New to Polymyalgia

Posted , 14 users are following.

I was diagnosed with polymyalgia yesterday and im now on a lot of steriods.just wanted to know what im in for really. im in the rare group as im 36

0 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Claire, Sorry to welcome you to our group. I been on my PMR journey for 3.5 years, this forum is a God sent. The knowledge, help and understanding of a group of people with your condition is priceless. My advice take enough Prednisone to be PMR pain free, never, never reduce your dosage if you have PMR pain, stay positive, active and try to smile it helps. 🙂

• Posted

thank you michdonn, im on my third day of 30mg, five mg per tablet and although i do feel a little relief today my shoulders and arms are still really bad. im not currently working ad i went off sock last year and was let go by my company in september. in hindsight its a good thing because now i can concentrate on getting better. silly question but will pmr ever go away or is it for life?

• Posted

For most people PMR does go into remission - doesn't mean you are cured, the possibility that the autoimmune part will restart is always there with autoimmune disorders of all sorts, but you are symptom-free even without pred and a relapse is not that common, I know 3 or 4 out of hundreds of patients who are on the forums.

About 1 in 5 patients is able to get off pred in a year or less, by 2 years just over a third are off pred. Then the time starts to stretch a bit and it seems quite a few manage it after 4 or 5 years. But at 10 years about 40% are still on a low dose of pred - but some of them may be on pred because of other problems, such as poor return of adrenal function.

• Posted

Hi Claire, if we are lucky it goes into remission. The key is to control the inflammation till your body no longer needs or needs very little steroid to control PMR what ever is! I was on 30mg for 6 weeks, the last two of which I was PMR pain free. It take time do yourself a favor do not rush. It may seem like a long time, but probably will be less time and Preds than if you had rushed. Get PMR pain free before think of tapering.

Good luck again on your PMR journey

🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.