New to this group and mirtazapine.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello,

I've just been prescribed mirtazipine by the gp after so many failed antidepressants. I'm feeling pretty deaperate & was just hoping for some idea of what to expect on them.

I'm going to pluck up the courage and take my first one tonight.

Has anyone tried this & what experiences have you had?

Thank you in advance & any thoughts would be great.

Butterfly x

0 likes, 109 replies

109 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Butterfly, I was on Mirt earlier this year.  Like you was initially prescribed 15mg but I broke the tabl;et in half to start for the first week and then moved up to the 15mg.  In time I moved up to 45mg.  Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for my anxiety and so I've tapered down and have switched to an AD called Sertraline.

Although it didn't work for me there are lots of people who say Mirtazapine had worked for them, everyone is different and unfortunately with ADs it seems to be a case of just trying to find the one which suits you sometimes.

Side effects wise you can expect to sleep well (take them at night) and probably feel tired during the day.  This lessens a bit with time bu,t for me anyway, always remained at a certain level of triedness throughout the day.  At all doses I was on found (once I was used to them) that I could function at work ok (my job is a software developer).  A lot of people, me included, also find Mirt increases your appetite quite a lot.  For me that was a good thing as had lost weight to 9 and half stone (I'm 5' 11") but you may need to be careful if wieght is an issue for you.

Overall although they didn't work for me I found these tablets a lot easier to start and  tolerate than the initial effects of SSRIs.  Personally have also found tapering down the dose to not be too much of a problem.  Am still taking a tiny amount (about 3mg) at the moment but plan to stop that end of this week as have started on Sertraline instead.

Sorry to ramble, I hope this is of some help and I hope your experience with Mirtazapine is trouble free and of use to you.

• Posted

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for all your comments & thoughts.

I took my first one last night & i managed to get a good nights sleep yey!! I do feel very drowsy & not with it today, but it has certainly calmed me down so fingers crossed this is the one that helps make me better. I guess i will know that in the weeks to come. 

Butterfly xx

• Posted

mirt didnt work for me but gud luk i wish u well
    • Posted

hi Jeanette like youself mirt didnt work for me tappering off it at the moment was on 45mg have reduced to 30 for a week now

week 2 15mg mirt at night+ 20 mg fluoxetine day which is where i am at now.

next week3 just got to take the fluoxetine daily does anyone have any advice

• Posted

I am on my 3rd day of them and i feel soooo drowsy & shattered & can't wait for bed. Which is not like me at all i like to stay up watching dvd's or something good on tv.

Is this the norm on them & will it pass or will i always be drowsy? xx

• Posted

I was drowsy,my memory was so bad I would forget what I d just said or done,also the weight gain was crazy.it did help me calm down,but the side effects were to bad.i m back to square one with my anxiety now I m off them and I wish I could find something to calm me down without the bad side effects,my anxiety is caused because of another health problem.ii know this won t have helped you I just wanted you to know you re not alone.
    • Posted

Fudgey,

I hope you find something for your anxiety without the side effects💙 don't stop trying. Keep searching it'll be there for you

hugsx

• Posted

Thanks Rose,that means a lot,I will never take another anti depressant,after being on mirt I'm  terrified of them.i m in a catch 22 situation,the anxiety comes with the inner ear problem.this whole situation has robbed me of my life for 6yrs,I do get tired of fighting it,but I always smile and carry on 💙💜💚
    • Posted

Hi Manuel,

was this an off day for you or an on day? I'm hoping you are sleeping well tonight. It's a little rocky in the beginning days of one off one on.

thinking of you....

• Posted

I personally found that the tiredness did settle down a bit as my body got more used to them but there was a certain level of tiredness which persisted even after that.  I didn't dint it unmanageable though.

I also experimented quite a bit with the time I took my tablet and for me the best time was about 45mins before bed.  Would take the pill and watch an episode of something on TV any by the end of the show I was ready for sleep.

• Posted

That's good to hear that it improves over time.

I have noticed today i don't feel as drowsy, but feel so agitated & angry at everything. This is just awful. Please help quickly mirtazapine really can't take much more of this sad x

• Posted

You'll know this anyway from trying other ADs, but try and stick in there for 2 weeks and see how you feel.  Try and practice all the good stuff like breathing exercises, yoga etc. if you can.  Try and be kind and not too critical of yourself whilst you wait for the initial side effects to die down.

As I said earlier Mirtazapine didn't actually work for me (although it has for many others) but I always liked the fact that I knew I would get a decent sleep on it.  Anxiety with no sleep is not a good combination.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

Can i ask what you take? just with you saying the mirt didn't work for you? 

Butterfly x

• Posted

Hi,

Have started taking Sertraline.  Started low on 12.5mg for 2 weeks and am currently on 25mg.  Will probably go up to 50mg but I reckon it seems to be working for me, my anxiety is way down and just feel more like my normal self.

Everyone is different I guess and it's a case of finding the one which works for you which you can tolerate any side effects from.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.