New TKR

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone. 

Im after some advice (and possibly reassurance from others). I had a TKR on Wednesday and came home the day after. I've been given the usual pain meds, physio and bits but I'm struggling with the physio. I've sods of bruising - as expected- and wondered when I might start to be able to manage these physio exercises and get some movement back. I can straighten without to many problems but bending is a real issue. Any hints or tips please?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Wow thank you all for some amazing support. I will spend the day looking at the other posts suggested and getting some of that cream. I've been trying to push through the pain as I was told to do so but end up in tears. 

Thank you all again. 

• Posted

Martin, don't push yourself too hard.  You're so early in this recovery.  Don't push through the pain, just do what you can up to that point and it will come.  It would really help if you can see a physiotherapist, they're brilliant after a TKR.  Take care of yourself.

• Posted

"Don't push through the pain..."  EXACTLY!!!

The old gym phrase "no pain, no gain" does NOT apply to a TKR.  Push too much and the knee swells setting you back.

"Don't do dat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

• Posted

The laugh is it was the physio that told me to push through sad 
    • Posted

Easy for them to say.  I've got a list of medicos I'd like to see have to have a TKR, not to be nasty, but just for their education.  wink

• Posted

I know that feeling. I left off the physio yesterday but did a few more stairs and today the knew knee feels happier smile btw happy weekaversary new knee smile
    • Posted

You do realize that when these PTs graduated from college, all their classmates got regular academic hoods on their robes...this group got dungeon master cowls...
    • Posted

That explains the black and red uniforms and chanting then lol
    • Posted

Completely true and very important! Accepting limitations is hard.., but listening to the body is very important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.