Newly Diagnosed Hyperthyroid....advice please?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,

I am new to the group and have just recently been diagnosed with hyper thyroid,    My symptons are sudden weight loss(over 14 lbs in a month!!), unbeliveable hot flushes and sweating constantly, tremors in my hands and a general anxious feeling :-( my GP has started me on 20mg nemercazole once a day and I am back for bloods in 10 days to check levels again and to check white cell count.  The results last week were TSH 0.001 and T4 64.  Today the hand tremors are the worst they have ever been and I literally could not hold my spoon at breakfast, my whole body felt like it was shaking - is this normal or could it be a side effect of the meds after 5 days???

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anna, the meds usually take 4-6 weeks to kick in, its very much a waiting game.

sorry to say but you will probably feel like crap for at least a year as the meds slow you down and carbimazole has it's own side effects. You should be having monthly bloods..take care of yourself and listen to your body, as it will probably be up and down for awhile

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed a link as it was to an article unrelated to the topic.

• Posted

Wow 4-6 weeks my doc seemed to think within 10 days max you would feel better.  God this disease really sucks :-(

• Posted

Hi Anna

Calissa here, how r u feeling today :-) I felt a lot better after 2/3 weeks on 20 mgs, although your t4 is higher than mine. What was your t4 range?

• Posted

hi calissa my t4 range was 12-24 feeling no better today, im ringing my gp on the morn to discuss the tremors with her. hopefully in a week or two i will start feeling better too
    • Posted

Yes anna this disease really does suck - big time. .I had radioidine therapy a month ago and only just starting to feel almost normal after 14 months..is yours graves or nodules?
  • Posted

Hi Anna, yes classic symptoms, my whole body shook/tremors especially the backs of my legs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.