i asked my doctor please I am not sleeping good, I am up at night crying, please put me back on Zoloft, Trazodone, and Lamotrigine with my Lorazepam. I have been sleeping better and i am a lot calmer with my moods. 

Please do not give up on medication even though you had some bad experince with them you should at least try paxil or maybe Zoloft its helping with mine.

Also you have to understand that anxieties and panic attacks is a fight, or flight they are feelings maybe something is triggering them its a good idea to talk to a therapist on how to handle you panic attacks. DBT and CBT are good ways to learn them 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.