New to Polymyalgia

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia yesterday and im now on a lot of steriods.just wanted to know what im in for really. im in the rare group as im 36

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Ooooh - where did you find such a broad-minded rheumatologist? We'd like to meet them!

Tell us a bit more - like current dose and how long it took for a diagnosis, your response to pred., and country where you live, have you children, do your work and what sort of work? Then we may be able to provide some more targeted information for you

Basically - you start at a dose of pred that should be plenty to combat the existing stored up level of inflammation and then, after a few weeks, you will start to reduce or, more accurately, taper the dose to find the lowest dose that manages the symptoms as well as the starting dose did. If your blood markers were raised the doctor should be looking to see they are falling, preferably have fallen to normal levels before you start to taper the dose. This must be done slowly - never more than 10% of the current dose at a time because everyone is different and it is easy to overshoot the dose you need, especially in the first year to 18 months. The pred has cured nothing, it is managing the symptoms to improve your quality of life until the autoimmune part of PMR burns out and goes into remission - which for the majority of patients it does eventually, A few people manage to get off pred in months but are thought to have a greater chance of relapse, others require a low dose of pred for a long time. There is no way of forecasting which end od the spectrum you are going to be. But PMR is a very heterogeneous illness - no two people are the same in many respects.

Just because you feel better after taking some pred don't make the mistake of thinking you are cured - and don't rush into doing all the things you haven't been able to do for however long. Your muscles are still being attacked by the effects of the underlying autoimmune disorder and are intolerant of acute exercise - it doesn't mean you have to stop altogether but it does mean you have to adapt and build up the amount you do slowly and carefully. Living with chronic illness means a new normal - but there are ways around most things! This link on another forum may help you understand what I mean and suggest some ways of going about it:

https://healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk/posts/135650532/fatigue-pacing-spoons-and-a-gorilla...

The best way to get info about the future though is to ask a specific question - someone will have been there before.

• Posted

I'm afraid the statement you made is not correct: 'Your muscles are still being attacked by the effects of the underlying autoimmune disorder and are intolerant of acute exercise - it doesn't mean you have to stop altogether but it does mean you have to adapt and build up the amount you do slowly and carefully'. research has shown that the muscles are NOT attacked, just that the joints become inflamed - once the inflammation has been reduced and you do not feel stiff as a result, there is no reason you cannot exercise as before - infact it is beneficial both mentally and physically. Personally i found this and in-fact performed just as well after going on Pred.

Everyone is different, but i would say if you feel Ok during and after your normal exercise, then don't slow down just because someone else says you should.

• Posted

I find your post very interesting. I have had PMR twice with a five year "clear" spell in between. First time my experience was as you say. Pain gone, and I really mean gone, within four hours so I just went back to my very active life; animals, very large garden, no paid help. My reductions were pretty straightforward, just had to up the dose two or three times before continuing reductions and down to nil in three years. My GP started me on 30 mgs.

Second bout the same GP said he would treat the PMR " less aggressively" this time. I did not ask why but I certainly would now. Not such a dramatic relief this time and far more glitches and many more side effects. High BP, chronic weariness, disturbed sleep which was alleviated by taking my Pred. at night at doctor's suggestion which was regarded as unorthodox at the time, desperate muscle weakness. It was five years before I reached zero Pred. That was six years ago.

It seems to me that correct and incorrect seldom apply in PMR.

• Posted

I'm sure you will find this interesting then:

http://www.jrheum.org/content/46/12/1552

And when you have had as much experience of PMR and exercise intolerance as a result as some of the people on this forum you may change your tune. YOU may be able to do things - the vast majority of others can't or require a long build up of training to get back to where they were previously.

As you so rightly say, everyone is different, and every episode of PMR is different even in the same person as Betty pointed out, It pays for the majority of patients to take it very gently at first. A few weeks of reduced activity while you assess where you are may prevent many months of difficulty later. Men often have a very different experience of PMR from women and there are probably at least 4 or 5 different versions of PMR on top.

The comments I made are not only based on the medical background of PMR which are being clarified all the time but also more than 10 years of hearing stories from hundreds of PMR patients on forums. It may be too late when you have overdone it.

• Posted

I think context is important. I was able to return to daily activity right after pred took away my pain. I did not at that time experience fatigue. I started walking more and was able to do things like mow the lawn (push mower) vacuum, without problems. I was also able to do my yoga and physio exercises again, which had become so difficult in the previous months. I was, as you can tell, coming not from a place of great strength or fitness. just normal everyday fitness of a moderately active woman. However I found as the next couple of years went by, despite doing all this activity, indeed more as I took up Nordic walking, Tai chi, wearing a weighted walking vest, I lost a lot of my strength and for a few months at about the 4 mg level I felt as though I was trying to walk through water my legs were so heavy and almost non-responsive. I still carried on, but I had to stop doing a few things, like push-ups, because I injured my shoulder. So, you see, it wasn't straightforward for me although I would guess at the outset I would have been on the fitter side of sixty-five year old+ females who develop PMR.

Yes I agree we should do what we can, and it's good to encourage people to be active because exercise is helpful. But what we can do may no longer be what we could do even a few months ago. Btw now that my pred dose is approaching a fraction I've started doing the push-ups again, my shoulder is healing. But I still don't have much stamina and maybe increased age is the reason for that. All the while we are ill we are also ageing, and unfortunately at a faster rate than if we'd stayed perfectly healthy. I find that a depressing thought but I do what I can, have always tried to do what I could to stay healthy and fit. Even these days when I feel relatively decrepit people still tell me they're impressed with how active I am, how fast I walk, etc.! So, it's all relative. But we do need to be careful not to make people feel any worse about themselves if they can't achieve their former level.

• Posted

i live in warwickshire, england, i have two children, im a single mum and im having another blood test next week to see if my inflamation markers have changed and my dr diagnosed me. she did several tests as well as a blood test. ive had the pain and stiffness for over a year now. but i was working fulltime then so put it all down to that. im awaiting a letter to go and see a rheumatologist. i have a parent with fibromyalgia and im also diabetic and suffer from anxiety due to domestic abuse marriage i was in. my doctor has said if im in pain still i can stay on my current dose for longer. i was diagnosed yesterday.

• Posted

your so right. i havent told many people about my diagnosis as im 36 and dont need people being negative or telling me i cant have this as im too young. Also im a little embarrased because i cant walk as fast or do as much as i used too and i dont want people giving me pity because of it. i juat want to live my.life and do as much as i possibly can. we have three small breed dogs and today i tried walking them together as usual, except i tripped over the leads like a wally. So that was great lol. Anyways im glad your still able to walk even tho you feel a little slower. we have to keep going at our pace. x

• Posted

Poor you, it is difficult enough just coping yourself but to have children to look after whenyou are having difficulty doing things is dreadful.

I was diagnosed in September and i am still taking 17 mg predisolone a day.

i am back to doing things again but the not sleeping is really getting to me.

i was interested to read one person on this forum say they were taking meds at night. i was told not to. i have to get out of bed early before the stiffness sets in.

Maybe i should try taking meds at night. i thought steroids kept you awake.

• Posted

ive been taking mine in the morning with breakfast and yes the being awake at night is horrendous. where are you from? im in warwickshire england.

• Posted

It depends on the person - but often if you take the pred before bed it isn't into your system until after you get to sleep.

• Posted

Maybe there is support groups fairly near to you? It always helps to talk to others in the same boat - although there won't be many your age, there are some people in their 40s around:

http://www.pmrgca.co.uk/groups/

• Posted

theres one in a city nr me and i got in touch but heared nothing back tbh but thanks tho

• Posted

West Sussex. We could have a party each night if we lived closer .

i am fed up with being awake at 2.30 am!

• Posted

Where in West Sussex - someone on another forum is near Chichester I think and she spends half the night on the forum! You could start a PMR insomniacs united group 😉

• Posted

i feel the same way. although i dont currently work i have to get my seven and nine year old kids up for school during the week and i cant sleep between school hours because im so worried ill over sleep and miss the school run. my kids dad isnt allowed near us due to domestic abuse, so its just the three of us 24/7

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.