New to Sertraline with migraine

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi

I've been reading with interest. I've only been taking for 2 days & been up since 4am with migraine/sickness. I've been prescribed 50mg. I'm thinking of halving the dose for a few days. I don't think I can be this rough long term. I thought I'd got a bug but it's the pills!

I have low mood and mood swings and have done for as long as I can remember. I've not had any medicine in about 3 years.

Don't think halving will be problem for me has anyone else done this to help with headaches & nausea?

Couldn't face pill today will try tonight. Never had anything alter my perception so quickly.

Thanks for any help.

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey,

If your getting these side affects you have 2 simple options.

Either persist with what your doctor has advised and maybe you will get better as time goes or on

or

To be safe, go and see your Doctor again and discuss your issues with him/her as this medication may not suit you and you may need to try another.

If you want to cut the does to half, I would suggest calling your doctor anyway and just run it by them first.

• Posted

i agree with HotMart, don't think you should just stop taking your pills, it can cause all sorts of problems for you even though you've only been on them a few days. i have been on 50mg also, for 6 weeks now, i've just been increased to 100mg but i did suffer migranes and a bit of sickness but i just put myself to bed with the migranes and battled through. speak with your doctor before you make a rash decision :-)
  • Posted

Thanks to both of you, some stuff I'm reading is pretty scary but everyone is individual.

I asked to go on it as my mum takes it and working really well for her with no side effects. I think I'd probably be ok without it just was getting fed up of being depressed on and off for so long. I don't know dr well as just moved and I saw a locum. Think I will do halves over weekend and speak to dr Monday.

If you know a good painkiller for headaches let me know as paracetamol doesn't work! I have a 2yr old so need to be on form best as I can every day.

Jx

• Posted

Hi Julia. I use immigran (sumatriptan) for my migraines. You need to take it as soon as you feel the first symptoms. It's only available on prescription. If you miss the boat with the sumatriptan then you'd need to take cocodamol or ibuprofen. I always find a cup of tea and a dark room, with a cold flannel on the back of my neck to be a comfort too. Hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs, Gabrielle x

• Posted

Hey

My dad is a gp which is handy and he said stay away from triptans with Sertraline ....cocodomol is ok ... this is tricky as I took sumitriptan for years before I got anxiety 😳

• Posted

I know where he's coming from...seratonin syndrome..:which can be dangerous. I took it when I'm escitalopram. Haven't need med to take it whilst on sertraline yet but I know my sister uses it all the time. My in laws are pharmacists and says the only one that you shouldn't use and that's immigran recovery...must be something to do with ththe delivery mechanism. I wish I didn't have to use any medication but like you, sometimes it's necessary. 

• Posted

Hi. I had read about sertraline and sumatriptan interaction. I phoned my gp and he said it was fine for me to take both. Maybe because my dosage is fairly low? 
  • Posted

My wife a is a Pharmacist dispenser,

I have asked her about this and she says as you have kids to keep in check you can take 1 x Co_Codamol four times a day or you can take Ibuprofen 400mg one tablet up to three times a day.

You can get these from pharmacy but not supermarkets.

• Posted

Hi, I'm 47 and have suffered form depression and extreme social phobia since my late teens/early twenties.

In october last year I was put on 50mg/day of sertraline. I became very disorientated, anxious and didn't want to leave the house at all. Because of this I stopped taking it and soon returned to my usual anxious state of mind.

After speaking with my psychiatrist in January of this year I decided to go back on to Sertraline but this time using only 25mg/day - to do this I had to snap the 50mg pill in half, which is easy to do. But by doing this I found I could better cope with the drug without any massive side-effects. From here I had a safe platform for building the dose every week or two by 25mg (and later 50mg) increments without causing any of those initial nasty side-effects.

For me this drug is now working, and working better than I'd hoped for - so far, at least.

This has been my personal experience of Sertraline. Should you adopt the same strategy the outcome might be different. Good luck fellow sufferer, whatever you choose!

• Posted

Thanks so much I think I saw that you mentioned having half that gave me idea I had half last night and feel really good today. It's early days but will see how I get on.

I have ibuprofen on hand now too in case I get another migraine, thanks hotmart. It's weird that I'm completely off alcohol too. I would always have/need a glass of wine after my son goes to bed now I just don't want it.

I hope to able to post a positive outcome once been on it a while to help others too.

• Posted

Hi julia i dont know how long you posted that discussion about migraines and depression and taking sertraline, before i make a complete fool of myself, i have only just joined, so if you still belong to this could you let me know so i can ask you a few questions and tell you a little bit about myself, your life is very much like  mine, kind regards jaybabes
  • Posted

hi julia09021,

i too suffered from sever migranes within the first few weeks of taking sertraline, i was on 50mg for 5 weeks and on friday was increased to 100mg as it wasn't doing anything for my depression and anxiety at all so rang my doctor and she agreed i needed to go up with my dosage......so time will tell. day 3 of 100mg and i've got a headache now, it's not crippling me, if it gets worse, i will take some co-codamol.

i'm tired of feeling okay and my normal self one minute and then in the blink of an eye in tears and really down and depressed. i've lost about 3/4 of a stone over all on these tablets, but i am watching what i eat anyway so can't be sure if it's the meds that's making me lose so rapidly but i'm not complaining about that whatsoever!! usually when i lose weight i feel great, that's how i know i'm not right, i just feel okay, not elated about it like i should be so i'm hoping in the coming week, that the 100mg will kick in and i can say goodbye to my depression and anxiety but who knows, you've just got to keep going and keep thinking positively and reminding yourself that the dips won't last forever even though at the time, you feel like you're never coming out the other side or you're ever going to get better. you are not alone, none of us are and it's a relief to be able to speak to you and others about our experiences, as my boyfriend is great, but really, he's confused and doesn't really know the ins and outs of it. he does his best to make me feel better and i feel terrible as we've only been living together 6 months and this has decided to happen but tomorrow is another day :-) thanks for listening all of you :-)

• Posted

Hi i have only just joined this forum yesterday and i know you posted this 4yrs ago but it was like reading my own life story except i have a lot more illnesses, but migraines and depression is the biggest part of them , before i go on do you still belong to this forum , i would love to hear from you and know how your getting on jay 
  • Posted

I know that feeling Gingemac I sometimes think I've ruined my partners life when I've been like this but he's still with me and when I'm good it must make up for it, I forget what it's like when I feel bad until I feel bad again. I overthink and analyse too much, used to think being a perfectionist was good thing but it's awful I'm trying to relax & not be bothered! Since taking Sertraline I haven't felt low just bit irritable today felt might slip so I've had 50mg as been on 25mg for few days and hoping I won't suffer too much for it.

I hope you're coping on 100mg I'm eating regularly to combat any headache/sick feelings. I'm keeping a diary on how I feel each day whilst taking it too.

My mum was very ill with depression when I was teenager, it was hard for me seeing her in hospital, was long time ago and thankfully she's much better now but I can't forget it. Im really trying to stay in control of my life.

• Posted

morning julia,

i have terrible paranoia that he's going to be leaving me soon, or he's looking elsewhere because of my depression. that he's plotting some getaway somehow. when we first met i didn't have this and we moved in together pretty soon after, 6 months after, it's been a bit of a roller coaster for us, getting to know each other more and each others habits etc, resolving issues and arguments etc, that's what's started this off and now whenever we fall out, i go to pieces and end up lower than ever, i just hate arguing with him. when i'm fine, we get on so well and we have a right laugh together, he's my best friend. when i'm down it's like i switch myself off and i'm totally different and almost on a different planet, so that's got to be hard for him to cope with right??

i too analyse things that have been said and things that have been done and then the anxiety kicks in and i just end up beside myself and i can't concentrate at work, i'm really low and can't even crack a smile, which isn't like me at all, i'm usually a very smiley person and happy most of the time. i know everyone has their down days but nothing like this. however, yesterday and today i haven't been bad, we had a good chat about it last night and we are both going to be trying harder with each other as i said, i need to get better, it's not an option, i don't want to be on antidepressants forever!!

i'm on 100mg of sertraline and it will be 1 week tomorrow since i started taking the 100mg, before that i was on 50mg for 6 weeks, didn't do a thing and i was still very low and anxious.

have a good day yourself and feel free to vent away, i just did!! helps alot :-)

• Posted

Hi gingemac

It’s been a long time but how did it pan out ? I’m where you hopefully we’re .(not now)... it’s made me think my marriage is on the rocks and my wife is more interested in everything else sad she doesn’t understand it so feel alone somedays in dealing with it ... can’t even have fun with kids as most days my moods is low which makes me quiet ... hope you got through it !!!!! 

• Posted

Keep your head up mate.

How long have you been on the tablets?

Things get worse before they get better when starting out.

Your brain will create problems that aren't there.

Lewis

• Posted

Hi Lewis 

Thanks for the positive words. The amount of times I’ve been worried and thought afterwards “what the hell was I worrying about” is endless ! Doesn’t stop it happening again though :s 

I’ve been on 50mg Sert for 3 weeks and a few days so early days.... 

• Posted

Yeah very early!

Keep up with the tablets & do your best to continue with your life.

I find this is the best method to getting back to feeling normal.

Try going for a run/brisk walk when feeling bad to get rid of any unwanted adrenaline.

A funny one that I haven't tried yet is having a cold shower instead of hot, apparently it builds up mental strength to help you cope. Not sure about that in this weather though haha!

Hope you're feeling better soon mate and remember you're not alone!

• Posted

Yeah I do continue trying to be normal  - not had anytime off work and my jobs pretty high pressure - I’m lucky enough I can work my own diary ! Apart from that, my kids are 2 and 4 so no time for anything else... I have to admit nothing I’ve tried really makes me feel better just got to ride each day as it comes 

• Posted

Yeah I do continue trying to be normal  - not had anytime off work and my jobs pretty high pressure - I’m lucky enough I can work my own diary ! Apart from that, my kids are 2 and 4 so no time for anything else... I have to admit nothing I’ve tried really makes me feel better just got to ride each day as it comes 

• Posted

• Posted

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.