New Sufferer of Blepharitis

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi!

I've recently been told by my Doctor I have Blepharitis. It started with really itchy eyes around 5 months ago. The skin around my eyes just got worse and worse and now is really red and swollen on my right eye. I'll try and post a picture if I can. Anyway my Doctor advised to bathe my eyes morning and night and keep moisturising throughout the day.

The only problem I have is that I'm an Ambulance Technician (like a Paramedic but without the degree) so I'm out responding to 999 calls 12 hours a day 3 or 4 times a week meaning I really struggle to keep to a strict cleaning routine. My eyes look terrible and I've had patients comment on it before which isn't ideal!

I'm wondering if anyone has got any tips or tricks that will help with the redness so my eyes don't look as bad as they do? I'm using Aveeno moisturiser and I was using Vaseline on a night but I've stopped that as it was making my eyes even more itchy. I've tried cleaning my eyes with baby shampoo, simple soap, aqeuos (I think that's spelt wrong) and just warm water and nothing seems to help with the redness.

I'm struggling to get back into my doctor's to talk to them about it but she said the last attempt to help would be a mild steroid cream for my eyes.

Any information would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jack

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jack,

Sorry to hear you have this.  My eyes didn't respond to anything except cortizone/steroid drops and cream. My Opthalmologist put me on to Maxitrol. This is usually as far as I'm aware just to get it under control and then to manage it. It is the only thing that got mine under control.  They will be cautious  with this as it can affect the eye pressure, which they will need to check. 

For cleaning morning as soon as I;m up and night just before bed I wash my eyes with a solution 60ml warm water, a squirt of baby shampoo and 2 drops of Teatree oil. I use a facecloth (different one for each eye), dip it in and rub it along  the eye lids, and lower rim by pulling it down slightly. It takes a few seconds for each one.  I found previously that when I scrubbed and rubbed a lot it aggrevated it. So just a few strokes over each one.  Then I quickly splash with clear warm water. It really doesn't take long. It is worthwhile seeing an Opthalmologist. 

Computer screens, cellphone screens, wind and aircon aggrevate it so limit those where possible.

Blepharitis is somewhat of a journey and reading up on it and trying out things until you get what's right for you.  

I think it is important to keep a positive attitude.  Not always easy I know.

Wishing you well on your Blepharitis journey.

Ealine

• Posted

Im finding the same,q tips after months of use on rims are causing irritation. I mean lets face it,its not normally a thing you would do to such a sensitive part of the eye.
    • Posted

Lee I would not advise putting any chemicals near the eyes
    • Posted

Im useing the baby shampoo in water or plain water,im thinking all the rubbing to get off crusty material is causing dryness and irritation on rim. Probably scrubbing away most the oils from the glands..what to do. Thinking will just try a soft wash cloth instead of the q tips.
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll try your cleaning routine out as it seems quick and efficient! How long do you use the same cloth for?

Thanks again,

Jack

• Posted

Yah know what? Blepharitis is a pain in the neck...eyes.lol.Im still not used to it. Each day can be different. Keep us posted and good luck.
    • Posted

A week or so. It sets out during the day.
    • Posted

Hi Jack, The face cloths I use aren't the very thick ones, just enough rouchness on the cloth to do the job. It doesn't hurt, I don't rub very hard, just run it along the lids..  I run the cloth under the hot tap, ring out and then dip it into the solution and use on the eys. I then give the cloth a quick rinse out under the hot tap, ring it out and let dry. Everynow and then it would do well to soak in boiling water and give thorough cleaning. So to answer your question I use them for quite some time.

My Opthalmologist said to try not to rub or touch eyes during the day as much as possible. Difficult I know when they are itching or burning but this keeps them as clean as possible.  Our hands touching objects throughout the day pick up germs and bacteria.

I read a lot up on Blepharitis, read everyone's suggestions on this site and tried various methods. I started with a stronger solution of baby shampoo and tea tree oil but on the advice of someone on this site tried the present solution and found it was right for me.

I also rub some coconut oil on my face at night. It helps moisturise and has antibacterial properties.  Remember to clean eyebrows as well as dandruff etc collects and falls into the eyes.

Keep going! You will find the right method for you!

Elaine

• Posted

Hi,have u tryed ice for the swelling?
    • Posted

You could put some (ice) in a small cooler and use for a few minutes throughout the day. Make sure to wrap it in a cloth though. It takes swelling down and your eyes should become white.
    • Posted

If you decide to use warm compresses it is important to use disposable tissues to avoid contamination and cross infection and re infecting your eyes.
  • Posted

First thing every morning run how water on a wash cloth as hot as your hands can take it. Then put this compress on you eyes for 1 minute. Then use the cloth to give you eyelids an agressive massage cleaning away the "sleep" and forcing the oils from you lids. If on occasion you begin to get styes take minocycline to knock down the infection, usually 3 to 5 days for me. Works for me. Good luck.

• Posted

I find that when my eyes start to get a bit "scratchy" gently rubbing the closed lids with the knuckle of my index finger from the nose outwards five times for each lid lubricates them.

Hope this helps/

• Posted

How long have you been an ambulance Technician Jack?  I have just been looking at the Clinell website.  Thier products appear to contain a lot of alcohol, which is very drying & it could be that you are allergic to something in their products which is exacerbating your blepharitis.

Try to be ultra careful not to touch your eyes after you have used any of these clinical wipes etc..

Someone mentioned using a hot flannel,on your eyes.   Do this a couple of times twice a day, then gently [not aggressive!] massage your eyes & the plugs will come out of your Meibomian glands & your eyes will become lubricated again.  Use the artificial tears frequently.  Use preservative free drops.  Preservatives cause more problems than they solve, in this instance.

Talk to your supervisor & ask if you can see an Ophthalmologist.

If you don't have time to care for your eyes, then you are in the wrong job.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.