New to citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone!

So today I went to the doctors after suffering with anxiety and minor depression. She prescribed me citalopram 10mg and said to take them tomorrow morning once daily. Anyone got any tips or positive feedback on these meds please as I’ve just come off sertraline as they weren’t agreeing with me. Many thanks💖

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi belle

I just wanted to give something back to this forum , the wonderful people on here don’t know it but they have helped me through the worst 3 months of my life , this is the first time I have written on here but I read the discussions every day . I have had anxiety and depression and have been on 20mg of citalapram for 10 weeks tomorrow. I just wanted to reassure everyone that it does get better and you do feel back to normal , they do take the full 6-8 weeks to work . The worse part for me was the feeling that I was never going to feel normal again , but I do ! 

I had all the side affects , nausea , yawning , insomnia, anxiety , agitation, sweating , intrusive thoughts etc, but it has all gone and now I sleep all night . I had 3 months off work and wouldn’t leave my house . I’m back to work now and going out and enjoying myself . It’s only been 10 weeks but wow what a difference. So anyone that is going through it or thinking of giving them up please give them time , they do work eventually. It’s an awful thing to go through , the morning anxiety was terrible but I do have a wonderful husband and family who helped me through and were very patient. I really feel for everyone going through this but you WILL get through it . 

Nic x

• Posted

Well said Nic it was the same for me but feel completely normal now x I go to the gym and swimming by myself which i wouldnt have done before x
    • Posted

Wow I’m really grateful that you have shared your story, thank you so much! I’m grinding my teeth, feeling spaced out and dizzy, nauseous and anxious. I’m really wanting to stick these out, it’s only early days for me but I’m ready to feel good again, even if it takes a little while! Xx
    • Posted

It will take a while but it’s so worth it when you get there , I was a mess for the first 6 weeks but I’m fine now 10 weeks in , all the side affects have gone (I think I had everyone going ) .

Your come through the other side and feel so glad you stuck with them xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle 

Your right they do give you a confidence boost as well when they’ve kicked in , I wouldn’t leave the house , go to work or even take my son to school I was that bad but now nothing fazes me . I’m so glad I stuck to the citalopram ( I wanted to give up on them so many times ) xx

• Posted

Hi that’s so refreshing to hear 😁😁 

This forum is great in sharing experiences. I thought it was just me that suffered with anxiety at its worst in the morning, but from reading theses posts I’m not and that  in it self helps x

• Posted

HI Casper 

Morning anxiety is awful , by week 8 it had gone completely , at the time though it felt like it was never going to end , I was counting down the days until I’d reached week 8 as it’s very true they take the full 6-8 weeks to work and then the only way was up for me . How long have you been on them ? Xx

• Posted

Hi Belle, 

Day 5 for me after a relapse. This group is amazing, I was a part of it last time around and it really does help especially for the darker days.  I had a very bad night last night but when they kick in they really do. I’d say 2 weeks b4 you start to feel the positives so hang on in there and take each day at a time xx 

• Posted

I really hope they work soon! I’m so happy you’ve offered me some advice thank you I appreciate it xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.