Newly diagnosed as Hypertensive

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 82 and my GP says my BP is far too high (179/90).  Can anyone tell me whether it is necessary to have a blood test before treatment can be prescribed.  I am a needle/blood phobic and in a state of pnic about this.  MY GP has refused treatment unless I have a blood test.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

That's a very posh name for someone who fears wasps.  Is there a treatment for it?  I'm glad to know there are ways I can be helped to overcome my phobia.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.
    • Posted

Yea real snazzy name but reason I have it it's because I had a reaction once and now I'm scared of being stung again
    • Posted

No wonder you feel that way.  My sister had a wasp sting once and she really suffered.  By the way, I've been trying to figure out how to prononce it but haven't managed it yet.  Can you help?
    • Posted

I once sat on a wasp. At first I thought that my wife had left a pin or needle on the chair.
    • Posted

I know it's not funny, titter titter but I'm LMAO, sorry but sometimes it's good to laugh
    • Posted

I was in the house on my own at the time and was doing controsions to see the damage in a mirror. I could not remember the difference in treatments for wasp and bee stnigs.

One of my earliest memories was being stung in my thumb by a bee when out in my pram. 

Threre is a bit of film at an Army parade where a wasp goes into an inspecting officers mouth and in the best British manner he just swallows it. 

• Posted

Oh me too.  Was stung on my lip and swelling went down into my neck - looked like a hamster.  I'm petrified too - can't help flapping about when a wasp is about now even though I know we shouldn't - they do seem to make a beeline for me!!!
    • Posted

What makes me smile is when people say it's only a wasp, I say if it was a man with a gun what would you do, that's different they say to me it's not it could maybe kill me , to me it's the same difference LOL
    • Posted

It didn't help when I asked my GP if it the rumout I heard was true that once you had a bad reaction to a string, the next one could be fatal, and he replied "Yes"!!!  He added that I should keep antihistamine pills on me at all times and, in the event of a sting, take two and go to the nearest hospital.
    • Posted

How about when we have had a bad reaction to one drug? Lisinopril caused my lips to swell and a blister thing to come up on the back of my throat. I was told it was a 'classic' symptom by a student doctor who wished that she had seen it.
    • Posted

Not nice, Derek.  Isn't that one of the most serious side effects to look out for with a lot of drugs.
    • Posted

Yes, all of the 'prils' have given me problems. Enalapril brought me out in a rash. Ramipril and Perindopril also gave me problems.
    • Posted

Ramipril gave me nausea and fleeting temporal pains, so came off that almost as soon as I started on it - didn't want to risk a return of Giant Cell/Temporal Arteritis (inflammation of the temporal arteries) which carry a risk of loss of sight.
    • Posted

I have never been a good sleeper but I think since taking Losartan at night that is why I am hardly sleeping at all.
    • Posted

To prevent being light headed during the day. Quite a few doctors now seem to tell patients that with many drugs.I have alternated between morning and night or split the dosage for years. Recently it was mainly to avoid the Bisoprolol side efects that I was taking it at night,

The cardiologist who arranged for my pacemaker said in the phone converstion I had with him that it did not matter when they are taken, 

• Posted

That's interesting.  I have been told by one consultant that sometimes they recommend taking a newly prescribed pill in the evening just at first so that any initial side effects won't be noticed whilst we are asleep overnight - obviously meaning that they expect that any early side effects will dissipate as our bodies get used to the new medication.
    • Posted

To me if it is to reduce BP or heart rate it would make more sense to control them when you are active rather than asleep. But we never know how long the effect of any medication lasts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.