new tablets for mucus

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello everybody, doctors again today as I had almost run out of the Amoxicillin prescribed by the hospital, the 7 day course had not shifted the infection entirely, so got an additional 7 days, mentioned that my sputum was hard to get up and appeared very thick, so have been prescribed Carbocisteine 375mgs, 1 capsule four times per day, never heard of it and can't say as I've noticed anybody mention it on here, any advice please or verdict on it's efficiency, thanq cheesygrin

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi David, my husband uses Carbosisteine  (Mucadyne) he has 2x375 capsules 3 times a day. He started on a much lower dose when he was hospitalised with pneumonia some 4 yrs ago. He has had to steadily increase the intake but he has found it very beneficial. Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thankyou Sonsy, I'm delighted to hear that they are so beneficial for your hubby, guess it will be a day or two before they work for me, sounds bizzare but I can't wait! 
  • Posted

Hi david. I take them 2 3 times a day been on them since november i'm newly diagnosed and like you find it hard to bring up sputum but without them i think it would be worse. Iv been on all the antibiotics going since then w only last time the gp told me i need to take for 14 days and not 7 like they been gaveing me so now iv been off them for 4 weeks so hopefully this time i can go a while without any .so i hope 2 weeks helps you to. And keep takeing the carbocisteine i'm on them the rest of my life my physio told me so good luck hope you feel much better soon joy x
    • Posted

Hiya Joy, aww bless thankyou for your advice, yeah I'm newly diagnosed as in maybe a month so I'm still trying to get my head round the ins and outs of what's happening to my lovely perfect body! My "sense of humour" keeps me from going totally mad cheesygrin yes it will be great to get rid of this damn infection, I really do'nt like the pains that occasionally stab me in the back, it seems that a 14 day course is the way to go. Hope you continue to have looooong spells in between any infections Joy, and remember, smile. x
  • Posted

Yes, I have had that, but I stopped taking it as I didn't have much trouble getting stuff up anyway. I am sure it will help.

Kind regards,

Lesley

• Posted

thankyou Lesley, I will give it a try and see what happens, hopefully when I get rid of this current infection I may be able to stay on top of things and be more prepared next time now that my problem has finally got a medical name! bless, caio for now David biggrin
    • Posted

yes, I find that I am still 'fine tuning' how I cope with it; it has been a hard winter, but everything feels better now the sun is shining. Happy Easter!

Lesley

• Posted

I was prescribed it once by GP before we found out that I had Bronchiectasis. The best ring for thick mucous is to drink Lots of water and avoid dairy.
    • Posted

I do try to drink lots of water, perhaps not enough though, do'nt have much dairy, will have to concentrate and try eliminate, at least for a while, and see how it goes, thankyou for your reply, love the name btw!! biggrin
  • Posted

Also I have just been prescribed an Acapello (Waiting to collect from chemist).... Physio said it is good for loosening the mucous. I also use a salt inhaler as salt inhaler but I find it very dry on my throat so I'm going to ask if there is any way I can get a nebuliser so I can use salt therapy through that as it will be moist. Lots of luck to you David. Ps I am newly diagnosed also.
  • Posted

Hi been on that for years i take mine for years pretty good but you have to take it all the time works with all other meds and breathing exercises part of my daily routine now which is what you have to get usef to to manage this conditon
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I am off to hospital for Physiotherapy tomorrow need extra help to get rid of the gunk. Got breathing exercises last month from physio but not having any success. Also started taking the Carbosisteine and agan not much success. See what tomorrow brings.
    • Posted

good luck with the fizzy o tomorrow mo, hope it brings some relief, still awaiting my 1st fizzy app here so getting depressed with the lack of help so far, best wishes
    • Posted

Where on earth do you live David the response you are getting is disgusting.
    • Posted

I'm up in the far north Scotland Mo, and yes the waiting times up here are bloody outrageous, was referred by my gp for a liver ultrasound 5 to 6 weeks ago, finally got a date on the 17th, pathetic
    • Posted

Ask your Doctor for a prescription for an Acapella. I've just picked mine up fr the chemist today. My Physio told me about it.
    • Posted

David I have found that I need to be proactive or I don't get help or advice with any of the health problems I have. I've found the Internet to be very informative. In my opinion GPs are limited in what they know.
    • Posted

Limited is in my opinion a very polite way of putting it. If I hadn't asked to be referred all those years ago I would still be getting 7 days supply of amoxycillin. Every few weeks for a "chest infection" Never heard of a sputum sample or anything else till I got into the chest clinic at hospital., Still fighting today to be understood. My problem My body but hey what do I know. That is the feeling I get constantly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.