New to Mirt, so many questions :(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Only started taking this Mirt drug a few days ago...doc perscribed 15mg, melt in your mouth. well the first night i took 2, as one didnt do the trick. 2nd night i took 3 bcuz after 2 i wasnt sleepy enough to sleep. last night i took 3 and just willed myself to sleep, but i was awake 4 or 5 times thru the night last night..! WTF!?  its supposed to treat insomnia and my anxiety and depression , but if i can friggin sleep then its doing what its supposed to do..my question is this, if doc gave me 15mg per night and im already needing 3 to go to sleep is that ok that i take the 3 or will something serious happen to me?... I just wanna say the hell with it and go buy Sleep MD so i know i will friggin sleep. I really NEED some answers , anything will help me at this point. im going to go ahead and take 3 tonight anyways, but i dont want to basically up my dose without my doctor lol if ya know what i mean.

sad

Sleepless sheep

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hello

sorry to be so honest but you must take 3, especially straight way, 3 is 45mg the highest dose your allowed.

just because you take one its not designed a sleeping tablet, ok it helps you to sleep,

the drug at 10mg or 15mg etc wont have immediate effects, it will take time to get into the system, time to change brain patterns,

buy taking 3 if you then drop down to 10mg you will be back as if you wernt taking any at all,

its a good drug it does the job but please give it time, take your 10mg for a few weeks,

i can tell by the mail your stressed dealng with that first will help you sleep, you seem wound up and that isnt doing you any good, 

if you read some of my other replies to mirt subjects it will give you some help, 

pills are only part of the solution, the rest of it is up to the patient,

stephen 

• Posted

sorry it should have read you MUST NOT TAKE 3 ,
    • Posted

lol, stephen, i figured it out after reading all the replies, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me, everybody!!! I just found this site and i am glad to have a place to ask questions and read others experiences and thoughts , thanks so much!!!

vic

• Posted

Sounds as if your dose needs to b higher. I went from 20 to 30, now on 45. ..it works for me in many ways. Just let your doctor know good luck

• Posted

I have to agree with Stephen . YOU MUST NOT TAKE 3 TABLETS if the doc has prescribed one. Mirtazapine is not a sleeping pill designed to knock you out straightaway, it's an antidepressant for anxiety &depression, with a sedative affect. All antidepressants take at least 2 weeks to get into your system and start working. If you want help with sleeping inthe meantime you need to ask doc for a sleeping pill such as temazapam or zopiclone. The starting dose for mirtazapine is 15mg, and it can be increased later. I do know how it feels to be desperate, but taking more than the doc prescribed of any drug could be dangerous.
    • Posted

thank you Pixie22, i know what i am doing is wrong but like u said i feel desperate to sleep and i thought Mirtazipine was supposed to basically knock u out at bed time, because the first night it really did lol. anyways, thank you

I will get an over the counter sleeping aid today at the drugstore and just take the 15 mg of Mirt.

until i see my doctor again next week.

thx smile

• Posted

Hi, I take mirtazepine 18 months ago, worked for me, I went from 15mg to 30mg and then 45mg. Gave me back my life.
  • Posted

I need to take it one and a half hours before bedtime for it to help me sleep. Also, I believe that 15 mg has more of an effect for helping you sleep than a higher dose. You were probably awake during the night because the dose was too high. Do not take three of the pills. Mirtazapine does not help with tension or worry at bedtime. So if that is keeping you awake then mirtazapine will not help you to sleep.
    • Posted

i agree, the time you take it is so important, if you cant sleep take it 1 hour earlier over a week until you  feel the benefit,

but best not to drive after taking it, 

• Posted

Thanks so much, and yes i was awake almost the whole night again...makes sense what you said. makes alot of sense to me. so what i am going to do is buy a sleeping pill to help me sleep, and just take a 15mg of the mirtazapine at bed time  and see my doctor again on monday.
  • Posted

When I was on mirtazapine 15mgs I found it didn't make me sleepy but when I went to bed I fell into a more natural sleep and I slept through the night. Like others have said I took it at least an hour maybe 2 before I went to bed. It was the best sleep I had had for ages. I would love to go back on it for that reason but unfortunately I cannot for other reasons. It does make you dream a lot.
  • Posted

When I was on mirtazapine 15mgs I found it didn't make me sleepy but when I went to bed I fell into a more natural sleep and I slept through the night. Like others have said I took it at least an hour maybe 2 before I went to bed. It was the best sleep I had had for ages. I would love to go back on it for that reason but unfortunately I cannot for other reasons. It does make you dream a lot.
  • Posted

HimVixtoria

thismstuffmtakes up to 4 weeks to kick in.  You're best to go,back to the doctor as ou can get a 30. Mg and 45 mg dose but it's better if he prescribes it.  It may also be that it doesn't suit you and you need something else.

i'm on Mirtazapine but you may need be on Trasadne or another pill.  I hate to say it but it helps me to sleep but that's all it does as it's had no effect on the depression.

you mentioned Sleep MD.  What is that and can you buy t in Britain without a prescription?

• Posted

hi, Sleep MD is a sleeping pill yes, you do not need a perscription for it.
  • Posted

victoria

I started off with 15 mg of Mirt. and tapered up to 45 mg on a time table. I have epilepsy and take 2 meds, one cause’s insomnia and the other one cause’s depression. Mirt. worked great, I could sleep and had dreams for the first time in seven years. But it doesn’t work every night for me. My Dr. increased the dose of one of the seizure meds and it’s made Mirt less effective. Are you taking any other meds? When I don’t think I’ll sleep, I’ll also take 10 mg of Zolpidem (Ambien). I did that last night and only got 2 hours of sleep. I tossed and turned, my bed looks like it was a causality of war. I don’t make the mistake of looking at my bedside clock, it isn’t even set on the right time. I set an alarm on my cell phone for the time I want to get up. It’s also important to sleep in a dark room. I think it’s also helpful to cut the exposure of light before going to bed. I watch TV at night and will turn off all the lights an hour or two before turning in. I take the Mirt. about an hour before I go to bed. I keep a flashlight next to me so I don’t have to turn on any lights to find my way to the bed after I turn the TV off. If I don’t adjust to the increase dosage of one seizure med, I’m thinking of decreasing it to the previous level.

• Posted

thank you Steve

Its an extreme adjustment when I am listening and waiting for  my body and brain to tell me "yes Vic, this is good, you are doing the right thing and this is normal"

I am very questionable as to what i am putting into my body and this is the FIRST time I have ever taken anything for a mood disorder like depression, anxiety and insomnia . its friggin crazy if ya ask me. tho i will say that today I am on an extreme high, i feel really good inside , may not look the best on the outside but whatever, hahaha

I also am a mother of 6 kids. 3 live with me only, (other 3 with thier daddy) so that is a contributing factor to my mood as well.

not saying my kids cause me depression...that is a deep seed Ive had a long time. but being a mother I have always ignored myself and whats really going on in my brain. I am putting my faith in this drug Mirt* and am trusting all of y'alls feedback. I appreciate it so much!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.