new to Mirtazapine........ what can I expect?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Just some background.....  I have been signed off work for the last 6 months with depression.  I was prescribed Proxac, the dose of which was doubled after a few weeks, but I didn't find it helped with my anxiety.

A trip to Morrisons puts me in panic mode, I recently had to renew my passport at the Post Office and was sick on the way home as it caused me so much distress.

I stopped taking the Proxac cold turkey a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems.  I didn't feel and better or any worse.

I have now been prescribed 30mg Mitrazapine - my first tablet will be this evening.  However, I have read bad things about the side affects, I don't want to put on weight or feel any more down and sleepy than I already do.

Are there any positives to this medication - surely there must be!!!!

Advice greatly received.

1 like, 57 replies

57 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Kate 

I was put on a combination of mirtazapine and quetiapine 4 months ago. I had really bad anxiety and didn't sleep for 8 weeks very well. The week before starting my meds I was getting one hour a night. I went to my GP who put me on ciltalapram this just made me worse. I then found a psychiatrist on line and went to see him who put me on mirtazapine. Before my meds I could go out and work was so hard. After 3 weeks I stopped the quetiapine and I felt so much better. I have my own business and things are good at the moment. As others have said you only seem to find bad reviews on here!! If you type in good reviews in to google you will find some. Yes it can make more hungry but you just need self discipline. I don't find it makes me more sleepy. I have a friend with bi polar and he has taken it for 10 years and it had helped him so much. Give it a try good luck

• Posted

By the way, as a remedy to sleep Mirta works on 7.5mg and 15mg. Something you are not told but you discover as time goes by on international med forums
    • Posted

Thank you Wizard.....  oooh if you have a friend with Bi Polar and he has been prescribed this medication - it sounds to me like its pretty heavy duty.

More so than Prozac do you think......  I just wish I understood the different effects and what defines how these things are prescribed.

K

• Posted

Hi Kate 

Mirtazpine Is meant to be one of the more gentle antidepressants. My friend was on 45 mg but now only takes 15mg. He is doing very well and works for me. He is thinking about coming off it soon. I have done a 5 k run today with 300 people so it can't be that bad!! 

• Posted

Agree with Wizard, Mirt is generally acknolwedged to have less start up side effcts than other AD's such as Citalopram, Prozac etc.  I was presecribed it because I had bad start up effects with Citalopram (despite having previously taken it with no problems).

Mirtazapine is prescribed for depression or anxiety it is occasionally used for insomnia due to it's sedative side effects but that is not the primary reason it is licensed for use.  Amitryptaline (a tri-cyclic) AD is also sometimes prescribed for insomnia for the same reasons but again is not it's primary purpose (or certainly wasn't initially).

generally I think some ADs are believed to be better for anxiety than others.  An SSRI is usually prescribed as the first apporoach by a GP (e.g. Citolpram, Sertaline or Prozac) but if they don't work or have bad side effects then other non SSRI ADs such as Mirtazapine or Venaflaxine often get tried.

I notice you said you took one and feel groggy today.  I would expect that, but your body should get a bit more used to it if you keep taking it.

All the best

• Posted

Goodness me....  that's very impressive.  If it could get me off my arse and do a 5K I would be very proud of myself.  Maybe it's worth a go, still wary though.

I'm glad your friend is feeling better.  It takes a lot to get over Bi Polar, I also have a friend who suffers, although she is more willing to wallow in it rather than fight.

What line of Business are you in?

K

• Posted

Thank you

I really try to do some more homework on the effects myself, however I find that it is really very confusing and it's very helpful to speak to other people who have been through the same thing.

I suppose at the end of the day I'm not a great pill taker, never have been - however, sometimes it is necessary yes?

K

• Posted

Agree Kate I am not a pill taker, but you seem to have the right mind set to be fine.

you will feel groggy on these to begin with, but hopefully this I'll wear off. It is less sedative the higher the dose

• Posted

There are positives to this medication Kate I have been on this for a number of years after a very serious breakdown.I am more stable than ever and I believe it has many benefits.The down side is drinking alcohol it does not mix .It has been the best anti depressant for me with minimal side affects the only one I do get is restless leg syndrome and that can be a pain particularly when I am getting to sleep .I hope this has helped but I am not a Dr so voice any concerns with your own GP.
    • Posted

When you started Mirt, how long did it take to work?  Was it a gradual process as I've been on 45mg fo 3 weeks now, having previously been on a lower dose which did nothing,  I have mainly anxiety and psychiatrist says it can take weeks before it reaches its full potential.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.