New to hives

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello,

Not sure I’m in the right place but here goes. Started itching Monday night in bed. Freaked out and thought it was bed bugs. Tuesday morning saw the red welts all over. Some were huge. The size of dinner plates. 

Went to my family doctor who put me on a cocktail of Benadryl at bedtime and Zantac and Claritin twice a day. Wasn’t better by the evening and I was of course freaking out about anaphylactic issues. Added a steroid and said If I were to have anaphylactic issues it would have already happened. Went to allergist  Today.  Changed the cocktail to Zantac and Claritin up to 4 times a day (plus steroids). Allergist also said anaphylactic would have already happened. I’ve taken 3 doses today and minimal relief. How long do these meds take to kick in?  I have two huge welts on my legs. I think because I wore jeans to my allergist and I could literally feel them heating up. They’ve been there longer than any others. 

I’m inanely itchy and Benadryl at least gave me some relief for about 3-4 hours but now I can only take at bedtime. 

Any advice is appreciated and I also live alone so I’m scared of the anaphylactic thing! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Will your dr give you an epi pen since you live alone.. I have angioedema and i had my throat closed sending me to er.last year. Now my face and tongue swell but trying to get over a horrible month of hives despite taking xolair .. I will tell you when i take a hot bath with 6 drops ginger essential oil, they go away so i can sleep thru the night.. I am hoping my xolair shot begins working again as all of a sudden it stopped after taking it over a year..  I wish you the best of luck these are not fun and affect your everyday life ..stay here there are lots of ppl who are very helpful..
    • Posted

I actually got two epipens because I’m doing a retest skin test. Last time I discovered I’m allergic to everything except one blade of grass. I started immunotherapy but stopped after a few months. 

I’ve had three doctors tell me it would already have happened so I’m hopeful but these hives are moving around and “Google” says they should resolve within 24-48 hours. Coming up on 48 hours now. Just want some relief! 

When can I expect that on antihistamines and steroids?   This is my first time ever having hives. 

Thanks so much for your reply! 

• Posted

Antihistamines didn't work for me. The only thing that helps is Triamcinolone. I've tried diet changes, drinking tons of water, and every antihistamine under the sun (3xs the prescribed amount). The only thing I haven't tried is prednisone but that's because its internal and I prefer to steroids topical.

That said, Triamcinolone takes the edge off the itch in about a day.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks so much. I am mentioning it to my doctor. I see an allergist. At least that’s where I’m starting. Should I see a dermatologist? Someone else? 
    • Posted

Seeing a Dermatologist is your best bet ,,but you will need the usual referral from your  G.P.

so don't hold your breathe .Calamine lotion is good .

• Posted

I think the dermatologist gave me the most immediate relief, but not much help in finding the route cause. There are lots of great threads by other Urticaria victims that are really worth reading.

Eg

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/hives-urticaria-how-much-antihistamine--667132

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/chronic-urticaria-674704

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/chronic-urticaria-gone-669077

• Posted

Ok I’ll try the dermatologist. 48 hours with minimal relief but I suppose that’s normal? I was just able to sleep maybe 2 hours. How am I supposed to function?! I’ve already missed 2 days of work. I keep breaking out! I just want the itch to stop so I can concentrate on figuring out the route cause!
  • Posted

Hi mary91160, 

I know it's only a minor relief, but have you tried having a cold bath, when you are itchy in bed.  It can give some symptomatic relief. 

Hope you feel better soon! 

All the best,

Jonathan

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

I have tried an aveeno bath but warmer water because I’m cold. Didn’t help as much as the repeated Benadryl cream. I was just told I could take the Benadryl tabs every six hours 50mg so that should help. That’s in addition to Zantac and Claritin up to 4 times a day, Vistiril and singulair. Oh and steroids. Wow. I hope I never get this again. My worry is I don’t know what caused it so it’s likely I’m still exposed to it. I am allergic to everything so I’m going to get a cleaner in my house to do a hepa vac and start usIng all natural products. Just trying to patiently wait out this cycle of hives. Almost day 4. 

• Posted

One person on Patient reported that an Epson salt bath helped reduce hives/itch. It didn't work for me, but give it a try.

• Posted

Epsom salt bath helped temporarily. Today I felt so much better. Almost all hives disappeared!  Figured they were slowing down after the steroids finally! 

Took a couple Claritin, cleaned up some of the house and was fine until I went to go to sleep. I can feel them prikly again coming back. Ugh. I was hopeful I was on the upswing. Just took a couple Benadryl and hoping to sleep. Allergist said today it should only get better but here we go. Still hopeful it’s an acute reaction and won’t be chronic. 

• Posted

Give a ginger bath a try . it sure did work for me.. But two days ago i had my xolair shot and so far so good .. only two or three hives now.. 
    • Posted

I’m definitely going to try it. I have some dottera oils. Just not that one. Yet!
  • Posted

I also one time added epsom salts and another time baking soda with five drops of ginger oil.. I also just used ginger oil only.. I was shocked it worked so well I had two huge wasps stings with hives all around them and i thought i would give it a shot and what a surprise i could just feel them leaving but of course they came back the next day.. It was only a temporary fix as most of these are..  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.