Newly diagnosed as Hypertensive

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 82 and my GP says my BP is far too high (179/90).  Can anyone tell me whether it is necessary to have a blood test before treatment can be prescribed.  I am a needle/blood phobic and in a state of pnic about this.  MY GP has refused treatment unless I have a blood test.

0 likes, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Have you heard of white coat syndrome.This puts your b.p. up when you visit the doctors.Yes ask for a butterfly needle and just turn your head away its no big deal.
    • Posted

Do surgeries all have butterfly needles? They seem to be more used by hospital departments where people have repeated testing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.