New to Hypothyroid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I am 29 years old. I recently got my thyroid tested and my TSH was 8.2, my doctor told me that it is very high and put me on medication right away. I was planning to conceive that time, however I was told to hold on for at least two months, so that my thyroid stabilizes and only then should I plan a baby.  

My T3 and T4 results are still awaited, however it’s been 3 weeks since I am taking the thyroid pills (thyronorm 50 mg), empty stomach, first thing in the morning.

I have read a lot of articles on the internet and I could not relate to any of the hypothyroid symptom. I am more or less fit, active throughout the day, hair, nails, skin also do not have any issues. I was a happy person with an athletic build and no health issues in particular until I decided to have a baby and was tested positive for hypothyroid. I exercise regularly so there was not any drastic weight gain. Yes, I have gained some pounds, but it wasn’t drastic and there could be many other reasons to it (sedentary job, newly wed etc.).

However, ever since I have started taking these medication, I am suffering from severe mood swings. I feel irritated most of the time, partly depressed, partly lonely etc. It is difficult to explain, mainly because I have never had such issues ever in live. It is harder to concentration, and even though everything else in life is the same, I am not happy at all.

Could you please tell me if this is normal? And how do I control this, I really do not like this new version of myself. I feel like crying as soon as I get up and even though my husband is next to me, I feel so lonely all the time. Should I change my medication? Could it be the medicine? It could also be pre pregnancy anxiety as I am quite terrified of getting pregnant but I really cannot pin it down to that.  Please help.

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was diagonized back in March with a TSH of 477, they put me on 150mg of synthroid and I can honestly tell you that the first 3 months were pure hell. Mood swings, Hot flashes, hardly able to function and I was told on this very website to hang in there and you will feel better and I can honestly say that once you get pass the first 3 months, things do improve. 
    • Posted

Thanks , this makes it a lot better. Its been just a month since I went on meds and I agree with you, this site and the people on the forum have been very helpful. You can not stop the discomfort, but knowing that it is normal and it will fade with time is a great boast.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.