New Shingles Vaccine "Shingrix"

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've had my first round of "Shingrix", the new shingles 2-dose vaccine. This vaccine was just approved in January 2018 and has a 97% success rate, docs say.

Anyone else had the vaccine?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I want to get it after my shingles are gone
    • Posted

Good for you. I know alot of people are a little spooked about this latest vaccine but I felt encouraged by the fact that THIS one is not a live vaccine like the other and also its 97% success rate. That's huge for ANY vaccine. Fingers crossed

• Posted

Hi r.f.  Have you had any side effects? I’ve got the script to get the shingrex vaccine and plan on getting it in the next couple of days. Hoping no side effect. I guess if there is it still better than suffering with shingles again 
    • Posted

Hi Sheila. I don't want to scare you away from getting the Shingrix vaccine but I want to be totally honest with you, as I would want others to be with me. First of all, i WILL definitely be going back for the second shot (it's a 2-dose vaccine) without ANY hesitation because a 97% success rate is HUGE! I don't know of many drugs with THAT high success rate and I need that kind of miracle, as we ALL do, who are fighting this hateful illness. Shingles has taken my life away for nearly 8 years now, so i will be the first one to the door that day for my second and final dose.

That being said and remembering that everyone's case is different, yes....I did have side effects, quite a bit but don't let that stop you from getting the vaccine. Everyone's case is different and like you said, its easier than shingles. I did have the headaches and nausea with aches and pains. Overall, I felt bad for about 5 days but it WAS easier than shingles outbreak. You may need to take couple days off from work or you may not have any side effects that stop you. Most are doing fine from what i've been reading. The CDC data says most only get mild side effects, for only 2-3 days, from this new vaccine and from what I've researched, that's truthfully been the case.

• Posted

Thank you for your quick response r.f.  I have held off getting it because of a few social events I had to attend. I will go forth and get it now. I will have some gravol  and some xstrenth Tylenol on hand if needed. 
    • Posted

That's good Sheila. I know you are nervous about this but not having the vaccine could cost you alot of pain and suffering caused by a shingles outbreak. I dare say anyone on this forum that is suffering from shingles and what it leaves behind, would have ran if need be to get that vaccine, had it been available back years ago, so you are surely making a wise decision. And with a 97% success rate, lady luck is definitely in your corner. I can hardly wait for June to get here, so I can get my second dose. I will say a prayer for you friend, as i'm sure everyone reading your post here will do the same, for you to have an easy time with the vaccine, with side effects little to none. Be sure to hydrate fully and stay hydrated after the vaccine and keep a good positive outlook. You will do great. 🙏

• Posted

Thank you again for your prayers and positive message. I will report on this forum when I get my vaccination and the results of any side effects. I appreciate this forum and to each and every one with their input 
    • Posted

Sweet response, Shelia. Good luck friend. We will all be lifting you up. Keep thinking positive. Looking forward to a great report back on how its going. Its gonna work...its gonna work...its gonna work : )
  • Posted

Hi!  I had the vaccine the first day it was offered in Bryan, TX....January 1.  My arm was sore for about 2 days.  I had the second vaccine in April.   In addition to the sore arm, I felt achy and exhausted when I woke up the next morning, and that lasted a good 24 hours...stayed in bed or on the sofa the whole day.   I did not have chills or a fever.  That day was no fun, but I missed almost 5 weeks of work after getting shingles in my left eye in January 2017, and I'd put up with just about any side effects to avoid going through that ordeal again!  I recommend getting the vaccine injections when you have a couple of days to allow for side effects.  Best wishes to all who are dealing with this horrible virus and to those getting the vaccine!

• Posted

Thank you Valerie for sharing this. That sounds so promising. I agree that ANY side effect is worth NOT having the shingles ever again. Happy to hear it went so well for you after the vaccine 1 & 2. My second vaccine is scheduled for June and I can't wait! Thanks again and you stay well friend

• Posted

Hi all I am waiting for this vaccine to come available in the UK. I had the other vaccine which I had to pay £130 and it didn't work for me. I have read up on this one and like what I have read. My Doctor said it should be available later this year. So I will have it then. I have suffered with shingles for about 38 years. I am so fed up with it. I wish you all well. X

• Posted

Hi ukulele girl. Sorry you have these hateful shingles to deal with too. I had the first vaccine too and did have some but not complete relief for 3 years but I'm back on the 3000 mg a day antiviral again. Like you, I'm pretty excited about this new shingles vaccine with all the doctors are saying about it. They are claiming 97% success rate...i will bet those odds any day. Fingers crossed. I've had the first of this 2 dose vaccine. Not sure what I was expecting from this first dose but things are pretty much the same but I'm still going in for the second dose in June anyway. Hope it works great for you, girl. Hope it works for us ALL. God bless

• Posted

May I ask the cost. I understand no Health Care providers are covering the shots yet.
    • Posted

I’m 53 years old and paid $175 for each of the 2 injection in Texas.   I don’t know if my insurance would have helped, but the pharmacy I have to use with my insurance did not get the vaccine until March.  I was desperate and decided not to wait and just went with the pharmacy that had it first.
    • Posted

I would have paid for it myself, too, if my insurance hadn’t covered it.  Would have been the best money I’d ever spent.  I am never going to have shingles again!
    • Posted

I've got Blue Cross, Blue Shield and they covered 100%. They should all be covering it. Try calling around to other places giving the vaccine. If you have prescription, it should be covered by your insurance plan

• Posted

Wow Valerie. Sorry to hear that. Can't say I blame you though. I was prepared to do the same if need be but my insurance did cover it though, thank goodness

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.