New to prozac

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I am on my fifth week. I am pretty sure they are working as afternoons seem much better but I have had nausea, dizziness and panic most mornings. Drag myself into work then it gradually gets better. Is this normal for 5 weeks. Not sure if the nausea and dizziness is due to anxiety as it was before I started Prozac or if it’s a side effect. I also get a horrible pressure in my head!  I’m too scared to give up on them but desperately hoping I will feel better soon. Can anyone advise please. Thanks 

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am in to my 5th weeks and feel bad with anxiety and generally poor. There are a few good spots but very few.  

I don’t think think this is unusual. 

Stay active and engaged if you can. I don’t take my own advice but feel better when I do. 

Hang in there; it’s early. 

• Posted

Thanks Nancy good to know that it will pass. Have first day back at gym tomorrow and will make myself go. You hang on in there. Thanks for replying 
  • Posted

Hi caz,

I’m on my beg of my 6th week and I have all those same symptoms. Hard to find people that do. Not that I want you to but know your not alone. I would suggest staying on Prozac it’s one of the best and safest drugs but it’s slow moving and causes all terrible side effects before it starts working. I’m currentky on medical leave but I’ll have to go back to work. But I’m scared I won’t feel well in time. But I’m not gonna stop prozac but I do need to get to the bottom of my dizziness. Anyway we’re here for you and In it together 

• Posted

Thanks Tina that really helps. I will continue on it as I know it works for most it’s just the dizziness that scares me. Keep in touch we will be ok! 
    • Posted

Tina, the first time I took Prozac I was working and everyday was full. This time I am not working and have all day to languish in bed. I had a great e cperience the first time.; not so this time. Stay busy and I’ll try to a better job of taking my own advice. 
  • Posted

Hi Caz, what you are describing does sound like side effects. You are still pretty early in on the meds. It can take 6-12 weeks sometimes to see some benefits. But it's a good sign it's easing during the day. Mornings do tend to be the worst but that will ease. This drug is very slow to settle in your system so patience is important. Rest when you can, go for walks, do puzzles, knitting whatever you can to positively occupy your mind. Chat here if you need support or to vent. This is a great place. The people here have helped me immensely.

Take care and big hugs. ??👍

• Posted

Thanks so much so glad I joined this forum. Was panicking as the medication leaflet said mild side effects.... not feeling mild at all! 
    • Posted

Not sure why doctors don’t tell people anymore. When I took prozac the first time everybody warned me the side effects would be herrrendous and it would take 2 months. Now they don’t want to say anything. Probably as to not scare people but honestly knowing is half the battle at least you know what your in for. It’s a hard road. But hoping they kick in as I’m not stopping them. 
    • Posted

No the doctors and most of the information you read doesn't really tell you the extent of the side effects or how to cope with them. This site is awesome for info and support. You will get through this and come out the other side feeling better. Hold on hon. ????👍👍

• Posted

Same here Tina.  I’m on 40 for 7 days, almost 3 weeks total, still bad anxiety.  I switched in week 6 from Zoloft, so technically starting week 8 in total, not sure if it works like that.  I didn’t have side effects at first on Prozac, then they came after a week. Dr won’t give me Xanax.  I’m trying Buspar and that’s more side effects.  I am staying strong like you are.💕

• Posted

Hi Stacey,

Somyou feel prozac is better for you? Good.

Why won’t he prescribe Xanax??

• Posted

The side effects aren’t as bad.  On the Zoloft I could not sit down, the anxiety was so bad.  It isn’t as bad on the Prozac.  I’m not sure if it’s because I took the Zoloft for over 5 weeks, but as soon as I stopped it the anxiety went way down.  Then I started the Prozac about 4 days later.  At first I didn’t notice increased anxiety, but within a week I got more anxiety.  I think that is actually a good sign that it’s going to work, but it is hard to get through.  Right now I’m feeling a little better.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.  My Dr is worried about addiction for the Xanax.  I’ve had it 2 other times from other Dr’s and didn’t get addicted, but he wants me to try to ride out the anxiety.  The funny thing is I didn’t have this anxiety until I started taking antidepressants, so hopefully it would go down eventually and I wouldn’t need the Xanax.
    • Posted

Good hopefully the Prozac is going to get in there and do it’s job for us. Ever since I started to not feel good a month and a half ago I started taking Xanax everyday. Same thing happened last time and I eventually got off it. But for now I don’t even care. My panic gets pretty bad and sometimes tea, meditation and anything won’t stop it. My panic causes me to shake and get nauseous. So in goes the Xanax 1-3 times a day for now. When I’m havjnf a good day I force myself to go without it. Really All benzos are addictive cuz it gives instant gratification. For now I will do whatever I need to do. I also was deficient in vitamin D So I ordered D and B and OMEGA.  So we’ll see. Fingers crossed . Glad we all have each other smile
    • Posted

Yes I would take it as needed.  I had it 2 other times and didn’t get addicted.
    • Posted

Hi Tina, I know what you mean. I'm back to taking clonazepam till I start to settle again. I'll ease off slowly when I'm ready to. I'm 53 so I take a multi vitamin, B complex and omegas. I'm not a good eater but especially so with this anxiety and nausea. I get the shakes as well. Ugh

• Posted

Good job Laurie taking your vitamins! I️ am trying to take more. How long after your medicine do you take vitamins? Yah feel like since I upped the dose my apetite is gone again.  It’s a grueling process. 
    • Posted

Hi Tina, sorry for taking so long to reply. I had a major blip after Christmas. It thankfully passing. I hope you had a good Christmas and New Years. 

I usually wait a couple of hours after taking my meds before taking my vitamins.  

Big Hugs

• Posted

Hey laure,

Me to. The holidays was rally hard on me. It took me s while to recover and I’m stilk struggling eith my snxiety snd physical symptoms. Week 7 for me. Upped the dose last week. Which vitamins do you take? 

• Posted

Ah honey I'm sorry. It will get better. 👍💪. I take a woman's multi vitamin, a B complex and omega. Let me know how you are doing with upping the Prozac. I'm here for you. 

Big hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.