New to Gout

Posted , 8 users are following.

I need help. this is all new to me. Im 55 yr male. 12days ago came down with gout. The Dr. wont perscribe any meds because my kidneys arnt the best. Going to aruba in 24 days. is there something out there that will stop the gout so that i can drink alcohol there. I have changed my diet allready. and started drinking lots of water. please help

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have found relief with eating pineapple and drinking cherry juice.  I also have made turmeric tea to help with inflammation.  Cherry juice has worked wonders though.  Hopefully by laying low on proteins, drinking lots of water and cherry juice you'll be able to chill in Aruba with some tasty rum.

• Posted

Hi All, I have had gout attacks for 4 or 5 yrs now. I did not want to go on medication and from Nov 16 to Feb 17 was crippled with gout in my ankles and heels. I said to myself that I would see the doctor to start medication once the gout has subsided, as I understand you cannot start the meds until the gout flare up has gone. I read online about what vitamins and herbal remedies people were taking and decided to start taking them and (touch wood!) I have not had any gout symptoms for 3mths now which I think is incredible considering I had gout symptoms for 3 months solid! I am taking Celery seed, 1000mg dissolvable vitamin C tabs, vitamin b tabs and folic acid. I will keep you posted on any flare ups but I am hoping this will not be necessary!!!
    • Posted

The reason for taking the medication is so that the gout doesn't do long term permanent damage to the joints, tendons, archeries, kidneys and heart.

• Posted

(Got cut off)....the reason for taking medication is because hyperuricemia which causes gout also causes a host of other disease processes. If you are able to suppress the gout symptoms, that is great - except that if you blood urate is high you are setting yourself up for illness in your case, in about 5-10 years time.
    • Posted

Surely if you stop the symptoms you are controlling the Urate levels?
    • Posted

Imagine you have a tooth abscess. Rather than taking an antibiotic or bothering with all the medical stuff, you simply take some off the shelf pain killers and anti inflammatory medications. Have you stopped the abscess or simply stopped the symptoms?

All the herbal things reduce the inflammatory response, they reduce the gout, but do not address the underlying disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.