New to panic attacks won't go away

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello,

It all started three weeks ago when I thought I was having a heart attack at work, went to the er and was told I had a panic attack/anexity, I went to my gp and she told me to go to the cardiologist just to get checked out. Stress test was great all vitals good , went back to the gp and retired me to the neurologist haven't been seen yet. All blood work is normal had 5 ekg done all good . I've been to the Emergeny room now five times. I have these everyday now I can't find a reason for it , I can barely work sometimes I have to leave. My wife thinks I'm crazy, I don't know what to do , any random pain now and I think I'm dying. I need help I have an appointment with a therapist but have to wait a month to get in. I can't eat ice lost 20 pounds I have no love for life like I used too. This just started I feel wierd dizzy tight neck arm sometimes goes numb chest pains sometimes. I think I'm losing it. I think just writing this made me feel better .

1 like, 68 replies

68 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I want to add these are happening five time a day on average, I've never been in so much pain / fear in my life. I have to lay in bed and sometimes sleep for hours. I feel so fatigued it's crazy.

• Posted

You're experiencing many of the common symptoms of anxiety, and panic attacks, there's a vast array of symptoms. Who knows where the anxiety came from or what triggered it, but the chest pains certainly made it worse. Now that you're in fear so much, every little thing that feels off, or causes any ache, will make you think something horrible is happening. The strange thing is, is that thinking that way actually creates more anxiety, and causes more symptoms to freak out over.

Since you've had tests, and they came out fine, and you've had a doctor tell you that you had a panic attack, at your weakest moments try to remind yourself that there's nothing physically wrong. I know it's really hard to do, especially when it's new. I tend to have a conversation with myself in a stern manner. It goes something like this ...

Have you felt like this before?

Yes

Did it hurt you?

No

Did it kill you?

No

Then it won't this time either.

That's the nice version, but it helps me put things in perspective. The anxiety or panic attack doesn't fully stop, but it lessens a bit.

I sure hope you can get in to see a doctor sooner. In the meantime, keep checking out this forum. There's a lot of really nice people here, with great information, and lots of help.

• Posted

Thank you reading your article made me laugh and helped me through the current anxiety attack I am going through
  • Posted

Jeff, you are not alone, you are not crazy, you will be alright. You have come to the exact right place. I hear your desperation. Everyone on this forum, everyone of us, have been where you are, and all are coming through with the help and support of each other. Just today, we have heard from three people who were desperate a few weeks ago and are now here not just to be supported, but are now supporting others. i am one of those. i will write more in a little while, less than an hour, but I didn't want to let you wait any longer for contact in case you are watching your computer. Talk to you soon.

• Posted

I'm back. More than an hour because it's taken awhile to write this.You have heard from Psyched out...great info.

First, no one, not even your wife, family or friends, maybe even your current doctor is able to understand what anxiety does to people. It is something that cannot be understood unless you have been there!!! I was a counselor for 43 years and had no clue at all until a short time ago...IT came out of the blue and swept me into a horrible place I never knew existed.

After a week of being positive I was going insane, going to die, or have a stroke, not eating, not sleeping, not bathing I got myself to urgent care where I was seen by an older experienced doctor who, after ten minutes of observing my behavior (white and shaking all over) and listening to what I was experiencing (he knew my past behavior and demeaner, so he could see and hear the difference) he prescribed an anti anxiety med that I consider saved my life. I had thought vaguely that if the horror continued, I wasn't sure I could live with it.

Within a day, I felt a little relief and within a week, after upping the dosage, I was clear minded enough to start trying to help myself. I nor the doctor knew at the time that it was acute anxiety disorder. (He thought it was just a single attack, but thank god he spotted that it was anxiety.) In surfing the web, I landed here and confirmed what I had found out elsewhere...I knew then what it was, which in itself was a relief. Now at least I knew what I was dealing with.

Here, I found help, encouragement, caring and...information!!! How to help myself. Being retired, I now spend many hours every day and often into the night, passing it forward...which you will one day (sooner than you think) be able to do if you want.

I said all that to assure you that you are among the only people who really get it. There are multi millions of us around the world, many of whom are living full, happy regular lives. Others are still wondering if they are crazy, sick or should do away with themselves.

Anxiety disorder is pandemic. If it were a flu virus, authorities all over the world would be aware of it, and something would be being done. As it is, some medical people still think we are crazy, or even laugh and dismiss us, because the symptoms are so bizaare.

Many, many do the I'll go to the doctor and get this and that test...which come out fine, and then WE think we are crazy.

Here's the scoop. You need to get to a professional who treats or deals with anxiety, and get on the medication that will calm your mind so it stops telling your body it is hurting. (Those are just thoughts, by the way, not real.) There are physiological reasons why your mind and body are doing this, but that is for another time.

For now, if your own doctor will prescribe anti anxiety meds...great. If not, use that courage and determination I see In your message and go out and find him or her. There is the only thing I want you to focus on... I am actually fine, my mind and body just don't know it yet, so I am going to find the person who will prescribe what I need to get my life back and my hope back and my joy back. THAT is your focus, no matter what. Do that, come here for comfort and support and know all is well, all is well. Sending you a big hug, jeff. Cia

• Posted

After being diagnosed, I started therapy, but it didn't help. The first two were cold, not personable, hardly ever looked up from their paper, very "by the book" types. The third was the total opposite, and the best thing about her was that she experienced panic attacks, and could completely relate to what I was saying. Finally! A therapist that honestly understood! I enjoyed going to see her, and each time my trust grew more. For once I felt that I could actually open up to a therapist. Then came a letter stating that she was retiring. I never looked for another therapist again. I think having at least one panic attack or anxiety issue should be mandatory for all therapists, it makes them better at their jobs. lol

• Posted

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!! By the way, did you ever contact your old therapist for a referral? Whenever I moved, I contacted all my current clients and referred them to someone. One that I missed couldn't reach me and called my mother to find out where to find me so she could be sure I agreed that she had picked the right person. What a gal.lol

• Posted

And here you are sailing your own ship. Good on you, dear heart. You are an encouragement to us all. Sending you a big smoochie.smile

• Posted

you need to trust the opinions of the medics and move on with your life. You had a panic attack I think and now are worried about everything medical. I don't think it is your heart so try and get back to normal or they will have you on anti anxiety tablets next.

• Posted

Thank you all for your worlds of encouragement! I was on buspar but it isn't doing anything I called my doctor to try and get help, what's the difference in anexity and havering a nervous breakdown is that the same thing ?

• Posted

My doctor just out me on kolonopin should this help?
    • Posted

Hi Jeff,

I am on a low dose of Klonopin/clonazepam (how much are you taking?)and it is the only thing that helps me to get through the day with a bit of quality to my life. Once you are a bit  "settled" you will be able to try to follow everyone's good advice but for now rest up for awhile.

take care

Sx

• Posted

.5 twice day, I took my first pill about three hours ago and am feeling well I don't have any racing thoughts, when I feel a pain in not thinking about it so far today has been a good day. I found a therapist who helps treat this and hopefully can go next week. I also found out my wife's cousin suffers from this and we just had a really long good conversation about the whole thing. Just breathe

• Posted

Jeff, you are very fortunate in being on a med that is working, and in finding a therapist who treats this, (many don't) and are particularly very, very fortunate in having someone is the same boat right in your own family circle. Most do not have that incredible gift. Congrats, honey.wink

• Posted

Cia said it all....how lucky you are to be getting help and support so quickly.

Isn't it brilliant to talk to someone who has "been there, done that"

Most anti-anxiety meds work well but klonopin is gentler and lasts longer. Can be addictive but worry about that later. Enjoy the "peace" and get a few good nights sleep. Take supplements and drink lots of water.

take care, you too cia

Sxx

• Posted

Thanks, Sxx. Very good advice on meds. Many of us don't have to be concerned about addictive drugs, as we may be on them forever.....and who cares if they do the job, so we can have a life. I have come off a couple of drugs in the past. It took awhile, but if done slowly enough, no bad effects at all. Glad to see you here, darlin'.smile

• Posted

So I jus had my first little episode of the day I took my meds at 1 would it be ok to take another it says to take 2 a day how do you normally space these out ?
    • Posted

Jeff, good for you for asking this question rather than guessing. Not knowing the med, or what the doctor intended, I don't know. Can you call the pharmacy where you got the meds. They would be your best advisors here. I have contacted my pharmacist many times with questions about meds. Let me know right away if this works our, luv

• Posted

Thanks for the great advice I didn't even think about that they said waiting at least 4 hours was sufficient

• Posted

You are very welcome, Jeff. Good for you for such fast action. smile

• Posted

It was my first time having a mini attack like under 15 min long usually they have been lasting what seems like hours. I tried breathing but that little voice in my mind told me something was wrong. How does one normally coupe with such a thing ? Or I should say how do all of you do it is there something you think about or count or something. I tried breathing and saying relax.
    • Posted

Jeff, this happens to most of us....all the time. Remember that little voice is not your friend. Everyone has their own way of dealing with these mini attacks.

I tell the voice, "Oh no you don't, you are not real, so shut up and get lost." I say that out loud..then I focus on something else I enjoy. (some days I do that many, many times.

Some people do something physical, some something artistic and some, like me. something mental...usually coming here. Whatever cranks your crank.smile

• Posted

Thank you so much you have been so helpful if you where in Ohio I would give you a big hug
    • Posted

I wrote a post yesterday intended for you Jeff, sent it to cia and it got removed. I think because I cut and pasted some information about breathing exercises..

Not a good day today, don't like the weekends at all.

hope tomorrow is better.

How are you doing with the Klonopin/clonazepam? It is a slow/long working med. but give it time and it will help you.

take care

Sxx

• Posted

So far it has really helped, I feel normal again I can play with my kids and enjoy time with my wife. I laughed for the first time in weeks I ate more than I have in weeks. But I still have had attacks but they have only lasted under ten minutes, and I kind of understand what's going on and breathe and try to go clean or pick up toys. I still kind of feel weird when I'm alone the racing thoughts sometimes creep in. But I feel like the eclipse has been lifted and I can see the light.

• Posted

Also, thanks for asking if anyone needs to talk I'm here. I'm new but I will listen. I think this forum has helped me tremendously so far.

• Posted

It can get so confusing here, that I am convinced that one day, one of us is going to post themselves.............and answer!eek

• Posted

Hooray for you, Jeff. I, too have times I need to stop and breath or change my focus, or whatever it takes to get past the mental beast. Sounds like you have taken your life back from that beast.

Will we now see you here to help others? And of couse, like the rest of us ,to get a boost when needed.biggrin

• Posted

Right now I'm just trying to say if my chest hurts for a second its not real your cardiologist told you so that's seems like it's going to be long process. Any pain that is

• Posted

Also when does the dizziness eventually go away? Is anyone on a anti depressants or something that has helped instead of being on benzos
    • Posted

My med is not a benzo. However, if I do stop, I will still need to wean off if that is your concern. Drugs are not my field, but with all the anxiety meds abailable there has to be more.

I do not recommend mine unless the person also has high blood pressre, as i do. My med handles both. Jeff, I would ask your pharmacisr this question They are the drug experts! I ask mine about all my drug questions. As long as you are not asking tham to recommend one, they will answer you, Hope this helps, Jeffconfused

• Posted

I was wrong, it is above.eek

• Posted

Ok, I was wondering is people are prescribed like Zoloft or something that kicks in after awhile and then you can stop the kolnopins
    • Posted

Hopefully, someone has the answer to that. I know nothing of either, Jeff. Sorry. neutral Perhaps the prescribing doctor is the one to ask?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.