new to forum, diagnosed with costchondritis

Posted , 11 users are following.

first diagnosed 3 years ago. Suddenly had pain in left side of chest, sharp stabbing pains, hurt to breath and any kind of movement. Had breast cancer (had implants as a result) so instantly thought something had gone wrong with them).Was sent to breast clinic, but mammagams, scans etc, showed all was fine and was diagnosed with costochondritis. this has been ongoing for the past 3 years. now at the stage where it affects me day to day. Now have daily pain in chest, shoulder, back and neck, all on the left side..At it's worst,breathing alone is difficult and i can concur with the feeling of experiencing a heart attack. Walking becomes, slow and laboured, because of the pain. I feel for you all going through this, and hope we can share some hope, experiance and help amongst us

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh Megan, that is not what I wanted to hear. smile 3 yrs.....I am going on 2 wks and can't deal. Doesn't hurt to breath though. Walking is what I can do....sitting or laying too long hurts too bad. I think everyone is going to have so many different areas of pain. My job is working at a computer all day long doing payroll with a deadline....that was the worst. I have to go back to work on Monday and not sure how I can do it. Pain managment tomorrow and going to try acupunture as well. 

Something has to give! I hope you feel relief soon! 

• Posted

Laura, so sorry you read such negativity from me, but as you say everyone is different, i hope all is well with you

• Posted

hang in there megan. have you been to specialiats? Cardio?endocrinology? rheumatology? Accurpuncture therapy? Have you had tests done? Bloodwork? MRI? CT scans/ X ray? etc. We are all in this together to support each other. Have you tried any pain meds? Therapies?
    • Posted

hi Grace, yes had so many test, scans, MRI etc, painn meds are on-going for me, hopefully find some solution soon. wish you all the best x
    • Posted

Whats good about is that drs are ruling things out. Thats very important to us to have the bad stuff ruled out. I know that really helps my anxiety. I pray like crazy, and live for soft ice packs and tylenol. And Neurontin that helps me sleep at night. Rest is so important with this condition. Thank God Costro is not life threateneing. Just hurts alot at times. Im praying Drs find a cure for this for all of us!!!!  smile
    • Posted

Do you still have the costochrontitis? How are you doing with recovery?
    • Posted

Hi Kim, Yes I have still have Costro as well as Fibramyalgia. The neurontin helps the pain as well as ice packs and XS tylenol. Also Arnica gel and muscle rub helps to numb it. Theres also lidocaine patcjhes that help some people alot. How r u feeling?

I have good days and not so great days. But overall I'm better. Good luck hang in there

• Posted

I'm taking Tylenol and that's about it. Still not feeling well but hanging in there. I still worry constantly buy I'm trying to slow down and stop worrying all the time it's making me miserable. I sleep but am up very early in the morning.

• Posted

TRy camomile tea, also if your able to take motrin it helps Costro alot more. Reducing sugar a lot helps a lot too because of the inflammation.  try that arnica gel   its all natural and helps costro pain and inflammation. Maybe seeing a therapist will help your worryingf. I see one. She helps me alot. Have a great dayyyy
    • Posted

I'm gonna have to look up the arnica gel and I am definitely going to start therapy. I constantly worry about my health now and mentally is has changed me.

• Posted

same happened to me. i totally understand. also ask dr about neurontin for pain. its not a controlled substance, i also fibromyalgia.... so i understand pain. it gets better i promise
    • Posted

Hello Grace

I'm following this post and just wanted to ask as you are working like me how are you finding coping with pain and work. What precentage would you say you feel cured?

Have you tried the backpod also ?

Best

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Elaine. No I havent tried the back pod. Im a stay at home Mom.  But for months I couldn't do much , including cooking. I now can cook, clean, do laundry etc. I don't know if I'm considered cured. But I'm like 75% better. But I also have Fibramyalgia. With that I have good days and not so good days. Have you tried the Backpod?

Take care,

Grace

• Posted

I am an administrative assistant and work full time and some days I have a really hard time. I work in a computer app day long and do a little of Excel documents and I find it hard especially on the neck.
    • Posted

I have only just purchased and waiting for this to be delivered. Our costo pain does not descriminate home or at work its all the same awful. I find now 5/6 month on that my strength has been challanged so much that if I do a full week of work then my home suffers. So I completely understand good and bad days Grace.

More recently I find I have been getting a mild soar throat and cough that comes and goes its really odd not sure if even related but its like snowball of syptoms that have been picked up since having Costo

Best wishes

Elaine

• Posted

kim I too work office base and predominately at a desk all day. My commute is bad enough but now with Costo has been awful particularly where days are bad. Yes the left side of my neck feels so strained without working at my desk so is magnified during work hours frown. I have been on leave and am already feeling low about preparing to go to work simply because of Costo.

Sorry you still my earlier post has still not come through I have no idea why ?

Best wishes

Elaine

• Posted

I agree. Since my Costro was diagnosed two years ago I have other health issues come up. But I don't know if it has anything to do with the Costro or not. Either way Im very grateful Its not life threatening nor are my other health issues...Thank God! I do pray and it really helps me. I also have a counselor I talk to once a week. Shes wonderful and prays for me at the end of every session. This cxondition is anxiety provoking for sure, but there are things we can do to not get so anxious. Again we are all lucky its not life threatening, and I'm grateful for this site. We all share our stories and help each other. Hang in there.   smile smile smile smile

Take care,

Grace

• Posted

Would you mind me asking what other health issues please, Currently headaches and loss of weight have been my problem as well as mild abdominal pain,
    • Posted

I have headaches as well and have lost weight. . I'm also having an eye problems at the moment which I'm hoping will go away. We have a lit in common with this condition.

• Posted

I grateful for this forum and that we all share, it's so important we know where not alone! Yes there are a lot of commonalities with our symptoms. Today I've tried to hold off taking paracetamol and ibroupen tablets I've only used topical gel. I'm still not happy to take Amiitriptyline 10 mg as patient reviews sound awful. Are you under NHS or having care private?

Best

Elaine

• Posted

I'm based in the NHS is our health system tax payers put into.

How are you feeling.

Best

Elaine

• Posted

Im in the US and I have stare insurance. Yesterday I got some news about the flashing light in my eye. The eye doctor thinks I have a condition called Ocular Histopomosis I think that's how you spell it where a fungus can attach to the eye and cause vision loss. He gave me an Ansler Grid to watch for Changes in my vision. I'm trying not to get down about it and hope it goes away on it's own and doesn't cause vision loss for me. It seems to he one thing after another.

• Posted

Hi Kim

I am sorry that you have received this news. I'm not familiar with this eye condition but from what I have just read is treatable? Please try not to get down this forum will hopefully continue to be of support to you. Are you planning to update your GP with this information and whether this maybe connected to Costo inflammation at all? Will your optician review you again in a months time ?

Please stay strong and continue you to press for any investigations as neccessary. Answers are needed.

Warm regards and thinking of you.

Elaine

• Posted

You're so sweet Elaine I'm so glad we starting chatting on here. I go back to the eye doctor in a couple of weeks and yes my GP will get the information I wonder if they are related at all. Maybe inflection latched on to my chest wall? Who knows. Yes I think the eye condition is treatable to try and keep vision from getting damaged. I also have an upper gastric scope scheduled for Monday. Some days I just want to run and hide. Lol. I'm trying not to worry about everything. I'm off work today and clean house, doing laundry, and spending the day with my children. They really mean the world to me. I hope your day is fantastic as well. The sun is shining bright here in Iowa today. It's getting cold but the blue sky makes me think of springs warm weather. I can't wait to feel it in my skin and breathe it in my lungs.

• Posted

I had my first chiropractor assessment today where she took a full history of my symptoms and general health down. Never having been to a chiropractor before I was not sure what to expect too. Basically she examined my body movement ranage and then assessed by pressure touch my spine and viewed that points of my spine were tender and in turn points of my thorasic intercostal nerves were irritated and inflammed. Her touch and pressure really provided a clear diagnosis of the tenderness of the areas of my complaint. Overall I found that she was a good practitioner and will attend some further sessions with her and see what yeilds.

I felt a bit achey this afternoon and with pain later. I am still mostly worried with weight loss due to loss of appetite and have had a few headaches today although I have decreased the amount of tablets taking.

Just want to get back to me again and this vicous cycle is just awful.

Best Regards

Elaine

• Posted

I definitely understand. I dont take any pain meds but I dont feel like myself most days. My nerves are all bunched up as well. I was going to a chiropractor but I've since stopped. I hope it helps you.

• Posted

May I ask why you stopped did you experience any further irritation?
    • Posted

I was going for dizziness and head pressure before the chest pain started. I went once after it and I wasn't sure what was causing it. The chiropractor didn't want me to go after the light started flashing in my eye told me I could be having a stroke and I haven't went back. I did enjoy going but I wondered if it made the chest pain worse but because they think I may have an ulcer I am not able to take any anti inflammatory drugs which would have helped.

• Posted

Thanks Kim its completely logically that after treatment you would feel soar as I did too. Gosh stroke? This was eventually rule out for you? Did you find out abou the Ulcer.

anti inflammatorys are so awful!

sending you best wishes.

Elaine

• Posted

The eye doctor I am seeing thinks I have that ocular Histoplasmosis which explains the flashing in my eye. There can be a lot of different reasons for the flashing. Stroke can be one of the possibilities. I didn't have a stroke tho and they think it's just that eye issue hopefully they are right. My scope is tomorrow so I will find out about the ulcer after that. I'm hoping and praying everything is ok. I have never had one before.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.