Newbie , researching cataract surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Looking for advice and guidance! I been diagnosed with cataract in both eyes. I finally saw an ophthalmologist yesterday. Brief exam, dilated eyes, told me I had cataract. Explained to me the IOL for distance, near vision and the expensive IOL. Never ask me about my life style, I work on a computer daily. Told me the distance IOL would start at around 3-4 feet out. Very disappointing experience, scheduled surgery, then cancel when I came home. Is this how it is normally done!.?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You found a good site. I think you did the right thing by cancelling/postponing your surgery. Unfortunately it seems that many surgeons don't spend time discussing the options with patients ahead of time and you need to do your own research. This forum and other internet sites related to vision and cataracts are a good place to start. 

Maybe tell us a little bit about yourself (age, how you spend your time, etc.) and your vision history (Do you wear glass/contacts? Are both eyes similar in terms of vision?). Then prepare to spend time reading the posts and  discussions on this site and the others. I think that the more time you put into this effort, the more satisfied you are likely to be with your results.

Among other things you will find that you can choose to set your "best focus" point to suit your lifestyle and goals. There are a variety of lens options (with different drawbacks). 

• Posted

Hi Mutti3 - was writing out something similar to what Derek just wrote so won’t reiterate.

Sorry you too have been diagnosed with cataracts.  I know at 53 I was devastated with this news and living in Canada had a long wait to see an opthamologist consult and my surgeries and was actually glad to have that time to read and research.   These forums were a great help to me for both info and support.  

The good news is there are many more options than our grandparents had.  Each option has its pros and cons and compromises so it’s good to know what you do for a living, hobbies, sports and go from there.

So welcome - and like Derek mentioned tell us a bit more about yourself and many of us will do our best to offer suggestions.  

• Posted

I am 60 years old and was diagnosed with cataracts in both eyes. My doctor talked to me extensively about my hobbies my work what meant the most to me as far as being able to see near or far. I decided to go with a Symfony lens which cost for both eyes $6,600 . I had one eye done in January and waited until April to have the second eye done ,it's been one year. Computer work is great if I were to try to do something like jewelry fixing or sewing 1.25 glasses would help but I really don't need them...it's just a little sharper. Distance is pretty good too . Now the bad part. If you do a lot of driving at night you may experience huge Halos around lights and glare. I was willing to give up not seeing great at night as long as I could see 95% during the day. Do your research and make sure that the doctor explains everything to you. I don't know for sure if I would do the same thing over again considering how much it did cost me out of my own pocket.good luck.

• Posted

That is a big expense.  I too have Symfony lenses.  Although service not as personalized and wait times longer I am grateful Canada pays for cataract surgery regardless idylens chosen.  Only paid difference between a mo ofocal and Symfony ($900 per eye).

Seems we got much the same result.  I haven’t yet found a need for glasses.  I did have glare in the beginning but that has subsided a lot.  Still see concentric circles around certain lights outside at night.  Mostly on red street lights and car brakes when applied.  In the beginning driving was more difficult.  I have adjusted and now don’t think twice about night driving - although if that was something I did a lot of would think twice.

• Posted

Wow deborah83975 ... from my perspective, that's a great price ($6,600 total for both eyes). I only have one eye done so far, but if they both were done, the cost would have been a little over $11,000. I wonder why there is such a big difference. (I'm in the USA).

• Posted

$6,600 was my share the rest was paid by the insurance company which is probably another 6000
  • Posted

I bit of my vision history. I am almost 68 years old. Been nearsighted with use of glasses since 8 years old. Started with bifocal at 43. Tried monovision contact about 18 years ago, but couldn’t achieve good close vision. Still employed, using a duel monitor computer. Was diagnosed with cataract about 8 years ago. My vision has worsen. I have floaters, and even clouds! I am not disappointed that I cancel my preop mapping, almost relieved from a possible bad decision I couldn’t undo.
    • Posted

Mutti3 - what is your current prescription?

If you had to chose between having best distance vision or intermediate/near is there a distance you’d prefer to be glasses free?

The expensive IOL your opthamologist mentioned does provide a larger range of focus and although they don’t guarantee you to be glasses free - if all goes well you are.  But they do come with a trade-off and that is your night vision.  I have the premium lenses and have excellent daytime vision but see multiple concentric circles around certain light sources at night.  If you take the time to read through some posts on these forums there is much information on these trade-offs.

• Posted

At this point I don’t know what my vision numbers. Vision testing was not done. By my choosing. I am use to close, intermediate, and distance. I don’t think I could live with no close vision starting at 3-4 feet out. I do have a lot to research, and learn. 
    • Posted

It would be good for you to know your prescription.  Perhaps your regular optometrist would have that on file from your last visit?   Aside from to know how near sighted or far sighted you are it would be beneficial to know the CYL number to see if you have any significant amount of astigmatism.   There are premium lenses you can get to correct that (whether it be a monofocal or EDOF lens like Symfony that both have toric versions).

Once you’ve done a bit of reading and research do you have an opthamologist who is willing to dialogue with you and explore the various options?

• Posted

It's so disappointing to hear how little guidance many cataract patients get pre-operatively, especially since it is a choice with life-long consequences.  Like you, I didn't get much help and also delayed about 2 years before finally getting surgery.  From what I can tell, many doctors just ask if you want to see "near" or "far" without glasses (for the traditional monofocal lens) or talk patients into "premium" lenses for $$$ without fully discussing the implications.  I was always somewhat near-sighted, (about -2D) so was used to seeing close and intermediate without my glasses.  The thought of having to wear glasses every time I wanted to read, look at my phone, use the computer, etc. was extremely disturbing.  I decided to aim for intermediate/near (a little less near-sighted than before) with a monofocal lens and couldn't be happier. I get along most of the time without glasses, except for driving, biking, hiking, work meetings, movies, etc.  Computer distance and reading sheet music is excellent, and reading is pretty good (though I have to hold things farther away for finer print now).  I think it comes down to what Sue.an said; you need to decide where you'd most like to see without glasses (or, where it would be most bothersome to have to use them).  It seems like NO one I talked to recommended or even discussed an "intermediate" correction (I'm guessing docs may be worried patients will complain if they end up needing glasses for both distance and fine print).  I just thought I'd bring up this option, since you mentioned computer use, which requires good intermediate vision.  (For reference, my current vision is -1.25D & -1.5D).  Everyone I talked to looked at me strangely when I said I wanted to be "a little near-sighted," but honestly this seems to be the best overall compromise for me, without the risks of artifact from the pricey multi-focal/EDOF lenses.  Good luck and take your time deciding, as each person's eyes and needs are unique.

• Posted

Well said BellaD - since your original post I have often wondered why (including my own) never explored your option.  Especially with patients who are able to see near and intermediate without glasses.  It bothered me so much to think about losing that.  I had worn glasses for distance since a child and having same setup would have been more palatable to me.

It was my main reason to go with Symfony lenses and accept trade off of the halos.   I am relieved now that it is over to see so well during the day and not have to be out all those $$$ living in Canada.  Can’t say whether I would shell out the prices some have been quoting from USA.   But I know I would have been miserable with losing my near vision.   Each person’s decision in that area is unique.

• Posted

Hi Mutti3,

Just to share my own experience. After I made an appointment with the doctor's office, they sent me a package explaining the procedure and it also included some questionnaires for my life style and my most cared vision distance.

On the day of the consultation, the doctor reviewed my questionnaires and discussed the options of lens choices. He did recommend the Symfony lens but wanted me to decide. He also told me if I go with the monofocal lens, he would choose mid-range focus for me based on my work and life style. So I searched the internet and found this forum and then decided to go with monofocal lens based on the reviews here.

I'm now 3 weeks after my first eye surgery and 1 week after my 2nd eye surgery. I'm happy with the results. My doctor set the focus to be -1.0D for both eyes and I no longer need glasses for almost all my daily activities even reading my cell phone at about 14" distance. Driving is also no issue. Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you so much for giving me information. Unfortunately the doctor asked me nothing about me!  Or send me a questionnaire. The only bright side I can say, I met my medicare deductible with that visit! 
    • Posted

You are welcome. I think I'm lucky to find a decent doctor. But I think he is way too busy and don't leave you a lot of time to ask questions after the first consultation. So I think your own research is very important.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.