New to Gout

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need help. this is all new to me. Im 55 yr male. 12days ago came down with gout. The Dr. wont perscribe any meds because my kidneys arnt the best. Going to aruba in 24 days. is there something out there that will stop the gout so that i can drink alcohol there. I have changed my diet allready. and started drinking lots of water. please help

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately not I'm afraid Alcohol is a thing of the past lol

But keep drinking the water it's dehydration that was getting me

• Posted

The answer is fabaxostat (excuse spelling). It works same way as allopurinol but it doesn't eliminate through the kidney. However it's expensive.

However going to a hot climate is bad for gout (drink loads), and it's best to avoid alcohol.

In reality you'd be better to learn to enjoy life without alcohol.

• Posted

You cant drink until the attack is over you will end up in more pain and on crutches. My advice would be to use the holiday to stop drinking.

Is it the first attack?

• Posted

Good point Roger. If it's his first attack, it may be his last (not because it will kill him lol). However, Jeff has indicated a weak kidney at gout is largely a problem of the kidney, so odds on it won't be the last attack.

• Posted

Lol.

I only asked as opinion seems to indicate that first attacks are not as severe. That said you may be ok (attack subsided) and decide to drink.

Not a good idea as it may flare up again and you will be in Aruba in a lot of pain and possibly immobile as opposed to be moving freely albeit not consuming alcohol.

If you know you have kidney damage then why contemplate drinking at all. Just chill out and enjoy the holiday. Aruba, lucky you i say.

• Posted

In my experience wine is the easiest to tolerate without getting gout, beer and spirits are worse. I used to be able to drink a couple of pints 3 times a week or a bottle of wine about the same when I first developed gout (less now). But yeah, hot climate you're gonna need much more water to an almost ridiculous extent. In the end we're all different and you're gonna have to find your own levels. Unfortunately this will mean playing with fire, so to speak. If you want to drink you'll have to try and avoid gouty foods as well (google them). I'm now 7 years older than you and mostly have to avoid alcohol. (Once a week treat.) It sucks but getting old is like that. Old age just seems to be about giving things up as far as I can see until you have to sit in a chair watching repeats of Oprah. DEATH, come on, I'm ready now!  Heh heh, good luck and try to have a good holiday!

• Posted

But surely you can enjoy life without alcohol? I must admit I gave it up some 20 years ago when living in a Muslim country, and I must say that after, when I lived in a drinking country (NZ), I noticed how poorly people behaved when drinking, so now rarely drink. At first when giving it up, I rather missed it. Can't say I do now.

• Posted

Of course I can enjoy life without alcohol but I like to enjoy everything I can as long as I can, it's just part of it. I'd like to still play football, race bikes and play in a group as I did in my youth but I've had to give these things up through inability. I don't give up until I absolutely have to, with anything. Just the way I am. I've never really drunk so much that I was out of control (maybe once or twice). Up until last year I used to walk 4/5 days a week but my feet are arthritic, apart from gout so I've had to give that up mostly as well. Why willingly give things up? That I don't understand.

• Posted

I think that giving up an addictive drug, is not a sacrifice.

As for the arthritis - same as gout - could be due to the inflammation caused by hyperuricemia. Solve that and it could well stop the arthritis.

• Posted

The arthritis is down to just plain wear and tear and when you get to a certain age you realise that there are no solutions just a management of attrition and the desire to maintain a quality of life that is acceptable personally.
  • Posted

Jeff

Have you had your blood urate tested either during or ideally before or after an attack?

I guess they haven't extracted an joint fluid?

Are you overweight?

• Posted

I would not overlook Rustys comments regarding weight. I made lifestyle choices and lost nearly 2 stone too. Touch wood i have not had an attack since the s.o.b that changed me outlook last December.

Hard to say whether the diet changes or the weight loss are the reason. But looking back i have not suffered half as much when i have not been overweight. Mmm.

• Posted

I take allopurinol and lost a couple of stone. Not had an attack in almost a year, although had the odd twinge (could be imagined even). No change in diet at all (except to lose weight). Lots of water and cycling.
  • Posted

A recent article was written up stating that alcohol is a poison to our bodies. I believe we all sort of know this but prefer to ignore it. Now, you state you have bad kidneys, I'm almost sure it's due to the poison you've been drinking. You've gotten gout, a metabolic unbalanced uric acid level due to your kidneys not being able to process the poison going through your system, and you want a quick fix so you can put more poison in your body in a few weeks? Where is the logic in this? Which btw, gout takes a few weeks to flush out, if you're lucky.

• Posted

Your drinking days are done I suspect.

I now understand why your doc is reticent to presecribe any more drugs.

You are left with the following: drink all the water you can. Cut out all fructose esp high fructose corn syrup. Exercise (swim? bike?). Cut your BMI to under 25. You will discover the things that trigger gout in you - avoid them.

There are a couple of natural remedies which may help: tart cherries, and extract from pineapple.

To quote a fellow contributor " Your drinking days are done" or at least mostly done.

• Posted

Can't fault your logic there Sochi.

I think Jeff probably realises that he's being a bit optimistic though. 

• Posted

Two poisons contributed​ in destroying your kidneys, and want to continue taking one of them. Yeah, I guess some people just have a death wish.
    • Posted

The only optimistic outcome is that he's living with one or two kidneys that barely work, if at all. Our kidneys are extremely delicate; if you run poison through them chances are they'll never mend unless, of course, he's hoping for a kidney transplant.

None of this sounds good to me with heart problems, drinking problem, kidney problems, and now gout. Signs of early death is what it's leading to imho.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.