new to forum, diagnosed with costchondritis

Posted , 11 users are following.

first diagnosed 3 years ago. Suddenly had pain in left side of chest, sharp stabbing pains, hurt to breath and any kind of movement. Had breast cancer (had implants as a result) so instantly thought something had gone wrong with them).Was sent to breast clinic, but mammagams, scans etc, showed all was fine and was diagnosed with costochondritis. this has been ongoing for the past 3 years. now at the stage where it affects me day to day. Now have daily pain in chest, shoulder, back and neck, all on the left side..At it's worst,breathing alone is difficult and i can concur with the feeling of experiencing a heart attack. Walking becomes, slow and laboured, because of the pain. I feel for you all going through this, and hope we can share some hope, experiance and help amongst us

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been on Prednisone (3 rounds) and it does help. Dr doesn't want me on it forever, but I must say it gives me relief! I hate what it does to me (I.e. I eat EVERYTHING in sight and I can't sleep worth a damn, but I will take those side effects rather than the pain and breathing issues I have been dealing with! I will be done with the Prednisone next week and I will let you know what happens when I'm off!

• Posted

thank you for your input Queen Mo, please do keep me informed with your progress, wishing you best of luck x
    • Posted

Hi QueenMo

would be grateful to hear any updates on how your progressing please.

Best

Elaine

• Posted

Timing is everything ... haven't had a flare up in a couple of months and today it is full blown  ... I had Influenza A and that set me back since I have COPD also ... the Costro didn't raise its ugly head until now! I don't know what triggers it ... that's the mystery to me. Haven't left the house in 2 weeks because of the sub-zero temps in the Midwest part of the U.S.

• Posted

It's a complete mystery what brings on these attacks!!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with costochrontitis about a month ago. I had severe chest pain and went to the ER. I had an EKG and chest x Ray. I was back in the ER a week later with pains in a different chest area and they did two more EKGs and a CT scan with contrast of my chest. Everything was fine. I went for a stress test and that was fine as well. I had lumps in my breasts and went for a mammogram and ultrasound and that was fine. I still worry constantly and when I'm anxious the pain seems worse. I'm hoping it goes away soon. Someone please reply and let me know if you still have this!

• Posted

I really appreciate reading all posts and strongly believe that health professionals should be using this information to research, understand and diagnose and treat our conditions comprehensively,

Since October I have been battling with Costo which started as;

Left chest pain

Breathlessness

pounding heart palpitations

tired and fatigued

Headaches and head pressure

Arm and hand tingling sensations and sometimes in my left foot.

Generally feeling unwell

Like many of you I have attended A&E on several occassions with ECG, bloods and chest Xrays all being normal. Mammogram also clear.

But my still my sypmtoms persist........

Anixety has been slowly becoming an everyday part of my live and is very scary as I commute to work and find being on the train and particularly the tube distressing.

My left eye has worsened and although I wear glasses to for PC work and find I now need to wear them to help my refocus???

Recently I have felt severe pain long the left side of my neck like a pulling and tighting. My lymph node has been up and have been also getting random soar throats ?? Yesterday evening I became so stressed and anxious I called a friend to come to my home as I also have a 9 year old daughter whom I love dearly and finding my health is causing such distress to her.

I called 111 this morning at 5am who arranged a out of hours gp appointment for me at my local hospital. When I explained the neck symptoms to the GP she was not worried and said it was the anixety that was magnifying my health complaints.

I have been taking

ginger and tumeric

Green Tea

Plenty of water

Using Paracetamol, Nerouphen (mildly help)

I have been doing some upper chest excercises and using rubs such as

Arnica

Tiger Balm

I am awaiting another set of blood works results taken Thursday and have booked yet another appointment with my GP on Tuesday. This is wearing!!

My personality has chanaged I not the me anymore and Im struggling to do a full day as me. I just feel something more sinister is at play with my health but because the NHS is so slow in moving things along I feel my health has been put on the backburner.

I plan to contact a physiotherapist and see if that can help.

Best wishes to you all.

And thank yo for the Lyme disease info.

• Posted

I have some sort of chest pain every day now as well and neck pain. Head pressure in the same side as the neck pain. Even my clavicles hurt. I have anxiety every day about it but they say I'm ok. I'm going to a physical therapist for the neck issues. She thinks everything is musculoskeletal and doesn't think I have costochrondritis. It's all very confusing. I don't have issues breathing and I feel pulling with my cartilage. My doctor thinks it could be because I have large breasts. I also worry that the CT scan with contrast I had is going to give me cancer. sad I freak out over everything and am now on anxiety meds.

• Posted

Hi Kim

I fully appreciate how you are feeling.

Anixety seems to be prevelent to our condition. May I ask besides anxiety meds what else have you tried?

i should add I have been also taking epsom salt baths and I going purchase some glucosomine that is suppose to aid healing of cartilage.

I am taking vitamin D and fish oils.

What anxiety tablets are you taking and are they helping?

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you Elaine best wishes to you too. I am taking Lexapro and I don't know if they are helping although I have (for the most part) stopped googling all of my symptoms. I am still very worried with health anxiety. I have acid reflux and am on a PPI, and my doc believes I have an ulcer so that has been limiting what I can take. I did better before when I was taking ibuprofen but that started another mess with burning in my chest and stomach which is why they think I have the ulcer. I have been trying to deal with it and I take Tylenol sometimes but not very often. I have been doing exercises to stregnthen my back which sometimes helps a little stretching things out but other times just hurts. I keep wondering if I have some type of connective tissue disorder. I am trying to trust my doctor's but I have all of these little lumps around the breastbone and they hurt to touch. The doctor says that's my cartilage and it's just irritated.

• Posted

Hi Kim

Happy New Year to you.

I think googling (as i do also) is the probably unhelpful as it just leaves us wondering more. i know how you feel particularly with the breastbone pain. I have another appointment with my gp as I want to review next steps in investigations and possible treatments. i have started a course of vitamin D and hope to see some improvement with overall joint pains experiencing. Are you try cold and warm pads to the effected area.

Its exhausting I know but please do continue to try alternatives along with the medicines. I dislike having to relie on painkillers etc.

I have heard hydrotherapy is another treatment that could be benicial to our condition.

Do let me know how you are getting on.

Best

Elaine

Ā 

• Posted

Happy New year to you as well. My chest seems to have calmed down a bit today I have been trying not to irritate it by feeling all around my cartilage because I was really making it worse. It feels a little smoother today and I slept last night without a bra and maybe that helped a bit. I read that costochondritis can go hand and hand with fibromyalgia and I'm wondering who to see for that or if there is a need to be diagnosed. What further appointments are you seeking out?

• Posted

Hello Kim

I am pleased to hear you've had some mild relief from your symptoms. Yes I found not wearing restrictive underwear that press against the ribs and shoulder help although I do need support underwear when going to work. Yes I have also heard the interlink of fibro and costo??? You GP should be able to make referrals for fibro I would imagine.

My blood test results came back normal so I am going to ask for antinuclear antibody test. I also have an ENT appointment coming up as I due to headaches and dizzness.

I am going for an assessment wiht a pyshiotherapist

Besides this I continuing the gentle stretches - please visit healdove website I think the author has done a excellent page on stretches for Costo.

Please do let me know how you are getting on.

Best

Elaine

• Posted

I still have pain here and there and when I do I still worry. Worry makes the pain worse and it seems to be a nasty, vicious cycle. I'm working on feeling better. My GP doesn't think this is anything serious but I still worry about it. The pain around my sternum seems to be getting better. Collarbone and neck pain are ok some days and not others. How about you?

• Posted

I go back to work on Monday having had annual leave and my daughter returning to school today. I guess this is going to be the test as I have a daily work commute of 1.5 each way. 

Auto immune condition test - I think is my next step more for reassurance as my GP has said similarly nothing serious as further detoriation would have been present by now !!

ENT appointment to attend still as well.

Yes I understand the pain is on a day by day basis and to wear it most hurts.

I have decided not to take the Amitriptyline 10mg for now as the reviews have been off putting.

Going to try the backpod -  Please do check out the healdove site too.

I am along with you working on healing it alot of mental strength but I think its so important.

Best

Elaine

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I believe that has to do with immunology testing. Looking for Lupus and things like that. They did that bloodwork for me. Also, My Dr was looking for cancer and other serious diseases, So the benefits outweighed the risk for me. The peace of mind and answers is what my Dr and I needed. I'm glad I did it.  Sometimes, Cancer and other conditions do not show up on just blood work. Hope this helps,Grace

• Posted

Hi Kim

I did reply very earlier today but it appears my post is still awaiting moderating !! auto immune testing is not just for cancer but several other conditions and is more bio chemistry that goes further then standard blood tests.

Hopefully my earlier post will become public too.

Best

Elaine

• Posted

Hello Kim

Hope to find you well.

I was just wondering how your collarbone and neck pain are? I have been battling with this for weeks now and am really considering asking my gp to refer me for an injection for my left shoulder that is complete rock hard and painful travelling up the left side of neck its just made me feel so dreadful honestly.

Best

Elaine

Ā 

• Posted

I have had some neck pain still and my collarbones es aren't as bad as long as I try not to stress over it. I've been diagnosed with some other issues and that kind of has my attention right now. I worry constantly about what I can eat now due to this gerd, hiatal hernia, and Barrett's esophagus. That's really taking my attention. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. Once I stopped pressing and worrying about the costo it really eased up for me. I hope your go can refer you to someone who will help!

• Posted

Sorry Kim about your presenting issues. I really to hope that effective treatment will come about for these diagnosis. Your right it niggles away at you and heightens everything worsening how you feel and the pain of course.

Please keep us posted on how your doing.

Best wishes

• Posted

Stress brings all of these terrible issues right front and center. That's for sure. Please keep us updated also Elaine. I hope you get relief soon!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.