New Shingles Vaccine "Shingrix"

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've had my first round of "Shingrix", the new shingles 2-dose vaccine. This vaccine was just approved in January 2018 and has a 97% success rate, docs say.

Anyone else had the vaccine?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello:

I am new to this forum (and to any forum, actually). I had to check in with my own reaction to Shingrix. Normally I read very thoroughly on medical issues before having any procedure whatsoever. But I did not do so this time and was caught off guard by the harsh side effects since getting the vaccine yesterday.

I feel very similar to when I first came down with chickenpox (at age 24). It makes sense. I have muscle pain, malaise and fatigue, joint pain, and GI symptoms, and I just want to lie down. I don't have chills (yet), but I recall having those with chickenpox.

Since I read just a little before getting the shot, I was unaware that younger people are much more likely to have harsh side effects. Alas, I am on the low end of the target age range.

Still, as poor as I feel, I plan to still get the second dose when the time comes. I recall my grandpa crying from the pain of shingles around his eyes when I was a little girl. These side effects pale in comparison. I have known others who have had shingles, and it is awful. I will put up with these side effects. If you get the vaccine, just be sure not to plan anything for a few days afterward. Chances are you will fare better than I am doing.

But you might feel very "flu-like." It should abate in two to three days. That is what I am counting on.

Thank you.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you had such harsh side effects from Shingrex vaccine. I had my first shot in May, other than my arm at injection sight was tender for a few days I had no other side effects. 

After the horrible pain of shingles I refused to ever suffer like that again and would gladly go through a few days of discomfort from the vaccine if necessary! 

I will be going back for my booster shot in the next month and hoping it will be as good as the first...

• Posted

Thanks, Sheila. I hope your second shot goes well. I definitely will get the second one in a few months, being sure that I don't have any plans for the weekend. Tonight we were supposed to go out for a belated birthday dinner for my husband, and I really don't feel like doing anything at all--feeling vaguely nauseated now, too.But I know this is nothing compared to shingles pain.

• Posted

I feel markedly better today. My upper arm is still very sore, but I don't feel ill anymore. Thank heaven!

• Posted

I had my first dose of the Shingrix vaccine three days ago.  I am 57 years old with a great immune system.  Apparently, the younger you are and the better your immune system works, the worse the side effects tend to be.  At least in my case, this is true.  Starting a couple of hours after the shot until now, I have been feeling headachy, fatigued and feverish (with occasional nausea) and I have a very sore arm at the injection site.  The good news is that 400 mg of ibuprofen helps a good deal.

I had only a light case of chicken pox as a first grader fifty years ago.  But, my Dad developed shingles in his 70s and I knew I didn't want that to happen to me!  So, I received Shingrix along with a flu shot, not realizing the depth of the side effects.  Thank goodness I didn't have to travel this week for work.  I will grit my teeth and get the second dose in January, at a time when I have a lighter work schedule for the next five days afterwards.  The side effects are unpleasant but worth it to avoid shingles.

My advice would be to anyone who has gotten chicken pox and is over 50.  Get Shingrix but plan carefully your timing.

• Posted

Hi Lynn

I wonder if you are having the side effects because of having both flu and Shingrex at the same time. May be a mix of both together causing it. 

I had my first shot in May and only had tenderness around the injection site. I am going next week to get my booster shot and hoping to have the same results.. 

Nausea and feeling flu like are a common side effect but as you say it’s worth it rather than have to go through the pain of shingles.. Hope your feeling better soon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.