New to Amptriptiline

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am new to the forum.

I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia yesterday, awaiting letters to be written to GP

Recommended I take amptriptiline for pain. Bit anxious about taking anything long term and worried about side effects like weight gain, stomach problems etc.

Could anyone share their experiences with me please? & how they resolved them.

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I have been suffering from daily headaches, dizziness and basically just feeling like utter crap everyday for nearly 2 years now and paracetamol and ibuprofen do noting for me. I've lost count of how many times I've been to the Dr and not really got very far. I was prescribed Pizotifen about 6 weeks ago for my headaches and upon reading on the internet about them and the horror weight gain stories I refused to take them. I have worked hard over the last 4 years to lose over 4 stone that I am scared to put it all back on especially if it's caused by taking a pill!

I went back to the surgery on Wednesday and seen a different Dr who has prescribed me Amitriptyline 10mg and he assured me they don't cause weight gain. Again I come home and google Amitriptyline and what do I read? Yes a mountain of horror stories about weight gain! A lot f people said it caused them to feel more hungry and crave sweet carbs. I have been following a low carb diet for a couple of years now and know how strict I have to be and not give in. I started taking Amitriptyline on Wednesday night 2 hours before bedtime and again last night. I can't go on living this life with these damn headaches it's driving me insane. If they do cause me to crave high carb rubbish then I'm just going to have to be strong and not give in because I really need to take this medication. They make you have an excellent sleep and so far I have been doing great with my diet I was even under my calorie goal yesterday and never touched anything bad! Even after taking 2 I feel a big difference in my headaches. You can only give them a try and see how you get on but for me I was being really stupid refusing to take medication that had a weight gain side effect and putting up with the headaches for so long when perhaps the side effects might not bother me.

• Posted

Hi claire. Im taking amitriptyline 20mg (2 years now) for basically the same symptoms as well as IBS. I too worried about weight gain at first. But to be fair they have never caused weight gain in me. But everyone is different i suppose.
    • Posted

Never caused me weight gain....everyone's different I suppose X

• Posted

Yes I believe we all have to try what works best for us personally.  As I have said in a previous post, what happens to one person on a certain medication, does not always happen to another.  I have had bad results on some medications, but yet I know other people who have taken the same thing and they are fine.  Like anything in life, sometimes our systems are more sensitive to something, than they are to another person.  For instance, I have a bad allergic reaction to a lot of metals.  Whereas, most people do not.  Or, say, some people have a bad reaction to shellfish.  So it just depends on our own "make-up."  

And yes Jaqueline54301... you had all those bad reactions.  I believe you.  But that doesn't mean someone else will.  Like for instance, my doctor didn't like the blood work levels on my liver while taking a statin drug.  So he stopped me from taking them.  But yet, many other people take them and their body can handle it.  

I'm just saying.... we can't all listen to all the different people's experiences, or we will drive ourselves crazy.biggrin  rolleyes

• Posted

And Claire..... I struggle with my weight as well.  But It IS possible to control your weight (and lose weight) while on this medication.  I think if you just stay on your "program" you will be fine.  I have to eat very low carb myself, in order to lose weight and not gain. lol

• Posted

I have gained a few pounds since these headaches started as they made me feel like I was needing a sugar intake but even eating a biscuit or something sweet would make me feel worse! I've been better eating low carb these last couple of days as I know I need to stick to it in order not to gain and get myself back into it. Once the headaches disappear I'll be fine x

• Posted

Hi Michelle , unfortunately for me I have to take STATINS as well, I have no choice.

Live & let live, we depend on our DOCTORS Thank goodness

Jackie

• Posted

Well I can't take them. He has me taking a couple other ones. Fenofibrite and zetia. They don't work as well but he doesn't want to kill my liver. 😕

• Posted

Hi Michelle, well it is a good idea for us all to have our moans & grumbles on here. Poor soul , I feel for you & your health.At least we do have this forum to get all of our problems off our chest.

At least you sound a very positive person &  try to get on with your life even though at times it is difficult.

Jackie.

It is strange really that we get to know one another on here & express our personel feelings & yet at the same time we have never met.

Kindest Regards

Ps are you an ENGLISH WOMAN.

• Posted

I have been on this med for about 3 weeks to aide with my sleeping and I have noticed an increase in appitite and my sleep is not really improving.
    • Posted

Hello Silvia once again.

I put on over 5 stone whist on AMITRYPTALINE, YES my appetite increased & I ate & ate until I became FAT, 18 STONE.

Once you put it on it is hard to get it off, I lost 4 stone four years ago but, I have slowly put back on 1 1/2 stone again.

Now that I am off them & add CHIA seeds TO MY CEREAL every morning my appetite is now decreasing naturally & I am losing weight quite fast now without even dieting.

Your sleeplessness will improve on AMITRYPTALINE however you may be tired all the time or weary.

It is a very good but ADDICTIVE & POWERFUL DRUG , I would advise you to speak to your GP about this DRUG & perhaps think about something else in its place. Jackie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.