new to Mirtazapine........ what can I expect?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Just some background.....  I have been signed off work for the last 6 months with depression.  I was prescribed Proxac, the dose of which was doubled after a few weeks, but I didn't find it helped with my anxiety.

A trip to Morrisons puts me in panic mode, I recently had to renew my passport at the Post Office and was sick on the way home as it caused me so much distress.

I stopped taking the Proxac cold turkey a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems.  I didn't feel and better or any worse.

I have now been prescribed 30mg Mitrazapine - my first tablet will be this evening.  However, I have read bad things about the side affects, I don't want to put on weight or feel any more down and sleepy than I already do.

Are there any positives to this medication - surely there must be!!!!

Advice greatly received.

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Clarkio has summed it up very well in my opinion. I started on 15mg, think 30mg to start with is quite high. Everybody is different, but for me it was the sedation and lack of motivation that did for me. I never went higher than 15mg. If you struggle with sleep it will definitely help, although it is LESS sedative the higher the dose.

I didn't put any weight on at all by the way. I think I would try it, it worked very quickly for me, but then started to level off and the constant tiredness got to me and now that off have lots more energy, and if get a bad day, then I get one, but I will get good ones as well.

People will only post if it's negative nine times out of ten, so if looking for positive on forum's it can be difficult. Just coz it hasn't worked for me, doesn't mean it won't for you. I won't go onto anything else, but it was worth the try, it might be just what you need but it might not, give it a go as it is one of most effective AD with regard to side effects, but all AD have some

• Posted

Thank you

That's the worry for me...... depression just makes me sit at my kitchen table doing this kind of thing....  I should be out, talking to people, interacting and making friends - I know that.  This was never ever me before.  I love talking to people, but can't seem to overcome my anxiety at the moment.  It will get better I know.

Have you tried other methods or are you able to get by on your own?

It's refreshing to hear that someone feels like I do, If you have a bad day just suck it in and deal with it.....  although I appreciate its not so easy for everyone to say that.

K

• Posted

I'm currnetly working through a book on Mindfullness at the moment called "Finding peace in a frantic world".  Haven't reached the end of it yet but it's certainly an interesting technique and certainly doesn't do any harm.

Essentially it's about trying to be in the moment and if you have bad thoughts being accepting/aware of them and compassionate towards yourself.  I'd recommend it and it certainly feels good to be trying something other than drugs as a possible longer term solution.

• Posted

Also have ued relaxtion apps/tracks by a guy called Andrew Johnson who I would recommend.  He has a very soft cotiish brogue which is very relaxing/reasuring to listen to.
    • Posted

Ha, cotish brogue.......  !

I do listen to rain sounds to try to get to sleep, I will have a look at the book you mentioned.

I do believe that being good to yourself is the start of the way forward.  After all if you dont love yourself then no one is going to love you.......

I'm off now.... but would be happy to talk to you off pieste katestewart at hotmail dot co dot uk.

do get in touch

k

• Posted

Know exactly what you mean Kate. I used to be full of life, did lots of things, but confidence has slipped away a massive amount, and anxiety can be brought about by simple things, but to an extent that's life I guess, and I think that if you are a caring sensitive person, the little things I life can upset you more.

I won't try anymore drugs, as I feel that at some point my old self will come back, as it does from time to time. Have tried counselling, but not sure that is for me, but there as a back up. I feel that for me, the situation has got to how it has, because I have let it, sometimes we do have a choice. Of course sometimes I accept we don't.

Just with the little bit you say Kate, I can tell that one way or another you will be fine which ever path you take

• Posted

Hi. I was prescribed Mirts for insomnia after being taken of Zopiclone sleeping tablets.  They didnt make me feel sleepy and theyn didnt increase my appetite.  In fact after one month or so, i didnt feel any different. I was not depressedn and shouldnt have been put on them.  I think you should try them and see if they work for you. With your levels of anxiety, its surely worth a try. Everyone of us reacts differently to drugs so give it a go.  If they dont work, then you can always move permanently to Rome!!
    • Posted

Thanks Viv - it certainly seems that Rome is the answer!!

I tried my first one last night - feel really woozy this morning..  Heaven help me if I had to start work at 8, I don't think I would have been much help!

Still unsure as to why I have been prescribed this medication as my main thing was anxiety rather than sleep problems.  Sleep I can do without, the ability to get general groceries if more of an issue to me...

So off we go to Italy, maybe the shopping is easier there ;@)

• Posted

Anxiety won't be eliminated by Mirta, believe me, it's a known fact. Interrupt it right away, this is my warmest advice.
  • Posted

Ha ha like it viv
    • Posted

There you go Mark..........  a quick foreign holiday will solve everything....

How silly am I ;@)

Quick pack your bags........

• Posted

Hi Kate.

I was on Mirtazapine for 2 years, 30mg.

It really helped me to get some sleep and it gave me some appetite. But it did not solve my depression/anxiety.

I think if you are able to sleep (pretty) well for the moment and you do not have any problems eating or weight loss, you should consider alternative therapy.

good luck!

• Posted

Are you still on mirta? Did it give you numb legs or burning sensations?
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking.....  do you have any tips on alternatives?

K

• Posted

Passion flower. Natural remedy: works wonders. It was given to soldiers during world war 2. It works
    • Posted

have been off since almost three months...

was/is pretty heavy coming off the medicine, but it is getting better now.

• Posted

I would advice to give yourself some time, taking enough rest...

avoid stress and if it is really not managable, I took some xanax, but not too much and only when needed because very addictive.

try Mindfulness, read some books about it, and be happy with whatever you have, life is too short to waste.

what I always kept in mind:

for every door that closes, there is another one that opens.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.