Newly Diagnosed Hyperthyroid....advice please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I am new to the group and have just recently been diagnosed with hyper thyroid,    My symptons are sudden weight loss(over 14 lbs in a month!!), unbeliveable hot flushes and sweating constantly, tremors in my hands and a general anxious feeling :-( my GP has started me on 20mg nemercazole once a day and I am back for bloods in 10 days to check levels again and to check white cell count.  The results last week were TSH 0.001 and T4 64.  Today the hand tremors are the worst they have ever been and I literally could not hold my spoon at breakfast, my whole body felt like it was shaking - is this normal or could it be a side effect of the meds after 5 days???

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

meant to say my GP is also referrring me to endo for further tests

• Posted

Hi Anna

I had tremors and shaking when I was diagnosed but they soon went when the meds kicked in, which usually takes about 2 weeks. The same with the sweating and flushes. 

• Posted

What you described are absolutely the same symptoms everybody gets with hyperthyroidism.   Hyperthyroidism can be caused from an infection in which case it would be transitory, nodules on the thyroid or a large goitre.  Mostly hyperthyroidism is caused by the autoimmune disease Graves Disease where antibodies attack the thyroid gland and cause it to overproduce thyroid hormone.  The medication you were given blocks thyroid hormone.  Tests your Endocrinologist will administer should more clearly define the cause of your disease.  Another autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's which usually results in hypothyroidism can also present with hyperthyroidism so antibody testing can clarify that.  Some people have both Graves and Hashimoto's.  Patients who do research on their disease once they are diagnosed and know what it is, and do all they can to promote their healing stand the best chance of recovery.  Most doctors will recommend a course of antithyroid drugs to start but in North America particularly, doctors really push radioactive iodine ablation or thyroid surgery and then treatment with thyroid replacement drugs.  Many people who have these latter two procedures (which are irreversible) often regret it because they never feel normal.  I and others who have done our research are getting good results by combining the antithyroid drugs with supplements like  vitamin D, L-carnitine, magnesium, Bugleweed, Motherwort and Melissa which all help with the symptoms.  Your doctor will not know about or recommend these supplements but you can research them and make a decision as to whether or not to take them.  Because hyperthyroid patients lose a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their bodies, taking vitamin supplementation makes a lot of good sense.
    • Posted

thanks so much for the info, i think i need to do a lot of research or maybe i should consult a herbalist/natrupath to see what supplements could work for me.  I am hopeful that I wont be waiting too long for an endo appt and they can do further testing to see if it is graves or hashimoto's - should I ask my Go for anti body test when i go back for bllod tests or wait for endo do you think?  i was just really concerned that suddenly since starting meds last week my tremors were so bad so quick

• Posted

Usually Endos do the tests.  I recently asked my General Practitioner for antibody tests and he was not knowledgeable about them because these particularly ones are not routinely done and he preferred to have the Endo do them.  Palpitations or the shakes can be very troubling and contacting a naturopath is a good idea for that.  The Melissa and Motherwort are good for that and very calming as is Magnesium.  The carnitine also helps a lot with symptoms and even helps to block the excess thyroid hormone  Acetyl-L-Carnitine works better with Graves and regular L-Carnitine also helps.  Some people will take both.  I tried both but the Acetyl-L-Carnitine was what really helped to normalize my values and lower my antibodies.
  • Posted

Hi anna,

sounds a classic case of hyperthyroidism to me.   If you have only just started on the meds they might take a few days to kick in so wait and see before worrying about side effects.  I am sure you will feel better once they kick in.  My gp prescribed a beta blocker at the same time to control the shaking. You could discuss that with your doc if the shaking doesn't stop. 

• Posted

im back next week for bloods so will ask her then especially if they are getting worse

• Posted

I agree with Anna.  My doctor prescribed Propranolol, a beta blocker before she even gave me the antithyroid meds.  You could discuss this with your doctor before you get to the Endo.
  • Posted

Hi Anna i just been told ive got overactive thyroid im on meds as well ive been on them  a week.
    • Posted

are u noticing any improvement julie my doc said within a week to 10 days you should start to feel back to yourself
    • Posted

No i hav'nt noticed anything yet Anna i can't wait to get back to normal.How long did you say you've been on them and do you feel the benifit xx
    • Posted

I am only on the meds a week julie so need to give it more time but i have found the symptons worsening the last few days.

• Posted

Hi Anna

I've been recently diagnosed too, around mid December.  I had lost 3 stones in 3 months and had bad tremors.  As soon as I was put on the beta blockers (propranolol) they stopped almost straight away.  I've just been diagnosed with Graves disease in the last week.  My TSH was 0.06 and FT4 was 55.  Do you have dry eye or eye symptoms too?  The tremors were a recent symptom for me but I've had chronic fatigue, anxiety and eye symptoms for 20 years.  I'd speak to your doctor as soon as possible about the beta blockers because if your pulse rate is high you need to protect yourself whilst the condition is brought under control.

• Posted

I have no eye problems nisee but i definately need to go back to my doc re: the tremors are they are really bad and i feel really down at the moment too.  Cant keep my emotions under control and kep crying in work the last few days

• Posted

Yes it does affect the emotions too, it can be a roller coaster.  My pulse rate with tremors was 130 (70 to 100 is the ideal range).  When your pulse rate is high you are at risk of stroke so please see your doctor urgently. 
    • Posted

Anna, your thyroid controls your hormones. .take heart you are not going mad . Unfortunately it is all part of it..I had no social life for many months..felt too down..funny how doctors don't explain all this!. Go to health shop and get some vitamin B ..it may help ..hang in there
    • Posted

well back to doc yesterday and she has doubled my dosage of meds to help things get started, my mood has deifintely improved this week and Im not feeling so down thanks God it gores from strength to strength

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.