new to Citalopram

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi all,

I have been perscribed 10mg of Citalopram for A+D, But the trouble is I'm unsure if I want to take them because of the bad side effects that I've read about on here.

I've got to take 10mg for a week then up it to 20mg. Are the side effects as bad as everyone is saying?

I've recently stopped taking Paroxetine which I was on for 15 years, it just stopped working for me. I had about a 8/9 week gap were I wasn't taking any A/D, but things didn't work out and I slowly started to get the anxiety attacks back followed by a mild depression. I could just about control the anxiety but the depression got the better of me.

I feel like sh*t already without adding something that will make things worse. I don't want to feel spaced out pulling weird face's all over christmas. I guess the bottom line is that I'm scared to take them because of what I've read.

Any feedback would be am great help.

Thanks

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When people say they feel a lot better so stop taking them is a common answer from people who I know who take Citalopram Although some of the work is done by the drug your lifestyle is a major factor Exercise is a great way of increasing how you feel even just gettin out walking the dog etc. Theirs no shame in taking them for the rest of your life if they keep you stable. I certainly will stay on them for as long as i can. I cannot describe how anxious I feel if I miss a dose very simmilar to alcohol withdrawal which I have experienced too...

• Posted

Hi

I started on 20mg 6 weeks ago for bad anxiety that led to depression and insomnia. After 4 weeks I was feeling absolutely awful, frozen with panic for almost a week due to some moderate stress at home, unable to think about anything else. In week 6, I had the experience that some others have posted about of suddenly feeling calm overnight. It has been a particularly stressful week with events that would normally have sent me into panic, but I have stayed calm and philosophical.

I have also begun CBT which I had been cynical about in the past but, even after 1 session, I am feeling positive that you really can change your thought process to prevent the 'black thoughts' taking control.

I would strongly recommend CBT as a starting point, but Citalopram is worth sticking at for those that really need the extra help.

P

• Posted

Hi, I am a 21yr old female and taken my first 20mg citalopram today. I first realised I had depression age 14 and then by 15 was self harming. By age 17 I knew what I was doing wasnt solving anything so mananged to stop the self harm with my own will power. The depression however never went away, and everyone in my family is very bubbly and in the last year my family and fella keep saying im always miserable and short tempered. Because of them comments, I would put on a fake happy front, and soon perfected the art of the fake smile around everyone I come into contact with, and even my customers at work compliment me on being so friendly and happy. Under the surface though, every thought I have is negative and it has been terribly hard not self harming again!

This weekend I had a breakdown and felt an overwhelming urge to just "get away" and when my mum found my huddled and hidden away in my wardrobe (something I did as a child when I was upset) she realised just how bad I was feeling.

We went to the doctors and he prescribed me 20mg of citalopram, and im also awaiting a call to see a therapist.

I was nervous taking the tablet, about half hour after taking it, I felt quite sick and my head felt like I was on ecstasy, but I didnt like the feeling! When I looked in the mirror, my pupils were HUGE and it scared me because I feeel abit crazy and now these tablets make me look crazy! Iv considered not taking them again, but after reading comments in a different discussion on here, I am going to continue with them, as I have seen many positive comments! Yes it may take a few weeks before I feel any better, but without them I was heading down a self destructive road anyway, so its worth a try!

• Posted

Hello , Magic & every-body else. I currently am on Celexa( Clitapram here in The USA) & I am experiencing some side effect's it seems. But the way i've delt with them- is, Lay in bed for an HOUR after you wake up. Eat something Solid, soft, and Yogurt helps.Greek yogurt. Yoplat didn't do it for me.Try to be active &force your self out of bed after that hour of feeling sick.I eat fiber for breakfest and it calms my stomach down.Any-one get the stuck- in -throat-feeling ? That goes away after awhile; i'm unsure if that is depression medication or my others I take for ADHD.I wake up feeling sore & unrested but during the day I gain my energy back. try going to bed early as well. it helps.

-Vivi.

• Posted

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to offer my input for anyone who may find it. I'm a male in my late 40's. I've suffered from anxiety and rage issues my whole life. Never been depressed, just don't deal with stress well. And when I say anger, I'm talking from zero to 100 in a nanosecond. The walking out of a room or counting to 10 stuff never worked for me because  I never had time to do them. I'd explode instantly. I decided to get help because I noticed it getting worse as I get older. I mentioned it to my general practicioner and he told me he might be able to help. I was relieved, because therapy and anger management had never done anything for me. He prescribed a low dose (5mg) of Celexa. Within days I was a different person. I found I was no longer stressed in situations that used to make me highly anxious and that my anger had almost dissapated to nothing. I've had a few instances where I've 'lost it', but I'd say Celexa knocks down 95% or more of my anger. It has changed my life. I also get by with a very small dose. I do notice a little dry mouth and decreased libido(which can be permanent, so beware), but I am more than willing to live with those side affects. I love this stuff. My family says I'm like a new man.
    • Posted

Hello jdavis57,

How long have you been on Celexa?

Would you say it is still helping?

I am having exactly the same issue that you have described- rapid onset rage and sustained anger. Based on your response, I will go back to my Psychiatrist and ask for Celexa

Thank you for your response in advance

• Posted

Hi there, i have recently started taking citalopram for depression & bad anxiety, I started off on 10 mg until i finished the first box then my doctor put me on 20mg..I must say these tablets have worked for me with no side affects & i am so much more calmer now & i dont worry or think half as much as i use to..My doctor has seen a change in me & says i can stay on them for the rest of my life if need be & i am 67 yrs old..Hope this helps !!!

• Posted

Hi guys. I am a 36 year old man and I have always had a short fuse but have managed to control it with a walk out the room and count to ten then 3 years ago I met my new partner who already had 4 children from a previous relationship shortly after we got together she fell pregnant with my first ever child because of there absent farther I took her children on as my own and they all call me daddy . So to cut the story short I went from 0-5 children over night and we argue all the time over my anger/temper short fuse shouting all the time. We got married in April and ended up falling out on the wedding night because I over reacted about our 9 year olds behaviour. My short fuse has got shorter and my shouting has got worse. My marriage is falling apart round my ears she has thrown me out it has got that bad. Just as we start to get talking again boom I blow up over nothing and am further back than I was before. I have been on citalopram 20 mg for 9 days now and I'm not sleeping and mulling over stuff (and that makes things worse) will this medication help with my outbursts and will I start sleeping probably soon. Thank you in advance 

• Posted

Hope you’re feeling better,bud.im also experiencing the same thing,except my wife has 3 children and I have one of my own.i started celexa 20mg again about 9 days ago and I feel as if my worrying has decreased a good bit .i don’t stress as much about stuff either.its hard when you bring in another family and it’s a struggle everyday,especially when the mother babies her children and they’re disrespectful.i seek the word of god everyday and his word has begun to help me tremendously.i hope things are better for you now buddy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.