New to IBS ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been informed about this forum by a doctor and decided to share my experiences with IBS.

I'm a 31 year old professional, having a really hectic life style(always had). I used to be quite chubby (around 80 kilos) and 1.75 cm height. And used to eat any sort of food, alcohol + occasionally smoking.

Just over a year ago(2012), I have a severe wisdom teeth problem and before the extraction, I was offered to take several painkillers by my dentist (ibuprofen) since the pain was too much! Right after the removal and treatment (maybe a month), one day I had a horrible diarrhea following with mild cramps and had to rush to the emergency. When I was checked the doctors could not find anything important, and sent me home. The diarrhea and other symptoms disappeared but I started to have rapid bowel movements in the morning so decided to see my GP. My GP run several tests, including full blood profile, Stool, urine, H. Pylori but could not find anything and diagnosed with IBS. The problem was I started to lose weight during this period, even though my symptoms disappeared slowly.

I've changed my diet, as started to eat more vegetables, sea-food, fibers and NO junk-food!

Completely stopped drinking alcohol,cola or any other sugary drinks and stopped smoking for the time being.

Currently my weight is about 66 kilos, and my height is 1.75 cm. I have recently got a full-blood profile check and everything was normal but I was quite worried about my weight. I was told that due to the fact that, I have completely changed my diet (stopping alcohol, junk food and etc..) this might have caused a weight loss but my GP said, it's quite normal according to my BMI. For the time being, (about 18 months, ) I see this weight loss, more than 10 kilos a little bit too much!! (I do exercise more than I used to, walking + jogging 2-3 times a day)

I rarely get some IBS symptoms, like wanting to rush to toilet after a big meal and sometimes just not having a big appetite that I used to have. During this period, I never had any other symptoms or even a cold,flu, weird stools and etc...

Would really appreciate some feedback regarding to my weight loss and the diagnosis so far.

Thank you

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi lucky charm

In my case all started three years ago and Yeep tsp water processed drunk smoked you name it eat and drunk then wham all went wrong from then on now can only eat white meat and fish vegetables only listed except no onions or bean no wheat dairy nuts only buy fresh from local British farm in vegetables that are organic meat comes from local butcher and fish order online from well known London market Yeep expensive all round but better than be safe than suffer

Thanks for the well wishes just another blip in my life but gallbladder ruin but nothing to do with what I know eat just can't repair from whats happened before it get sorted and taken out then I go back to living again

Hope info help

Kaz

• Posted

Well it's just gone nine a.m and I have been awake most of the night with back pains a raging headache and stomach pains.... Bet I've had about three hours kip!!!!

Been to the doctors and until I'm diagnosed its work as usual can you believe it, bloody doctors useless. Does anyone else who is supposed to be suffering with IBS have terrible back pain and stiff neck?

Lee (well fed up from West Bromwich)

• Posted

Hi lee

Don't think it's ibs where is the pain

What did doctors say ?

Are the pains worse straight after eating ?

Have you acid taste in mouth?

E mail me we can talk better

Kaz

• Posted

Hi kaz

Email me at xxx I've got your email address on me pc at work but its Sunday so I'm home for a change....

Emis Moderator comment: I removed the email address as we do not publish these. If you wish to forward/share details such as this please use the message service.

• Posted

Hello everyone,

Wanted to update my situation since August. I have not had any IBS symptoms since August (fingers crossed!) but had been seeing doctors regularly as I had a few constipation issue and tiny rectal bleeding. After an initial rectal diagnosis,they found out some small piles and anal fissure due to hard stools and thankfully it's been recovering so far. (hot baths, fibers, waters, and resting...)

- I started to gain weight again since August, which is good news for me and my appetite has been getting much better.

- I try to drink more water as well, since the fissure experience. Having hardstools and fissure is not a good experience!

- I still prefer fish but tend to eat chicken and red-meat time to time, have not had any issue so far.

- I try to have a breakfast everyday. Weekdays, quite light, bran + porridge, milk + fruits. Weekends, cook breakfast including egg, veggies (cucumber especially). Trying to reduce coffee (one or two max. latte everyday)

- Green and camomile tea, still every day.

- Eating loads of dry fruits like raisins, prunes and appricot.

- Replaced my bed and added more pillows, so trying to create a slight slope while sleeping in order not to sleep completely flat position. This has really helped my horrible morning nausa. I do not feel sick when I wake up anymore.

- NO STRESS. As I mentioned previously, I had a pretty stress and hectic work. I have managed to change my job and having better colleagues around has really made some difference honestly.

- I still do not drink any alcohol and no smoking. I started to eat some junk food during the day, with small amounts(chocolates, cupcakes and etc...) so far no problem.

Will try to update my symptoms more in the next 6 months, and I hope things will get much better for everyone out there!

PS: I would like to mention that these are my personal experiences and my GP has run several tests like blood, stool and urine, tyroid, hepatits, kidney functions and etc... Nothing has been found and no prescription has been given so some of these changes might not fit for everyone.

• Posted

Hallo! I've just been diagnosed with Severe IBS and really struggling with food. Just about everything seems to trigger my pains and its stressing me out. I feel nauseous all the time and just really achey.

I'm new to this, any help please?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.