New to Amptriptiline

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am new to the forum.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday, awaiting letters to be written to GP

Recommended I take amptriptiline for pain. Bit anxious about taking anything long term and worried about side effects like weight gain, stomach problems etc.

Could anyone share their experiences with me please? & how they resolved them.

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I also take this at 10mg at night which I find is defiantly the best time to take it as it makes u drozy . I take it for insomnia and also migraines. Only side effects I've experienced is being tired but that's it tbh

• Posted

Thank you very much

Just very nervous about weight gain as I am struggling already

I have not been able to exercise for a year due to foot and knee problems resulting in surgery.

• Posted

Ok well I've been on these for about 9 months now every night and they didn't and haven't caused me to put weight on. How much are you taking? Coz 10mg isn't a anti depressant x

• Posted

Hi Rosalie.

They do cause weight gain. Most anti-depressants do.

Lyrica or pregabalin is another med they use for fibromyalgia. If they offer you this, please research it before deciding to take it. The damage this pill does is irreversible, and it causes a LOT of problems.

Good luck

• Posted

I'd be worried about the long term and even short term effects of this drug(all other drugs included also ). Weight gain and stomach problems would be among the least to worry about. Look up in a google search on side effects and you will see with some research that there can be perhaps a 100 different side effects !  Each person may have many many and some people will not.....you won't know until you start......but being informed is good to know this. Good Luck.

• Posted

It's also good NOT to google things....

• Posted

This is true, but i agree with Jimbourg.

I google any and all meds prescribed to me because of the many issues i have faced due to being prescribed pills that the doctors either don't know, don't tell or don't care about the side effects of so long as they're being paid to prescribe them.

I have found that a good imformative site to find out anything to do with uses or treatments for, side effects etc of meds is webmd.

People should be aware of what they are being given, and know what to look out for incase of reactions or side effects.

• Posted

Hello rosalie and welcome to our little family here. I have been taking Amitriptyline for nearly three years for AS. I was diagnosed as having fibromyalgia and arthritis amongst other things over the years but now after an MRI and other X Rays they have confirmed AS. Amitriptyline has been good for me on a low dose at night...half a 25 mg tablet. I did gain weight but have had no other problems with it. I know that many people report having problems with this drug but for me it was fine...Just give it a try and see if it helps you too.
    • Posted

Hi Gloria

Thanks for your response.

I always Google any meds I am given

I know several people on different drugs for FM and they all seem to have side effects!

Just waiting to see GP now and discuss options.

• Posted

Interesting reading all the responses.  I have been on it for so many years I wouldn't know what it does or doesn't do.  I know I take it for sleep and pain (which it doesn't really help with the pain/stiffness).... but as far as weight gain goes, I have no idea.  I struggle with my weight.  And have for a long time, but I think that started before I started take amitrip.  Who the heck knows.  All these meds seem to help one thing, but cause some other things.  I take quite a few meds, so it's hard to say what is causing what.  It's very frustrating to say the least.

• Posted

All medication has side effects paracetamol has side effects everything does that's why they have to put side effects out there. Google is the worst to look up side effects!! Read the leaflet u got with them. But all medication has side effects. It's just the way it is x

• Posted

Yes I agree, every med has side effects .

I just think Dr's do not give enough information out when prescribing .

Have you looked up the New Guide to medicine& drug book?

I have had a copy for years, very informative .

• Posted

No I haven't. My doctor is absolutely amazing and she explains everything to me. What's the point in looking for side effects? Where's it going to get anyone really? U take the medication coz the doctor obviously knows u need it n will make u better . They no what there talking about. Like if u had a child who was poorly and needed antibiotics or steroids of some sort would u google it first before giving it to your young child? No you would take the advice of your doctor who is trained and make your child better? Wouldn't u. Just my opinion x

• Posted

Hi rosalie.

Everyone is different I suppose. I have been on 20mg amitriptyline for 2 years now & have always maintained my same weight. I guess it will affect some, others it wont. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Stephen

Many thanks for your reply.

May I ask have you experienced any other side effects such a feeling dizzy or cannot wake up in the mornings please?

Regards

Rosalie

• Posted

Well, i was taking my dosage for migraines, fatigue & IBS. They have helped with all 3.

When i first started taking amitriptyline for the first 3 months, i was still tired & would feel dizzy. The effects wore off after 3 months.

After the advice from 1 or 2 lovely people on here, i find it helps if i take my tablets at 7pm. Goto bed around 10 - 10.30 & i feel refreshed in the morning. (Well after a coffee anyway).

But, TBH, the side affects will vary & differ in different people. My side affects wore off after 3 months. For some it may be before or some slightly after.

• Posted

Hi I always thought the dizzy part was due to the migraines I had and not the tablets? As my dizziness is a lot less since being on them. They take a little while for them to properly kick in to your system I think but they do work the only thing I'm afraid of is the coming off them rolleyes but that's whole other story lol x

• Posted

So long as u take them early enough like Stephen says then your fine in the mornings. I take mine at between 8 and 9 and I go to bed at 9 and I'm up about half 6 and that's fine for me. When I first started taking them the first couple of weeks I was quite tired and drowsy but that's just your body getting use to them. Good luck x

• Posted

Hi Numb

Thank you for all your help and support.

Just waitimg noe for Drs letters to be written etc and see GP!

Rosalie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.