New treatment for urethral stricture by urotronic optilume dcb

Posted , 29 users are following.

urotronic has introduced a drug coated balloon catheter to treat urethral stricture but i don't know when it will be availabeimage

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

looks brilliant,im from rep.ireland and have had stricures since road traffic accident in 1999,in 2005 i had urethral reconstruction, im going to birmingham england to have a redo of the recontruction in december this year, id much rather try this alternative any idea when available in ireland /england?

• Posted

Can't speak for others but for me it was very short term relief and had an emergency situation within months. In 15 years I've been rushed to hospital 5 times, unable to urinate at all. It all came on within hours and the treatment was extremely painful.

Though over the years I began to recognize the problem quicker a non-permanent solution was not an option for me anymore. Each emergency I would end up in agony for a month, needing t have a catheter with a damaged urethra, and attempt to go to work as normal.

Surgery is the only option for some.

• Posted

Going to have to learn something about this. I know years ago they have a balloon catheter before that my doctor was telling me about Ken

• Posted

hi. did the bee pollen work . please let me know becuase i am in the same situation

• Posted

Hey Buddy

I never did bee pollen

My stricture has been fine. It is just before the prostate. A few year ago I had to have clip put back on my prostate. Got the doctor bad he was not my urologist. It is a long story but I will give you the short version.

With the stricture my urologist told me that I can only have a 14 fr coude catheter or smaller. This doctor did a surgery on me I had to be flashed out. He put in a 28 fr straight catheter. I was upset when I woke up.

But with him doing that he opened up the stricture and it is still open. No problems

Have a good day...Ken

PS See if you can do some dilation.

• Posted

can you tell me which brand of bee pollen and what effects does it make on the stricture and urine flow. i strain during urination

• Posted

I don't know what effects it makes but it works.i was diagnosed in nov 2017 urethral stricture 1.4 cm in the end of penile urethral called penobulbo. I had to strain urine to get flow.got pain in right kidney bcoz of straining during urinating.i went to urologist and he gave me ciprofloxacin 500mg twice in a day and said don't worry it may be a infection or inflammation of prostate that is causing this and said it is better for you to go for urethrogram.after urethrogram's report he found stricture in urethra by the urethrogram and then he adviced me to have urethrotomy but i refused bcoz i got normal flow of urine without straining with taking cipro 500 mg.when i took cipro 5 days i got relief upcoming 15 days.i had to take cipro for 5 days in every 20 days of a month.so i have been taking cipro from nov 7 2017 to 10 october 2018.when i searched the side effects of cipro on google then i understood that it has lot of side effects.i was searching cure for urethral stricture on google before going to urethrotomy and then i read about bee pollen that it gives you relief but does not treat the stricture.so i tried forever bee pollen and it amazed me from its result.i take bee pollen 500mg tablet twice in a day.one after lunch and one before going to bed.so it is my story frnd.i think being a human and muslim it is my duty to help others that's why i am telling you my story.hope you will get same result from bee pollen.i am waiting for a new treatment which has been introduced by urotronic .first patient got treatment in canada by the optilume drug coated balloon catheter of urotronic.actually urotronic has introduced this dcb to make urethrotomy successfull bcoz this drug coated balloon ends the high recurrence rate after urethrotomy.you can search on google or twitter about urotronic.

• Posted

what specific brand of bee pollen are you using . i was straining to urinate for more than 10 days and only very small amount come out . i still strain but things are bad . please help me out

• Posted

Hi:

I am from Canada and planning to take this drug coated balloon soon . Here this treatment not covered by NHS so I have to from my pocket. its expensive but if I get cured then no regret because suffering from stric. since 20 years. Several dialation and urethrotomy done . Sometimes doing sel fcatheter . No doubt urethroplasty is final cure but I will give a chance to optilume. Most propab. in Europe this is not approved yet. Please update. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Gera23,

Did you try this new treatment of optilume? Please share your experience it will help others too.

• Edited

Hello,

I am in New Zealand and had the Optilume DCB procedure for bulbar urethral stricture 12 weeks ago.

I am 65 years old.

By way of background I had a HoLEP and bladder neck resection procedure for BPH in June 2019. Unfortunately I was one of the approximately 2% who suffered a 1cm bulbar urethral stricture from undergoing this procedure. Damm. By Nov 2019 my peak flow was 5ml/sec and ave 2ml/sec. Nocturia hourly. IPSS 32. Far worse than pre Holep. Damm.

Had a Urethrotomy for a 1cm Bulbar urethral stricture in Dec 2019. By early March 2020 ( 12 weeks post op) my peak flow was 3ml /sec and average 1.5ml /sec. IPSS 33. Total waste of time and money. Damm again.

I have never self catheterised. The thought of it terrifies me.

Scheduled for end to end Urethroplasty in June 2020 but ascending and descending urethrogram showed my stricture to be hard against the external urinary sphincter and so end to end not possible. Would have to be a buccal graft. Lower success rate due to position and high chance of damage to the sphincter leading to incontinence. Damm again.

Researched on the internet and came across the Optilume DCB which was registered and available in NZ. Never been used in NZ though.

I begged my urologist to use it and finally he relented and I had the procedure on 6th June, 2020. One night in hospital, 10 days with urethral catheter. No pain, no discomfort ( apart from I don't like catheters) . Little bit of light bleeding for a few days. Nothing but good news since.

So yesterday was 12 weeks post Optilume. Had follow up appointment. Max flow 21ml/sec and average flow 12ml/sec. Lovely bell shaped curve. Great taking into account my age. IPSS 1, as I do get up once at night to go to the toilet. I feel wonderful, really thrilled.

So for me Optilume has changed my life. The unknown is how long it will last but I see the two year trial results are very positive.

I wish I had never had the HoLEP and just pressed on with the tablets, but I can not turn back the clock. As an aside and unrelated to the Optilume my PSA did not drop post HoLEP and continues to increase. I will never let anyone near me with a scalpel again so I have refused biopsy and also MRI.

I will take my chances and live well.

All the best for your Optilume procedure. I am sure that. like me, you will not regret it.

Take care.

• Posted

Good to know...How's your erection ?

• Posted

Hi NZKIWI, congrats on your recovery. I'm also a New Zealander that is currently suffering from a urethral stricture and this is in the bulbar area. I was recently diagnosed a few weeks ago after a cystoscopy and underwent the dilation procedure. I was wondering about the avaliability of the drug coated balloon treatment in NZ cos I heard on the urotronic website that it says its avaliable for sale in NZ and Canada. So did u have go have to get the treatment done in the public system or the private system and if the private, how much did it cost? Also is it really quite hard in general to get a urologist in NZ to give someone the DCB treatment? I didnt know about DCB until after my diagnosis from searching the web and my urologist said that if the stricture recurs then the next step would be a urethroplasty which i would not be looking forward to. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

• Posted

Hi mb1999,

I am in same situation. Bulber stricture and would like to try DCB treamtent then opting for urethroplasty (knowing it's complexity and side effects). Please shed some light if you come across any urologist in NZ who gave DCB treatment. I am not from NZ but i feel it's worth to visit for these treatment.

• Posted

Can I asked where you managed to get treatment? I am in Christchurch awaiting a urologist appointment, hoping if it is a stricture it's small enough to have the optilume treatment

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.