New to site.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have lichen planus for the last two years. On the skin mostly on ankles and backside area. Very trying. Does anyone have any success in coping with this horrible disease. Very emotionally draining. Family thinks its no big deal. They don't know the pain and the feeling of your own body attacking itself. Sometimes it feels like my skin is crawling.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi iv had it for about 17or18yrs I used dermovate ointment on my skin and took antyestamin tablets ,took about 6months to clear up left me with a brown scaring on my skin ,but over the years it's gone back to normal ,I suffer more with it in my mouth ,that is so painfull ,but stress brings it on more than anything else ,try not to stress out ,good luck ,try the dermovate & antyestamin it should stop the itching ,
  • Posted

Hi Anthony, Thats exactly where I get it most.  I've had bad bouts of it off and on for 20 years.  Stress seems to make it worse for me.  The only thing I've found that makes it go away for long spells, in all that time ive had it is sun light, or sunbeds.  So get your shorts on, if you had as bad as me don't be self conscous of people looking.  Its their problem.  In the meantime to stop the unbarable skin crawling itchiness, try benadryl Allergy Relief (acrivastine) capsules.  Oh and a silly as this might sound, i've found a postive happy attutiude / outlook helps.  Which might sound hard, as I know it can get you down.  All of the above has worked for me, I only get the odd little flare up now again.  I hope this helps and good luck
  • Posted

I have come on here several times to respond. The reason why is because like you, I felt helpless and received warming support. The thing is, I read so much when it first hit me I can't honestly say where I read the information I will share. I know it was from other suffers but what blog I do not recall.  My two cents worth is this....Go to the ocean. Go to the beach and enjoy the water until your fingers are getting wrinkles. Let your skin soak in all that the water offers.  I can not tell you why. Is it the stress relief? Maybe. Is it the sea salt? don't know? Is it microorganisms attacking that the the body fights them and not ourselves? your guess is as good as mine. I do know that when I go, I go several days in a row and linger in the water for a few hours. Usually at dusk so as not to burn.  My offer of help has met with some bad responses.  One person suggested I was basically saying to stand in the shower for prolonged time spans. I am sorry if they don’t get mt message.  My message is to try this. It came from a woman who said she did this and it worked for her. I tried it. It help immensely.   Another blog I read suggested that bananas were a trigger for some people. The curious thing is I feel that too may be true for me. Maybe not you though. So little is known. I do stay away from bananas now. I live in central Florida in the US. Water quality is what it is where ever you are. The lady I mentioned said she went to Costa Rica for vacation. Who knows why this has helped us. I think it is related to the sea due to the “live soup” that it is. If you look under a microscope at all that goes on in one drop of ocean water, you would be hard pressed to state where the benefits are originating from. For me,…who cares! I go to the beach…It helps a lot.  I hope this helps you and whomever else has taken the time to read it. 
    • Posted

I second that Bob....  Although I think its something to do with getting some sun on your skin, as well as the sea and relaxation of a holiday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.