new tablets for mucus

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello everybody, doctors again today as I had almost run out of the Amoxicillin prescribed by the hospital, the 7 day course had not shifted the infection entirely, so got an additional 7 days, mentioned that my sputum was hard to get up and appeared very thick, so have been prescribed Carbocisteine 375mgs, 1 capsule four times per day, never heard of it and can't say as I've noticed anybody mention it on here, any advice please or verdict on it's efficiency, thanq cheesygrin

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello David my husband has Bronchectisis and is on carbocisteine tablets they are ment to help move the mucus. This illness is a compleate nightmare and it is difficult to manage your life and live how do you cope.  I was wondering are people able to still go on holiday or are you all like us and scared to go any where as you do not know when the next infection is due  Jeannie 4243
    • Posted

Hi Jeannie, you really need some antibiotics spare to take with you on holiday, ask the doctor for some to keep in reserve to cover your holiday. I take azithromysin on holiday, just in case...but there are other tablets which may be better for your husband, everyone is different.

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

hi Jeannie, yeah I have the same tablets past few weeks, not convinced they help me much, I'm finding it hard with the asthma as well confusing everything! I'm producing phlegm and wheezing at the same time which is really disconcerting believe me, I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow to see what can be done for me. but one of the doctors at my practice never seems to have any answers for me and I leave exactly as I went in, no medication, nothing. I despair,
    • Posted

Hi David you do seem to be having problems, poor you.  Now when i go to the doctors i tell them what i want for my husband.  Joe is 76 now but a lovely guy and he has been ill since 60 polymyalga rhumitoid  (can not spell all of these) always had asthma, then lasy year they said bronchiectisis.In and out of hospital and we go over the same things so last year when he went in i had checked up on every thing and when they said this is what we will do i sais NO this is what i want to happen.  Other wise you just cover the same old ground and get no where. It does not stop the illness but i think it has helped Joe get better treatment so good luck David
    • Posted

Hi Lesley thanks for that information i will look into Azithromyzin. I dont think we will get on holiday, as Joe always ill but he trys to talk about positive stuff to keep him going. But it is great talking to people with this illness as some times you can feel isolated thank you
  • Posted

Hi David,

Sounds as if you need to go to the doctor who has some answers, the one who is no help probably doesn't know your complaint well enough. Doctors have their own speciality, so he may be good at other things; bronchiectasis is a hard one and you need to study it and what works for you. There is a good site that has helped me a lot called bronchiectasis r us and it has all the medications, exercises, advice and lots of different threads to read and places to ask questions. I use both sites, and you tube which gives demonstrations. You will get it licked...it is a long steady learning pathway

Blessings and prayers,

Lesley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.