New to hives

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

Not sure I’m in the right place but here goes. Started itching Monday night in bed. Freaked out and thought it was bed bugs. Tuesday morning saw the red welts all over. Some were huge. The size of dinner plates. 

Went to my family doctor who put me on a cocktail of Benadryl at bedtime and Zantac and Claritin twice a day. Wasn’t better by the evening and I was of course freaking out about anaphylactic issues. Added a steroid and said If I were to have anaphylactic issues it would have already happened. Went to allergist  Today.  Changed the cocktail to Zantac and Claritin up to 4 times a day (plus steroids). Allergist also said anaphylactic would have already happened. I’ve taken 3 doses today and minimal relief. How long do these meds take to kick in?  I have two huge welts on my legs. I think because I wore jeans to my allergist and I could literally feel them heating up. They’ve been there longer than any others. 

I’m inanely itchy and Benadryl at least gave me some relief for about 3-4 hours but now I can only take at bedtime. 

Any advice is appreciated and I also live alone so I’m scared of the anaphylactic thing! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Try Chinese medicine. It worked wonderfully well for my 8 year old nephew.  I posted about his experience on this forum. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.