New to Amptriptiline

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am new to the forum.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday, awaiting letters to be written to GP

Recommended I take amptriptiline for pain. Bit anxious about taking anything long term and worried about side effects like weight gain, stomach problems etc.

Could anyone share their experiences with me please? & how they resolved them.

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello I am so glad that you have written on this forum.

AMITRYPTALINE DO A GOOD JOB IF YOU ARE DESPERATE.

If not try something else as AMITRYPTALINE pills are very strong & highly addictive.

I was taking them for 38yrs + but, I was desperate.

Terrible side effects staying on them & terrible side effects coming off them.

NASTY DRUG unless you really need them & are desperate like I was.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello Rosalie.

I am now taking FLUOROXETINE ie PROZAC 20mg twice daily , known as the happy pill because Princess Diana & Fergie both took it & I find it really good for pain control, plus ANXIETY & it is not a dangerous pill unlike AMITRYPTALINE which was too dangerous for me as I am getting older. Not reccommened for older people , plus they gave me KIDNEY DISEASE.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie

Thanks for sharing this information.

Not sue I want to take anything as I am over 60 already!

Just want my life back really, and be able to walk with my hubby again.

Rosalie

• Posted

hI rosalie, my GP informed me that AMITRYPTALINE ARE NOT GOOD FOR US OLDER ladies , so please take care. they cause to many problems as youget older , they mess up our brains causing ALZIHMERS DISEASE & SENILE DIMENSIA.

So they have bad physcological problems as we age.

Jackie

• Posted

May I ask how long have you been taking the prozac at 40 mg / day ?  Have you taken it before ?  Notice any adverse effects on it ?
    • Posted

Hi I was previously on 20mg prozac per day, just for about a year, now I am on 20mg twice a day & I am a very content & a happy bunny.

Plus I should just mention to other people out there after having THREE STROKES ,my GP & CONSULTANTS got extremally scared, so , it was full stop on other pills as well.

It was not just a case of AMITRYPTALINE being very dangerous as we age , it was the BLOOD TEST as well that was the detrmining factor, plus my CONSULTANTS put me on ZOMORPH for pain which is MORPHINE BASED. The Consultants thought it much safer.

Jackie

Ps we are all different, this is my life on AMITRPTALINE.some persons respond well , some like me do not. plus I put on 5 stone in weight whilst on them , but, now I have lost the weight again so, I am back to normal.

• Posted

Hi

My doctor prescribed them to me three months ago for pain and because I have trouble sleeping.I am on 25 mg which I take at night.He will only give me 28 at a time and then I have to go back and see him.I do not take them ever night and have no problem with them.I guess its different for everyone.

• Posted

Hi MILLIE, DOCTORS prescribe these tablets far too easily without really knowing about how ADDICTIVE they are, they are good tablets to assist with pain but, a nasty little pill to stay on & come off as well.

Rather speak toyour DOCTOR about these tablets & ask for something safer, the side effects are horrific & the withdrawal symtoms are also horrific, a very dangerous pill.

Jackie

• Posted

And also the horrific side effects?  Why do you call it dangerous?

• Posted

Hi The terrible side effects are, sleeplessness, waking up in the middle of the night, waking too early, trying to get to sleep.sweating profusely even though I have just had a shower, smell of sweat all the time, ringing ears, muscle pain, tremors, anxiety, because you cannot sleep, not passing enough urine, causing KIDNEY DAMAGE
    • Posted

sorry something happened to me, YES the causes are to numerous to mention , dry mouth, forever thirsty, but as you age the AMITRYPTALINE are known to cause irreversal damage, that is why my
    • Posted

reccommended I come off these pills.

Jackie

Please take Care.

• Posted

I now have permanent KIDNEY DAMAGE although since I have come off the AMITRYPTALINE my outgoing of urine has improved

Jackie

• Posted

And what did your doctor reccomment you take instead?  I have been taking these because I had such trouble sleeping... and these have helped with that.  I do have the sweating issue, but I thought that was due to hormones.  My heads sweats profusely with little exertion.  But, I have to say, my sister has the same issue, and she does not take this medication.  It is very confusing to figure out what is from medications (especially if you take a few different ones) or just from hormones,  heredity, aging, etc. etc.  I take quite a few different medications.  
    • Posted

I think what happened to u was awful but it doesn't happen to everyone and I think you getting all of this is quite rare from taking this drug.

• Posted

yes Num,b I was kind of thinking the same thing.  And that some people have very bad reactions to some drugs, while others don't.  I know people who take lisniopril and they are fine with it.  I took it and my eyes got all swollen, so I had a bad allergic reaction.  Same with a sulfa drug I took years ago.  I had a very serious reaction to it, while others do not.  Also Ambien and Prozac I have had reactions too, while others do not.   And I cannot take statin drugs due to how it affects my liver.  So, I gues the best thing is to go by how the drug works on you personally.

• Posted

I agree, my hubby has taken Amlodipine for years without any issues, I was given half the amount he takes and I was asleep all the time, my sister had same mgs as me and she was awake all the time!

I can't take Trimethoprim either as it makes me really physically sick!

• Posted

Hi

Sorry I disagree with you,my doctor only gave me 28 at a time and then I would have to go back and have another chat with him before he gave me any more. I can go for days without having them and have no withdrawal symptoms.

I am surprised your doctor kept you on it for so long.Good luck with your new medication.

• Posted

Hi Millie how long were u on them before coming of? I've been on 9 months and want to come off them I only take 10mg a night . I heard I'll have no side effects from ppl coz of such a low dosage and then other ppl saying there will be bad side effects? Xx

• Posted

I have taken them on and off for three months.I am  on 25mg which I guess is quite high.I have been on over 20 different pain killers including pain patches this was over a four year period none of them really helped.I only take it when the pain is really bad.Each person is different I guess.
    • Posted

I don't get the concept of taking them sporadically.  I thought they were something that you had to take on a regular basis in order to get any effect from them.  I have been on them a long, long time.

• Posted

I believe some doctors say for insomnia u can take them when needed. But for anything else yes I agree u need to be on them every day for while for the benefits X
    • Posted

Hello I was on AMITRYPTALINE for 38yrs because I was informed to take them. I lived in AFRICA for 24yrs & it was very traumatic & scary, hence the reason I was prescribed AMITRYP.. I have asked the CONSULTANTS numerous times over the years to come off them & found out when I tried I could not do it as the AMITRYP were so addictive.

I needed to take these tablets for P.T.S.S & ANXIETY, through my experiences in a basic horror situation  MURDERS EVERYDAY, CARJACKING etc.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello Michelle MY GP / CONSULTANT recommended I take PROZAC insteadof amitryptaline BECAUSE OF MY AGE ( NEARLY 70) plus I have KIDNEY DISEASE from being on AMITRYP for so many years, prooved by BLOOD TEST, Plus I have had several STROKES so my CONSULTANTS did not wish for me to risk anymore by taking AMITRPTALINE as they do work on the brain aftet all, plus they do not flush out our KIDNEYS as they should.

I can only speak through experience myself & other friends who have taken the same pills who have also had the same symtoms  through these tablets.

AGREE OR DISAGREE, this is a forum.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello No perhaps it does not happen to everyone, but, it happened to me, proven through BLOOD TEST.

Plus all of the years I was on these tablets 38yrs in all. plus my many friends were administered them at the same time as we all lived in AFRICA & it was a very traumatic experience.

We were all nervous wrecks living in AFRICA togetherhence the POST TRAUMATIC STRESS SYNDOME & ANXIETY.

Jackie

• Posted

Hello Rosalie, yes we are all different , we would not be human otherwise,

I do not wish to frighten people on this forum but, I thought it would be advisble for many to mention my experiences  as I would not wish others to experience my life on AMITRYPTALINE, IT WAS PROVEN WITH ME THE SIDE EFFECTS THROUGH blood test.

So this is a forum , I thought I would like to write my horror stories of being on AMITRPTALINE, the good & bad.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi , Please do not worry anbout disagreeing with me, My GP /CONSULTANT insisted I come off them due to KIDNEY DAMAGE through long time use plus, I have had several STROKES which affect my brain the same as the AMITRYPTALINE AFFECTS THE BRAIN.

I listened to my CONSULTANTS , what else could I do.

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Millie, I am now taking ZOMORPH which is Morphine based, my CONSULTANT also made me stop taking IBURUFEN & DICLOFENIC as well due to the fact they case STROKE of which I have now had several.

38YRS AGO THE medical proffesion did not know what time would do to a body after being on medication for so many years.

We now know more |& there are bound to be side effects after years of medication affecting the brain & kidneys, it is a price we have to pay to be well.

Jackie

• Posted

And guess what ?  The medical profession still does not know what the long term effects are on any given drug.  Doing long term studies is so expensive that no one is willing to fund them.  So we have to be the guinea pigs and relate the horror stories to ourselves.  Yes, side effects are many as you say.  It is a price  we have to pay to "be well" ?  But really they don't make us well.  They do help mask somewhat pain and other things. In many ways they make us worse.  Something to think about.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.