New treatment for urethral stricture by urotronic optilume dcb

Posted , 29 users are following.

urotronic has introduced a drug coated balloon catheter to treat urethral stricture but i don't know when it will be availabeimage

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hello, how much is the Optilume treatment?

• Posted

Hello aamir, I underwent for the clinical trial to be eligible candidate but I was rejected due to my siticutre size was greater than >2cm , And I heard ROBUST III study/trail is running for >2cm now. Just looking to discuss with my Dr. if he can help me. I don't want to undergo urethroplasty surgery due to complications like ED etc.

• Posted

Hi,

I have 2cm stricture in bulbar urethra .How i can take this treatment .I am located in Singapore.I am also worrying about urethoplasthy complications.One time done urethomy but stricture recurr again.Please give information it is available in Singapore or which country it is available.

• Edited

Hi Himesh

As i go through various website. The DCB is approved to use in NZ,Canada and Hong kong. I am in same situation - bulber stricture and scared to go for urethroplasty. I am trying to find any good urologist either in NZ or Canada who knows treated others using DCB and share with you once know. Please let me know if you come across any info.

• Posted

Hey Nik691, I got treated by Dr. Elterman in Toronto and it was a good experience, and my flow rate is much higher than before.

It's still early but it is promising, and a great feeling being able to not feel restricted.

• Posted

Guys , any leads on when this could be available in UK , europe or India ? and costs or point of contact to get this done privately

• Posted

Hi All,

I am suffering same what NZKIWI was in..Could someone please recommend the Urologist either NZ or Canada who has experience perform this minimally invasive surgery via DCB. otherwise hospital name and contact to get more info.

Will appreciate your help.

• Posted

Any update on this yet? I want to try this before doing the Urethroplasty procedure.

• Posted

I saw a NICE (UK National Institute of Clinical Excellence) report online from January 2021 which indicated, on the one hand, that optilume works well but more time and trials are required to determine the long term effect of the drug, with which the balloon is impregnated, on tissue.

I do not know which European countries, if any, allow the treatment either through their health service or through private clinics.

The slow pace of such matters in the UK is very frustrating given that the treatment has been available in the US since 2017.

I will just have to keep checking the situation.

• Edited

Just got the procedure done in Toronto, Canada. It's only been a couple days but so far the results are really great.

Thank you Urotronic. And cheers to Dr. Elterman He is a great surgeon.

• Edited

3 months in, and I am very pleased with the results. The last bit of stinging feeling while urinating finally went away a couple weeks ago. Now I pi$$ like a race horse lol

Highly recommend this procedure based on my personal experience.

• Edited

No self dilatation necessary. I had a catheter for about a week after the procedure and it was pretty s****y, but not really that bad. Just couldn't walk too much or do anything strenuous for that week.

I'm 26yo, did self dilatation a few times before but it wouldn't last more than a couple hours.

I would definitely consider this even if I had to travel internationally to get it. Thankfully I had it done right here in my own city.

• Posted

hey matt, how close was your stricture to the external sphincter, do you know? also did the procedure improve your ejaculation? .. I've got issues lol

• Posted

My ejaculation is better for sure, and the procedure was very pretty close to the external sphincter (Bulbar stricture)

I recommend this procedure but I will advise you that my flow rate has decreased a tiny but noticeable amount since the procedure.

I would estimate that my flow rate, both urinary and ejaculation are approximately 80%-90% of a 'normal' flow, compared to the 20-35% flow rate that I had prior to the operation.

• Posted

Hello Matthew, considering that the procedure was very close to the external sphincter, could you please tell me which balloon diameter was used? 24 or 30 French? Was 30 French considered potentially dangerous for the sphincter? I would be very grateful for an answer.

• Posted

it was very close, right at the 'neck' is how they described it. the procedure certainly improved my ejaculation.

• Posted

i honestly have no idea. These questions would have to be asked to the doctor, in my case, Dr. Dean Elterman

• Posted

Hi matthew2 i hope you are doing great , please can you update us about your state , is the flow still good ? no reoccurence ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.