new to Citalopram

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been perscribed 10mg of Citalopram for A+D, But the trouble is I'm unsure if I want to take them because of the bad side effects that I've read about on here.

I've got to take 10mg for a week then up it to 20mg. Are the side effects as bad as everyone is saying?

I've recently stopped taking Paroxetine which I was on for 15 years, it just stopped working for me. I had about a 8/9 week gap were I wasn't taking any A/D, but things didn't work out and I slowly started to get the anxiety attacks back followed by a mild depression. I could just about control the anxiety but the depression got the better of me.

I feel like sh*t already without adding something that will make things worse. I don't want to feel spaced out pulling weird face's all over christmas. I guess the bottom line is that I'm scared to take them because of what I've read.

Any feedback would be am great help.

Thanks

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

yey !!!! today I woke up feeling great !! no nausea ! no clutching the pillow in panic,wanting to crawl into a ball : )) plus I had a drama today ,and no anxiety attack !! my son returned from holiday ,I had no call to meet him a t station ,plane had arrived ...6 hrs later ,his phone is still off , I was rational ,( he is 23 ,) didnt panic . of course he was ok , he got the coach back ,phone rang out of charge ,he had run out of money . I even ate a proper meal today !! and learning to say no as well to people ... wow just yesterday I was so bad ....hope it stays ,im singing as well biggrin) will update in a week
  • Posted

Get into a good routine but I found on 20mg I still could crash under stress. However if this happens to you you may need to up it.
  • Posted

yes did crash under stress !! felt so horrible the anxiety returned have upped it to 30 mg still have the churning and dread , its wee 4 now so maybe a bit longer is needed
  • Posted

My mum caused me to crash on holiday. She was being obstinate and I was thinking of blowing my brains out. However since being on 40mg for 2 weeks I feel fine, went back to work and failed an audit and able to take it rather than feeling pissed off. Luckily I will get off this process next week which is part of the problem.
  • Posted

Hi, I suffer from depression and anxiety and I have been on Citalopram 20mg for 3 days. I have never been on anything like that before and I feel totaly spaced out and nauseus all the time. The worst feeling are in the morning and I really do think there is no other way to sort my life out so having a suicidal thoughts(it calms down in the evening though and I feel much better), I know that doctor said it will get worse before better but I just find it scary, as I had a suicidal thoughts 4-5 years ago where I actually started a self help, which got me nowhere and made me feel even worse. It took me 5 years to go to see my GP but cost me a great boyfriend.

We had a massive fight with my boyfriend which I have been for 2,5 years and this is not helping, he said he can't be in this relationship anymore as I am too complicated, but till now I did not know I am having a problem that needs a doctor. That is what kicked me to go and see my GP. He doesn't talk to me now and we never had such a big fight (even if we had plenty of fights) I feel so down and there is nobody to talk to I found it really hard and the tablet makes me feel worse at the moment. Our relationship was very intense so being separated feels like I'm missing part of me and I have no family around.

Will it really work, I just want to feel like everybody else for a first time and stop worrying all the time. I am so tearful today, that I pushed such a great man so far away. I truly don't want to be here anymore not just because of that. My life is constant worry and I need to control every movement. I can't do this anymore. He actually just texted me that he want to be left alone. My mind is black now, I can't see anything in the future.

• Posted

@ black sheep ... Try sticking with the citrapram .. I'm finding it must be helping after stressful meeting and no real bad anxiety attacks , I was panicked but not in a nauseous way ... The best thing I think is to give your self some time alone, till you feel calmer , don't rely on your boyfriend , and give him space , you will return more assured and someone he wants to be with a fun you , talk to the samaritans , and you are loved !! just try to go for walks , a few minutes a day .. Xx
  • Posted

yeah seems to be working now !! had loads of stress thrown my way !! and just slight anxiety , managed to go out , enjoy the sun ,and it has helped me put things into perspective with wrong people in my life , I do find drinking diminshes its effect somewhat thou (bummer !)
  • Posted

@dendo... Thank you for your reply. It is my 9th day on Citalopram and I feel everyday better and better also can control my emotions and thoughts much more (my first 3 days had been horrid experience and I hit the bottom). I went to see my friend on Saturday and totally open to him about everything as I always tried to hide things from other people.. he is such a good person to talk to. I wrote an email to my boyfriend, about how I felt and how I feel, just from proper inside, probaly for the first time have not tried to control the situation. Everything starting to be brighter now, I had a feeling like a part of me is missing for a very long time but it has begun filling up. I know it is early days but I feel much better and soon will be attending a couselling sessions to sort my head out. Even if I can control my thoughts better they are still there and I do not want them there. The big difference now is I believe in me, I believe I can do it. So yes, I would recommend the citalopram to everybody and don't give up if few days at the beginning might feel worse...xx
  • Posted

ask me how I am ???? GREAT !! IM BACK !! happy level headed sorted out problems , stick with the first few weeks ..THIS WORKS !! :
  • Posted

I'm new to this site and also to taking citalopram. I'm a 20 year old male and was recently recommended by my gp to start a 28 day course of CITALOPRAM 20mg..

Even thou im still quite young I've had a REALLY REALLY bad problem with my temper since as far back as i can remember due to a bit of a bad up bringing also problems with paranoia and anxiety and also recently feeling worthless and down. Up until now I just tried to shrug it off an just accepted that I'm just someone with a short fuse.. It has taken a recent incident which involved me snapping and hurting my girlfriend who I love to bits . But to get to the point... Citalopram leaflets say they target anxiety an depression, nothing about anger! So.. Will citalopram aid me in controlling my temper ? An I've only been taking it for 5 days an aim already feeling the symptoms of feeling really tired but not being able to sleep a wink, heart pulputations, dry mouth , head aches and also problems in the bedroom.. Is there any way around any of these symptoms ?. If you could help I'd be really great full, my problems have started to spiral out of control and starting to ruin my life basically and I need to know I aim taking a medication that's just not gonna help , as I can't waste time because the situations that severe that I could loose everything I have in life which will obviously make matters worse. Thanks all

DanielAnger

• Posted

Is citalopram any use for issues such as temper, anxiety paranoia an lack of self worth, but mainly anger an temper?
  • Posted

Daniel ,have you told your Dr the whole story about your anger problems? I think you must confide in him/her that you could be in danger of this escalating to physical violence. I personally think you are in need of urgent therapy,counselling etc to address this problem.Cit may help but I very much doubt it will be a cure for what you are describing.
  • Posted

My experience taking citalopram has been fine, allbeit a bit of a bumpy journey of side effects to start with. I took 10 mg for 18 days, upping the dosage to 20 mgs the last 14 days. Only yesterday I was starting to wonder if I would ever feel the benefits, then suddenly today I woke up, I felt great. My energies and mood have lifted, and for the first time in a long time. I'm starting to feel happier and positive. I would advise anyone who is worried about the side effects, or even starting a course, to bite the bullet and just take them. You'lle have a bit of a rocky couple of weeks but once they kick in you will feel a lot happier. Good Luck!
  • Posted

Hi I've been on Citalopram for 6 years now 40mg dose each day I went through all the stages that I've read on this Forum, Because I wasn't gettin better straight away I thought they were not working.Please give them at least a month. Problems I have is sleeping at night or winding down, Oh and try to steer away from alcohol as both fight against each other to simulate your brain Hope u all well
  • Posted

Hi my name is jill 1 l took citalopram for 6 years and because l was so happy decided to come of it over 2 weeks. Things were fine for a bit then l decided tochange jobs not a good idea as my anxiety came back with a vengance, so for the 1st time in my life l quit and went back to my old job. I went back to the doctors in october was givern citalopram but only took 1 tablet and felt a lot worse and was beside myself. I feel very alone as l strugle to make friends. I go for private counciling too. Went back to the doctor and he gave me duloxetine which l do not feel is working for.

I have just started a new job went for a training session and my anxiety has kicked in again feel like crap.

Has anyone else had this experince.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.