Newly diagnosed as Hypertensive

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 82 and my GP says my BP is far too high (179/90).  Can anyone tell me whether it is necessary to have a blood test before treatment can be prescribed.  I am a needle/blood phobic and in a state of pnic about this.  MY GP has refused treatment unless I have a blood test.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, How awful for you. The fear of needles must be a dreadful thing to cope with, but of course blood tests can either rule out or confirm any possible causes of your high blood pressure. You could try and lower it yourself by ditching high fat foods, no "fast foods" etc and limit alcohol. Lose weight if weight is an issue. No smoking. Introduce a brisk 30 minute walk into your daily routine. Eat beetroot and garlic whenever possible. Use Virgin Olive Oil for cooking and on salads.

Your bp isn't disastrously high, so simple lifestyle changes could help and you can always self monitor at home ( Tesco sell a good cheap monitor which would be ideal)

Good luck.

• Posted

Hello there can you still reccommend a Tesco monitor Fisherman do you think they are any good?
  • Posted

Was this a one off reading or have you had a series of highs. One offs mean nothing as just having it taken can put it up.
  • Posted

I would presume he needs to check kidney and liver function to decide which meds to treat you with

Don't worry it takes two seconds and don't look and ask for the area to be frozen with spray

• Posted

This is my seconf attempt at sending my thanks to you all for your helpful comments.  The BP reading is an average over 24 hours of hourly checks.  I do need to make some lifestyle changes,  this I can investigate and make a start on  right now.  I did not know it is possible to have the area frozen before a blood test so will ask the nurse if she can do this for me.  Thank you for all the help.
    • Posted

That is high for a 24 hour reading. I get highs of 210/110 but my 24 hour average is not usually more than 150/75.

Ask if they can use a butterfly needle. They are much thinner and you would hardly feel it go in.

• Posted

Hi Derek,  I haven't heard of a butterfly needle so thank you for tellng me.  I feel happer now I know what to ask the nurse to do to help me have this blood test.  Glad I found this site, it's good to know that others can help from their own experience.
    • Posted

They use spray for children and hair thin needles, I had 17 files taken the other day, so glad that I'm not hemaphobic LOL my son used to be and my partner but partner ok now and son has no choice as goes all over the world , I suffer with spheksophobia
    • Posted

I was a bit shocked and so was the phlebotomist she went and questioned the consultant, all tests normal as usual except gamma gt buttthat'd a different ball game.
    • Posted

I'm still fainting at the thought of 17 tests.  You must be very brave.  What is gamma gt butthat'd ?
    • Posted

LOL it was only one blood test as such but it filled 17 files so they could do seventeen individual tests.

Gamma gt is part of liver function test and usually means you drink a lot, I'm a near enough tea totaller so they need to know why mine was high, my cholesterol was extremely high as well and that's going down now so having another test and hope it's gone down.

Sorry for stealing your thread, back to you

• Posted

I'm glad you "stole my thread" it has helped enormously to know that you, and many others, cope with these things and accept them as normal.  It is helping me to overcome my fears and be pragmatic about the tests I need.  It isn't the end of the world and I will get better at coping with it.
    • Posted

One of mine is a genetic test for hereditary motor sensory neuropathy that takes three months to get the result for. I questioned it as no one in the last two generations has has that type of problem and I'm sure that it would have shown up many moons ago if I had it.

I asked my GP today about those that were back and he said all normal. That must be the miracle of the week if my blood glucose, HbA1C and cholesterol have reverted to normal. I had my annual fasting blood tests yesterday and will have my T2 Diabetic session with the practice nurse next week.    

• Posted

You are going for a blood test. I'm going to have a pacemaker fitted in two weeks and they just do that under a local anesthetic.

• Posted

You make me feel ashamed when I realise what you are going through so very bravely while i am fretting about a simple blood test.  Unfortunately any sort of phoba can be deep-seated and not easy to overcome.  I know it will be better if I keep my fears to myself and accept they are minor compared with whan others are suffering.

• Posted

We all have phobias. I did once pass out when having a blood test but I was very tired and unwell at the time and fell off the chair. Please don't attempt to copy. 

Re spheksophobia, I was once on a bus when a wasp went down a ladies blouse. There was a scream followed by by a striptease. 

• Posted

My MIL friend had one fitted recently she is 86 and fine, it's changed her life, she has just come back from south Africa
    • Posted

Consultant said that I will still need bisoprolol for my AF but that side effects should then be less. Actually I stopped the minimum dose of bisoprolol about three weeks ago as it was affecting my balance and causing dizzy spells.
    • Posted

Derek, you'll be fine going through the pacemaker op and, if you're anything like my hubby, will have extra energy afterwards.  His was a 999 job after I found him collapsed on the bathroom floor early one morning, diagnosed by the paramedics as total heart block.  

Just ensure when they check it before discharging you that they have set it correctly - my neighbour was discharged with his pacemaker recently, and became very breathless.  His pulse was found to be in the 120s and on investigation the pacemaker was on the wrong setting!

I've joined you on the Bisoprolol (about 4 weeks ago).  Still on the Losartan as well.  Amazing sudden reduction in blood pressure after about 10 days.  Sadly that didn't last and it's gone back up to the 190's systolic again!  Will obviously have to have the dose increased shortly.  Renal consultant reckons I will need 3 or 4 different drugs to control things - that would be alright if I didn't prduce such horrendous side effects.  

Baking here now - no sun but soo humid so will have to get off the computer and get the fan going!

• Posted

I feel energetic and do a lot around the house. In fact last week we cleared out a cellar we rented in the basement and carted a lot of heavy stuff up from there to the lift  to a new bigger one we managed to get on our floor. My trouble when out is numbness in my left foot that I also blamed on Bisoprolol but it evidently was not the culprit.

A friend who had a pacemaker fitted about 20 years ago was a hill walker and was having difficulties until they reset it to suit his lifestyle. Soon after statins did for him and no more hill walking.

I often used to wonder if a neighbours one was set correctly as she used to easily get out of breath.

Any side effects from Bisiprolol yet?

Being not far from you we have the the same airless conditions today. Humity only 60% but to go up to 96% during the night.

We are told that due to weather conditions we may see the Northern LIghts tonight. Last night the weather was affecting our digital TV reception.

Keep cool:-) My wife is just back from the local pool. 

• Posted

Good, then you might feel even more energetic!

As for statins, hubby was prescribed those a couple of months ago - for Heavens sake, his cholesterol was only 4.8, having increased from 4.3.  He's filed it in the drawer.  I'm living with high cholesterol without treatment - can't afford to risk muscle pain after having spent more than 6 years on steroids for a condition that caused painful muscles!

The only discernible side effects from the Bisoprolol so far are swelling of the ankles and feet and a recurrence of the red inflamed blotchy skin around the lower legs caused by the Amlodipine last year.  The other effect I've already noticed is the inability to lose a couple of pounds in weight but the ease with which it's increasing, no doubt due to the Bisoprolol affecting the metabolism and reducing the heart rate.  So here we go again.  It wouldn't be so bad suffering these particular side effects if at least the pills reduced my blood pressure!

Aaargh, the thoughts of 96% humidity when we're trying to sleep!  Are you near enough to the sea for a midnight dip?

• Posted

On my way will teach you to swim LOL I went today local leisure centre, it was brilliant and only 14 of us as it was over 50s see getting older does have some advantages.

I hate the hot weather and I know I shouldn't but it makes me feel a bit edgy is that just me

• Posted

My wife does not go to the senior citizen sessions as they mostly don't swim just stand in the water chatting. At the pool she used to go to they used to call her the coffin Dodger as she swims slowly BUT she does 100 to 120 lengths three tmes a week at 80.
    • Posted

That's amazing, I do about 25 lengths five days a week, how long does she stay in for must be a couple of hours per session
    • Posted

Oh hats off to your wife, Derek - surprised you've never got her to give you swimming lessons!  My soon-to-be 90-year-old aunt swims 25 lengths 3 x weekly after an hour in the gym!!
    • Posted

Between an hour and a half and tw hours. She usually has to be out by 11.30 as they have Rehab and other sessions.
    • Posted

Your aunt must be very fit. Are you still going to the Gym? I've never been very keen on water. I did have two or three lessons when I was about 10.
    • Posted

Derek, I got sent home from the gym one day when they took everyone's blood pressure and found mine having a real hissy fit up in the 190's.    Haven't been back since.  Wonder if our blood pressure will go down in this hot weather - if the heat thins the blood then it will flow through the arteries more easily thereby reducing the BP, or is that wishful thinking on my part.  I'll take mine tomorrow.
    • Posted

People with Angina are evidently worse in the winter as their blood is thicker or stickier then. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.