Newbie , researching cataract surgery

Posted , 13 users are following.

Looking for advice and guidance! I been diagnosed with cataract in both eyes. I finally saw an ophthalmologist yesterday. Brief exam, dilated eyes, told me I had cataract. Explained to me the IOL for distance, near vision and the expensive IOL. Never ask me about my life style, I work on a computer daily. Told me the distance IOL would start at around 3-4 feet out. Very disappointing experience, scheduled surgery, then cancel when I came home. Is this how it is normally done!.?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Very informative answers to my questions! Thank you all very much. I am going to continue my research, I did find it a bit disheartening for the doctor to be robotic and give cut and dry information. I will put this life altering decision on hold. In the mean time gathering useful information! I will continue to read thread on this blog, and understand the terminology! 
  • Posted

With the careful choice of IOL types and perhaps mini-monovision between the two eyes, you may be able to attain good focus without glasses at two of the 3 focus points.  However the results after surgery always have some uncertainty due to how the cornea heals might produce astigmatism, the pre-surgery measurements/estimates,  and the power steps available in IOLs.

But you do have the choice of where to set the target refraction for each eye based on which 2 of the 3 focus zones are most important to you, and expect to need glasses for the third focus zone which hopefully is the one you personally would use the least.  If you are for example used to being nearsighted, you could target one eye for near vision and the other eye for intermediate vision, and use glasses for distance/driving.

• Posted

Wonderful suggestion ! I have learn more in the past day, then the useless 10 minute with the doctors. Thank you so much for the information
  • Posted

This morning I am going to an optometrists to get glasses Rx. Even though I know he is not a surgeon, I will ask questions about my cataract. Will follow up later. 
    • Posted

I found my optemtrist to be very good second resource in making this decision. She had lots of comments from prior cataract patients and discussed their outcomes with me.

You mentioned that you've worn contacts but I'm not sure if you still do. If you have a good optemtrist, they can give you free trial contacts to simulate various things. This assumes that the vision in your other eye is still good.

For example, let's say that you are considering a monofocal set for intermediate. Have your optometrist give you sample contacts that are set to a similar difference from your prescription. For example, if you need a - 4.0 for distance, try a - 3.0 for a few days to see what you think.

• Posted

Decided to get a new pair of glasses. Nearsighted with bifocals. My vision  is 20/70 with current glasses. The optometrist could only correct to 20/40. That will buy me time in deciding for  cataract surgery.  I will to read these threads in the mean time. 
  • Posted

You might find out whether you have astigmatism. I did and I got my second corrective IOL just about a month ago. I am a happy camper - need glasses for smaller print or careful reading only. I have worn glasses since I was 12 or 13 years old (in my early 70's now). My sight was corrected to 20/40 with glasses.

Here's what I did - I read a lot here on this forum and a few websites. Asked some questions. I thought about what I wanted - ideally no glasses but if not that, then to be able to buy reading glasses off the shelf (pharmacy glasses). For that I needed my eyes to be the same strength.

I told my surgeon I was interested in more than medicare would pay for (I live in Canada) and so I was scheduled for special measurements (extra cost involved). She said I could see her after the measurements, so I did. She reviewed them; we talked about what I would like and what was achievable. We agreed on a toric lens for astigmatism in my first and weakest eye. She also said she would optimize the lens to give me good mid-range vision. The surgery was easy and the aftercare good. At my followup appointment, she said she was happy and we would go ahead with my other eye as scheduled (about 3.5 weeks after the first). We talked again about the IOL and again, she recommended toric based on my eye measurements.

I did consider monovision, but the surgeon wasn't particularly keen because some people don't adjust. She said if I wanted it, I could try with a contact lens on my unoperated eye. However I had opted for my poorest eye to be operated first - figuring I could bail on my second surgery if I wanted! Ideally for mono vision, the poorest should be set for close and the strongest for far. But I was happy with the idea of toric lenses. Now my sight is about 20/20 and as I said, I have cheap eyeglasses. I am waiting until an upcoming trip is done to have a full prescription eye visit. My optician said to wait as long as I could before buying glasses. My two pairs of $8 reading glasses are totally discardable if my vision changes more!

Thank you to everyone who helped me with my decision making.

• Posted

What an excellent report! I do have a very mild astigmatism in both eyes. I have try monvision with contact about 17 years ago, nut has not very successful.i live in the states. I think my biggest problem was I pick this eye doctor sort like a pig  in a poke” basically told me I have cataract, (I knew This already”) told me about the 3 options of close or distance ,or expensive  lenses.  Told me to talk to other people who had surgery, read on the Internet for information. Then I made an appointment with the scheduler for the mapping, and left. Came home, thought about the entire experience, and cancel.  Getting new glasses with correction of 20/40 will give more time to put this decision off. 

• Posted

As I've said repeatedly on this and other forums,  there is no artificial lens that will ever be as good as your natural lens. At some point a cataract gives you no choice, you have to go with the surgery and compared to where that eye was to start with there is usually a great improvement.

Unfortunately, most eye surgeons push you to replace a perfectly good lens in the other eye within a few weeks of surgery on the first diseased lens...seemingly only to line their pockets.

If you are an active individual, especially one in their 60's, driving night and day, texting on your cell phone at all hours,on your laptop 24/7, digging eyelashes out of your eye or a female who likes to apply makeup then do not replace that perfectly good lens until absolutely necessary.

At some point, that depends only on you, the trade offs make sense ...unfortunately most eye surgeons know they can talk any patient into having the other eye done within a few weeks of the first surgery whether they need it or not...

• Posted

You logic makes sense. That is why I postpone my decision , and got new glasses. It will give me 20 /40 Vision. I don’t rush into any type of surgery. Thank you for your excellent input.
    • Posted

My eye surgeon operated on my left eye in 2010 and my right eye in 2017. He was not pushy, in fact he delayed operating on my second eye. wink

Mutti3, my husband is an engineer and works on computer a lot.  He had Symphony IOL implants on both eyes in 2016 and now has a vision of 20/17 on one eye and 20/15 on the other.

I still have not found out the name of the new lens better than Symphony IOLs.  You may want to check with your eye surgeon.

• Posted

That new lens (if same one you are thinking of) is atLARA - but not available yet in USA.
  • Posted

Thank you for the information.! The md I went to was no pushy, just not giving enough  ti formation to make a decision.
  • Posted

I been reading everyone thread, but being so ill informed, I don’t understand the terminology used. I have my current prescription for glasses as follows.OD sheer 1.75 cyl -.75 a is 145

OS sheer 2.75 cyl -.75 axis 080  near added 2.00 in both eyes. What I was told, this Rx only corrects me to20/40.i never had the eye mapping for cataracts . The eye dr told me the distance monofocal IOl lens start abut 36 inches out. Or I could choose close vision instead. I read glowing reports of cataract surgeries, and wonder if picked good md,or just got lucky. I can’t depend on luck when I comes to vision. I had a knee replaced 6 months with excellent results.

• Posted

My husband chose the advanced refractive premium implants, Symphony multifocal lenses.

He enjoys clear vision right after both surgeries. The following months, his vision becomes even better. He does not need glasses at all for computer works and distant vision. Kind of driving my nuts with jealousy. We both have the same eye surgeon, a top-notched professional.

I do not know how conversion is for the 20/40 vision to your eye prescription. The eye surgeon will do specific measurements of anterior chamber depth white-to-white, corneal topography & various dimensions, and IOL power calculations.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.