New to this group and mirtazapine.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

I've just been prescribed mirtazipine by the gp after so many failed antidepressants. I'm feeling pretty deaperate & was just hoping for some idea of what to expect on them.

I'm going to pluck up the courage and take my first one tonight.

Has anyone tried this & what experiences have you had?

Thank you in advance & any thoughts would be great.

Butterfly x

0 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine 15mg for 18 months now. I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews and comments. For me personally, I think it's a wonder drug! I sleep like a baby, my moods are balanced, I no longer suffer with panic or anxiety attacks and my depression is minimal. 

I cannot comment on the withdrawal as I am still taking it. The only worry I have is having to come off it.

• Posted

I think there's a natural bias for people with bad experiences on a paticular drug to post.  Also I think there's an element of people for whom the drug worked are less likely to be actively engaging in boards such as this as they're busy just living their normal life.  Not everyone granted but do think it can cause opinions on whether a drug is useful or not to be skewed from what actually might be the case.

If it's of any interest I have recently come off Mirtazapine, wasn't on it as long as you (only 6-7 months) but was taking 45mg at one point.  Although it didn't work for me I perosnally have found it really not that difficult to gradually step down the dose.

• Posted

I think there's a natural bias for people with bad experiences on a paticular drug to post.  Also I think there's an element of people for whom the drug worked are less likely to be actively engaging in boards such as this as they're busy just living their normal life.  Not everyone granted but do think it can cause opinions on whether a drug is useful or not to be skewed from what actually might be the case.

If it's of any interest I have recently come off Mirtazapine, wasn't on it as long as you (only 6-7 months) but was taking 45mg at one point.  Although it didn't work for me I perosnally have found it really not that difficult to gradually step down the dose.

• Posted

Yes, I can see your point. I'm just forever researching my meds and I remember back to before I started taking Mirtazapine, I searched these forums for similar advice and most of what I found to be negative. I then started worrying about these side effects before actually having experienced any. So I just wanted to give my more positive review. Hopefully it will work as well for others as it has for me.

I don't want to come off it at the moment, I have never slept so well. Would rather be taking Mirt than zopiclone or zolpidem.

• Posted

I agree totally with clarkio regarding an inherent bias that people who have had problems etc are more likely to post - it is a bit like newspapers - good news isn't interesting. And f one posts that one hasn't had a problem clearly one isn't authentic.
    • Posted

I agree that if you ve had no problems with medication or withdrawing from medication it is unlikely that you re going to post something.For me personally this forum has helped me more than I can ever say,I was desperate to talk to someone who was experiencing the same problem with withdrawl symptoms as me.i found those people and we have chattered and helped each other realize that we weren't t alone.we all react to medication differently.we are all adults and no one can tell you wether to take a certain medication or not,for me this forum has been more about support and I thank the people who have helped me x
    • Posted

Yes, but don't you realise that there are those of  us who have been trhough the mill, have had ECT, have been on many meds, have taken 4 years to get rid of suicidal ideation. There are those of us who have had 4 breakdowns over a period of 30 years, have been in hospital at one point for more than 6 months. Yes, it was terrible, but it hopefully gets better and I assume that you people want to get better, although for many of us it might have seemed very unlikely at various points on the road that we would get there.
    • Posted

I know there are people out there that have many problems,I to have problems connected to a condition I have and I am very sorry that they re suffering.and I wish them good health,yes these tablets have helped many people and that is great I want people to be helped.i think everyone of us wants to get better,no one is saying that anyone is wrong for taking medication.We have all took it for one reason of another.i am simply trying to say we came on here for support.
    • Posted

There is such a thing as tough love. Have you ever been to group therapy or a group. I have never been to one where we have sat round saying how wonderful each other is. We sit round, quietly listen to each other, and then give of our own experience.

You seem to think that you are there to receive support and the rest of us are there to support you. Has it ever occurred to you that those who you seem to be trying to give support also might be finding catharsis in giving of their own experience. They are also finding it helpful and they are being supported and also participating in a discussion.

So once anyone participates in any group they no longer become ownership of the group - everyone participating belongs to the group.

Now if you feel that others in the group are hijacking the group then you are fully within your rights to tell the other person.

You can decide to leave the group and form your own group.

And if you are seriously concerned by the behaviour of someone else in any group you can report them to the Moderators.

• Posted

hi i go to groups and certain people take over and its all about them anoys me as im there to be helped . this is slowing my recovery down i say nothing as i would be seen as the bad person! 
    • Posted

Have done nothing but support people in this forum a lot of the time I ve done it privately,I don t know why you see fit to verbally attack me,
    • Posted

Nick,

quit being a bully to people. It's not okay to take inventory on anyone let alone a woman who has done nothing but be supportive. Why the poor attitude and all the rude complaints.

if you think tough love is for you then fine but for me sweet and tender love is the biggest yes to this whole thing called love.

and love is the only reality, you should try it on for size.

you been provoking people who don't want to take medication. You are biased against being drug free, and I respect your opinion but as for myself and my friends we would like to get clean and clear.

Don't bully people it's not nice.

fudgey is a super lady so please just leave her alone.

• Posted

No problem, I got your back , because I know what a sweet and wonderful person you are and he better be kind to you. He doesn't know a thing about you. He dare he be so rude to you. Not right. Amen.
    • Posted

I think that being a bully is to coerce people by fear (OED). I think that you think that if you don't like what I say that I am bullying you. You know what someone once said - if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

I have looked and if you don't like what someone says you can either accept it, discuss it, reject it or just ignore it.

But if I look through this discussion I can see you saying (again noone in particular) how are you today - I hope that you are feeling better than yesterday. There must be other forums where you can have more like social chitchat - this forum IMHO is for discussing the effects of medication.

You (pl) use  this forum for whatever you want to use it for - and when someone uses it for a different purpose then you have a go at them.

As I suggest above, support is whatever you decide it is (as in Alice Through the Looking Glass). If it makes you feel bad then it is not support.

When a physical group has made me feel too bad I have just left - and left others to it.

• Posted

Please don t send me anymore messages, my friends have asked my advise because I had stared my withdrawl before them,I am not reading the post you have sent me,if you ve got the time to go through every post you carry on,if you really took notice of what I have said you wouldn't t be talking such nonsense,now for the last time I m asking you nicely to leave me alone,Nobody is asking you to look at our posts,i
    • Posted

Well, Being a bully is also when you always get a bit miffed at what other people think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.