New to the SVT world

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

So, I have been having sporadic palpitations/flutter in chest for about 3 years now. In the beginning it would occur once in a blue moon like I would feel a hard flutter and nothing else. When they started happening I went to a cardiologist who did a stress test, holter monitor, and echo cardiogram, which found nothing. As the years went on, they seemed to get worse and about a year an half ago, my heart started racing after these palpitations/flutters. The racing never lasted long and never went above 130. After my heart rate came down, I'd usually have to deal with my heart pounding and feeling irregular for a few hours, then it would go back to normal. I was referred to an EP cardiologist, who suggested an implanted loop recorder, since the holter monitors were not picking up anything do to the sporadic nature of my episodes. Long story short, after a year and a half at this particular hospital, no one could tell me exactly what was going on, even though I had recorded episodes. My episodes seemed to increase in frequency the more I exercised strenuously. I finally had enough after a particular bout of episodes and decided to get a second opinion from another EP doctor. I brought my recent recordings with me to the appointment and he took one look at them and told me I have SVT-AVNRT. I was relieved to finally have an answer but he told me that he suggested an EP study with ablation for treatment as opposed to taking drugs. I was a little apprehensive about going straight to ablation due to my fears (I've never had any type of invasive surgery before), but with my current job in law enforcement, dealing with the side effects of drugs may not be good. I decided to think about it while he agreed to do another stress test and echo cardiogram to rule any thing else out. I haven't been exercising since the last big episode a few months ago but now the episodes have recently started even though I am not exercising. Yesterday I was have a series of palpitations/flutters throughout the day and woke up at 2am to my heart racing at 165. It only lasted about 5 minutes and went below 100. I didn't go to work today because I was afraid of another episode but have still been dealing with the palpitations/flutters on and off today. So far, it hasn't tripped into a racing heart rate.

So, after that long explanation (sorry), I am wondering if ablation is the way to go. Looking for anyones feed back as to ablation vs. drugs. I am a 44 year old female in good health. My family (mother's side) has a history of heart issues, including afib and SVT's but none of them have ever had ablations. Interested in hearing from people who have had ablations and what they went through. Also, anyone ever get SVT's from exercising or is it just me? lol.

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I tried medication to start with, and the side effects were crippling , I suffered no ill effects with my Svt, other than than they were frequent, nearly always at work and my heart rate was always 180bpm+ so high, so my cardiologist decided on an ablation was the best option.. i went with the ablation, it was a walk in the park, just chilled out of a table for 1hr 40mins.. but afterwards I often get a lot of eptopic beats/ flutters that come and go as you please.

Now this isnt directly helpful, but what i would suggest is to at least try the medication ( i hated every second of beta blockers) so i know my situation currently is the lesser of two evils.. i would recommend at least testing the waters.

i hope this helps a little.

• Posted

Thank you, it helped a lot. That is what I am debating and my doctor is willing to do what ever I want. My spouse is pushing for me to have th ablation so I don't have to deal with the drugs but I am worried about the side effects (like you said, the eptoic beats/flutters). I mean, I think I'm dealing with them now anyway but wouldn't the ablation take care of them also? How long ago did you have your ablation, if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

I had my ablation 18 months ago.. not had an episode since, i just have jump/skips general dodgey heart beat at times, sometimes most of the day, other times for a total of 30 seconds a day.

• Posted

I think it's really a personal decision but in general these days if you are young and healthy and active they like to jump to the ablation because it's the best shot at a permanent cure. Medication, in general, seems to work for a while for many people but often as people age it seems like it becomes less effective, though not always. But for many medication is just delaying the inevitable. I've been on beta blockers for about 5 years now and have had to increase the dose a few times, they're still doing the job but I don't know for how long. I did have an ablation but it didn't work (or I developed a new problem after, who knows), but I still think it's generally worth a shot. The whole process was expensive and unpleasant however for most people it's a one time thing, fix it and you are done. Especially if you have AVNRT the success rate is over 90% I believe, so the odds are good they can take care of it once and for all. There is, however, nothing wrong with trying drugs first for a while to see how it goes if you are apprehensive. I personally have no side effects from my metoprolol other than amazing blood pressure and a resting heart rate of 58.

• Posted

Thanks! My family members have been on the same type of drugs and didn't seem to have an bad side effects so maybe I won't either 😃 If I do go for the ablation I certainly hope the doctors diagnosis of AVNRT is correct if its a 90% success rate!

• Posted

i had svt for 2 years before it was eventually caught on ECG my heart rate was 240bpm. i had to go to hospital for the shot of adenosine to revert my heart back to its normal rhythm.

about 7 months later in 2017 i had the ablation and have been fine since, just had the odd flutter but nothing major.

it was an easy procedure i was laid there for about 2 hours under sedation and it was fine. id reccomend highly going for the ablation! good luck and heres to being rid of SVT once and for all!!

• Posted

Thanks! Glad to hear your procedure was a success. Being fairly young, I am leaning more towards the ablation. If I do it and it doesn't work then I just go on the meds I guess but if I can avoid them, even for a few years, then maybe that will benefit me in the long run. Compared to other people's SVT bouts, my doesn't seem all that bad I guess...my major episodes are few and only once has my heart rate gone above 160, and it usually doesn't last long. I'm expecting it to get worse if I don't do something now though.

• Posted

Hi, I am on daily flecainide 100 mg CR now and don't have any noticeable side-effects. I was on 200 mg but that was too strong and made me tired. The cardiologist does not recommend ablation for me because its likely the tachycardia is being triggered on the RHS, which is a lot harder and more risky to access than the LHS. Personally I think you should try the meds before the op, which could be risky. I am not a fan of medication, but daily flecainide 100 mg CR has given me back my quality of life.

• Posted

Hi Jamie,

I was diagnosed with SVT 4 years ago and was put on Atenolol. I was fine for 3 years. But last year the situation got worsened and had to do the ablation. Even though the doctor had said the ablation was successful but it came back. I am getting the palpitation again and was hooked up with the loop monitor. I am now waiting for a call from my cardiologist. I probably will go for another ablation if my doctor suggest to do so. I hope the second ablation will eliminate the problem completely .

It is totally up to you but I would strongly suggest to go for an ablation. Medication has side effect, some people feel it some don't. I feel dizzy because of this medication.

• Posted

Thanks! Def worried about the side effects of the medication so leaning toward ablation.

• Posted

I had ablation for avnrt 4 weeks ago i had had it for 10 years and in that time it sliwly slowly got worse and worse. When i had to go to hospital a few times because it was lasting hrs and one time it turned into a fib despite medication so i had ablation. If you are young and fit it really isnt bad. I had no sedation at all and an attack was triggered immediately. I was on table 2 hrs then kept flat then slowly sat up over next 4 hrs. This was worst bit .

• Posted

Thanks! I read about your experience on different posts. Sounds like it wasn't the most pleasant for you. I've read about all different experiences with ablation so I'm hoping if I do get it done it goes a smoothly as possible 😃

• Posted

I've heard of people having an ablation and ending up needing medication and as Bedford90 commented - the side effects can be terrible.

I take a small dose of beta blockers when I need it, like if I'm at high risk of having an episode (sleep deprived, stressed and hormonal are a good combination) to prevent an episode, I also use a beta blocker during an episode to slow my heart rate and make it easier to convert. It will slow SVT down to about 140 bpm for me which is easier to cope with. I don't take beta blockers daily though.

I'm 45 and have had SVT since I was a kid. I regularly get episodes in the middle of the night and although I'm usually a bit more tired the next day I wouldn't let it stop me going about my day. Out of the hundreds of episodes I've had in my life I've only ever had a second episode on the same day once. I find there are always more skipped beats and "irritability" after an episode but it doesn't usually result in another episode. Don't let the anxiety about this change your life. Unless the cardiologist is worried about your heart structure or cardiac vessel disease it's not usually seen as a harmful condition.

• Posted

Thanks! What beta blockers are you on if you don't mind me asking?

• Posted

So you just take it when needed and not every day? I thought you can't just abruptly stop taking metoprolol. My doctor prescribed me metoprolol xl 25 mg once a day but I've been hesitant to take them for that reason.

• Posted

You're hesitant to take it because you aren't supposed to stop suddenly when on an established dose?

I was prescribed 25mg per day also but it makes me feel terrible so I just take it if I think I'm at risk and in a situation where taking a few hours off would be really inconvenient. My Cardiologist said it's fine to take 50mg when required but you need to speak to your Dr about what your dosing options are. For me I don't see the point of taking a daily medication for a symptom I don't get that often.If you have frequent symptoms (not just ectopic beats because metoprolol won't stop those) then it may be worth your while taking daily meds.

My Cardiologist told me this would get worse with age but it hasn't. My worst year was 2 years ago and the last year has been the best. My episodes usually can't be stopped by me and I hang around at home for a couple of hours to see if it will convert but usually I end up in the ED.

Coincidently I just got back from the ED this morning after a prolonged episode. It's been really quiet lately too! They converted me with a Modified Valsalva and then gave me a 25 mg dose of Metoprolol to keep my heart "quiet' for the rest of the day. The ED Drs always seem to be concerned about it starting back up but as I said it has only done that once.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.