New Sufferer of Blepharitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi!

I've recently been told by my Doctor I have Blepharitis. It started with really itchy eyes around 5 months ago. The skin around my eyes just got worse and worse and now is really red and swollen on my right eye. I'll try and post a picture if I can. Anyway my Doctor advised to bathe my eyes morning and night and keep moisturising throughout the day.

The only problem I have is that I'm an Ambulance Technician (like a Paramedic but without the degree) so I'm out responding to 999 calls 12 hours a day 3 or 4 times a week meaning I really struggle to keep to a strict cleaning routine. My eyes look terrible and I've had patients comment on it before which isn't ideal!

I'm wondering if anyone has got any tips or tricks that will help with the redness so my eyes don't look as bad as they do? I'm using Aveeno moisturiser and I was using Vaseline on a night but I've stopped that as it was making my eyes even more itchy. I've tried cleaning my eyes with baby shampoo, simple soap, aqeuos (I think that's spelt wrong) and just warm water and nothing seems to help with the redness.

I'm struggling to get back into my doctor's to talk to them about it but she said the last attempt to help would be a mild steroid cream for my eyes.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jack Sorry to read this.  I suggest cleaning in betweeen your duties. I also would not apply any chemicals near your eyes as these as you have found out can cause itching etc.

There are some useful leaflets on the websites of famous eye hospitals.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I get very little time between shouts and what time I do have is normally spent doing paper work and cleaning the ambulance down.

I'll take on board not using any chemicals near my eyes though and see whether that helps.

Thanks again!

• Posted

What chemicals do you use to clean out the ambulance? Do you use antiseptic swabs on patients Some contain solvents and acetone which are detrimental.
    • Posted

It started around 5-6 months ago and has just got progressively worse. We use Klinnel wipes which are antibacterial and then we have hand sanitiser as well. The only other chemicals used are to mop the floor with.
  • Posted

Hi

i use the blephaclean wipes these are easy to carry with you and also a solution of cooled boiled wAter with blephasol lotion cotton buds to clean the rims of my lids.....I also got from the "Skin Shop" online Dry eye gel which has helped me a lot along the rims of my lids .....but I also now have eczema around my eyes where I need to use a hydrocortisone cream very lightly and once applied I wipe over with a dry cotton bud so it takes most back off but it works and I don't use it too often ...... I couldn't do without it though .....

good luck X 

• Posted

Hi!

Thanks very much for your reply. Where can I get the wipes from? They seem like I could carry them with me while on shift but the cooled boiled water would be a bit of a problem as I don't really have time to bathe my eyes whilst on shift.

Thank you again!

Jack

• Posted

Jack can you carry some previously boiled then cooled down water in a small vacuum flask with you?
    • Posted

Possibly! But the problem I have is that I don't have time to bathe my eyes really. Anything that will take longer than a quick wipe is a no go while I'm at work unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi

Your can buy the wipes in any Boots store or chemist ...there are other wipes to get that are cheaper "lumecare wipes" I use both can also but from amazon....

But sometimes still need doxycycline to get rid of it..

..each person react differently to different cleaning routines and you will find yourself.....I tried everything I was advised on these sites and did find the ones that works for me ...

I alternate....which works ....

• Posted

https://patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet

Hello Jack, read this leaflet, it has a lot of information.

Don't use any creams near your eyes, it will clog up the Meibomian glands.  Follow the instructions for cleaning your eyes & buy some lubricating eye drops because dry eyes don't help.

You need to spend time on reading about this.

Warm compresses twice a day & massaging your eyes will help.

Look at the Moorfields website, that also has a lot of information.

• Posted

Thank you very much I'll give that a read now!

Thanks again,

Jack Turner

• Posted

I use Wet Ones Be Gentle wipes and they really help as they are antibacterial. They come in a small packet which you should be able to carry with you and are available from Boots and are much cheaper than the Blephaclean wipes. My doctor prescribed steroid cream when I had a bad flare up, also available over the counter, and that really helped.
    • Posted

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your input I'll check out those wipes!

Was it hydrocortisone by any chance?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.