Newly diagnosed - help

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just diagnosed today after months of suffering. I thought it was just vaginal dryness due to menopause. Pleased to be getting treatment at last. However, can anyone tell me how long before split and itch subsides ? I have been given steroid cream to use twice a day and HRT tablets -,one a day.

Widowed but have met a terrific man and we have planned a weekend away beginning of February !! We're not close enough yet ( or intimate) for me to tell him. Panic !!!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello there, well it's good that you have a diagnosis and even better that you have met a nice chap. To answer your question is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string I'm afraid, everyone here has a different story. For me the treatment worked very quickly, just 2 or 3 weeks but like a lot of girls here I do get flare ups and I don't really know what causes them - although I know that if I overdose on sugar a flare up will follow. Likewise stress it a big thing and I think that's probably what caused mine in the first place. You will get lots of replies and information but my advise would be not to do too many things at the same time because you wont' be able to tell what is working for you. Anyway, good luck.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for advice. I have been stressed for such a long time so that could well be a major factor. Used cream as soon as I got it and the soothing relief is unbelievable. A few weeks yet to break away so I will play it by ear. Fingers and toes crossed this all works if for no other reason than feeling comfortable again

Thank you again Petalangel - take care xx

• Posted

Hi I was diagnosed April 2015 and my treatment worked really quick but I do get flare ups I've just read your reply thank you I'm gonna try and cut back on sugar to see if that's the reason I know it flares up when I'm due my period and during but I'm gonna give the sugar a try and cut back on it see if it helps Thank you xxo
  • Posted

Hi, The cream you have been given should work, but we are all different and react differently, so there is no telling how long it will take before you are looking and feeling better. 

If you have cuts or tears it is best not to have sex until those have healed. Perhaps you could move your weekend away for when you are completely recovered, as sex with any type of sore or cut will aggravate the problem, and your first weekend away could end up being a disaster.   I think I would want to mention that you have LS to your partner, because he needs to know if you intend to have relations with him.

• Posted

Hi Guppy007. I couldn't have sex now even if my life depended on it. I am cut from nothing more simple than toilet tissue!!! Although had been sore there for quite a while. It just got beyond a joke really. Thanks for your advice. If not healed or a bit better by weekend break I will mention it to him when the time is right.

Thanks again for your wise words

• Posted

I think it may be possible to be good by then if your body responds to treatment. Tell him when your ready don't stress yourself about telling him. If you get it under control and you don't have any tightening issues it possible to still have an active sex life. I hope you have an amazing weekend away xx
    • Posted

Your right, I 'read' beginning of January instead of February.
    • Posted

Thanks Justine89448.

As I said in a previous reply all advice gladly accepted. I am going to relax and go with the flow. Oh the joys !!!!! Relieved I'm not out of service for the rest of my life..... Not ready to shuffle about in my slippers yet !!!

Thank you so much for replying and for advice. Much appreciated x

• Posted

I agree with the lubricant but you need to wash it off after and use something calming my fav is hydromol xx
  • Posted

Maybe you could try using a lubricant like 'yes' if you do become intimate. Some members find that helpful. Wouldn't hurt to have some by in case. If you can get the area calmed down as much as poss beforehand you stand a better chance of a successful intimate event. I wish you the very best outcome. Some say that it helps long term to remain sexually active for as long as possible x
  • Posted

Can you tell me more about the HRT, what combination was prescribed?Also did your doc order cortisol cream or ointment?
    • Posted

Hi there. Yes I have ruminate cream for twice daily application ; Aquasol cream for bathing; and Livial hormone tablets one a day ( that's to treat vaginal dryness. It's two days almost since diagnosis and so far cream has calmed the pain and itch. I have read that I have to try to find out what is triggering it so I have cut out coffee - I drank far too much of it anyway. We shall see. I've started using fragrance free baby wipes when I 'go' to stop area being touched by toilet tissue

I swear any other help or advice would be much appreciated.

• Posted

Instant coffee is not great, real coffee is better, but even so it is a well-known allergen for some people.  Other issues for LS are Sugar, Gluten, and Dairy. Sugar is the main problem for LS in my opinion, and many women find cutting out sugar helps quickly, but for some women they need to stop eating Gluten, and for the unlucky few Dairy too.  I am Gluten, Dairy and Sulfite intolerant due to other health issues, but I do feel that is why my LS is manageable because I can't over indulge even if I wanted to.  If you plan on testing this theory, it is best to test one at a time, so that you will know what is causing you problems.  And so perhaps for a month you could start by cutting out any excess sugar in your diet and see what happens, you are looking for the "itch" to go away because  I believe that the "itch" occurs when there has been an excess of sugar in one's diet.  I also think there is a strong link between Candida and LS, brought on by an excess of sugar, and if you Google that you may find some interesting information. 
    • Posted

No I didn't. Doctor has referred me to Vulva Clinic but she said herself that could take weeks or months for the appointment to come through and that she had seen so many cases she was confident that it's LS. She had a good long poke around down there before telling me. Oh and that steroid cream was an auto correct mistake it should say Eumovate.

Positive note - I haven't itched there all day !!!

How long have you suffered from LS ?

• Posted

I was diagnosed about a year ago. No biopsy, just a visual from doc.I have always been uncomfortable in jeans, and from age 45-50 started with dryness. I could have sex with lubrication, being told that I had vaginal atrophy and dryness from menopause. My significant other and I broke up about 6 years ago, and we're apart for 3 years. There was no sex for me, and that made the tightening start. We reunited 4 years ago, and have not been able to have sex. If you don't use it, it does make it tighter and years occurred. I am now 64 and have almost given up. I have not tried the clobetasol steroid, because thought it would cause more thinning. It gets tricky, at this age to know what to do.Is it post menopausal or LS. Maybe that Is the value of the biopsy. Not anxious for more trauma to that area. I spray with water after URINATION, and notice that sugar almost immediately causes some itching, for which I take an antihistamine. There is inflammation most of the time. I avoid coffee and acidic food. I never wear underwear or pants.I live in Florida where I can wear long skirts and dresses. I am very careful of how I sit and move around. It is a strange existence. This support group is full of great suggestions. I don't have the nerve to try most things, but would like to try coconut or emu oil. Lubrication is important. The hot humid weather here in the summer is the worst for itching. Not anxious for anymore poking around by doctors. Sorry this is so long. I am very interested in HRT therapy, but most docs say that it is better to use topical hormone cream, such as Estrace. It could burn, so would rather take a pull. If you take hormones with estrogen, you might bleed, so there is another problem. Would've to hear from ladies who may be in my age group, to see if they use HRT. THANKS FOR SHARING EVERYONE!!!! I am not giving up, just extremely cautious.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for getting back. I'm 59. I wonder if my mother suffered from this.... I have vague memories of her excusing herself fro dinner table etc and whispering to me 'women's trouble' when in her 70's I'll never know.

If I can get this under control soon I'll be content with that. Why do so few of us know about this ? It's debilitating x

• Posted

Very debilitating physically and mentally. Some ladies have handicap stickers for car. It is so difficult to walk at times. Lower body exercise is not possible for me. I also have osteoporosis. I feel invisible to my boyfriend, and wonder when he will find someone else. On the outside I look normal, and not my age. Guys seem to notice me, but I know I have nothing to offer, so depressing.It really is very bad luck. I do not know why it is not well known, although I certainly never heard of it before. Maybe stem cell treatment is the only way to go. Very expensive, and needles in that area makes me cringe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.